The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

If on the off chance that the predicted 2020 coaster isn't a giga, I would love to get a B&M flyer right where Firehawk was just for the meme. I can just imagine the countless number of times you would hear "Isn't that Firehawk? I thought they tore it down". Seriously though a B&M flyer would be cool to get since there isn't one really close. It would just feel weird to replace a flying coaster with a new flying coaster

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Guys, how do we even know we’re getting a Giga?

B&M has done other work such as wooden coaster car production, and yes their trains are designed to run backwards.

*cough* *cough*

5147A963-1083-43FE-B041-F41B10A744C1.jpeg

B&M Giga SoB remake confirmed, with double tracks so that one goes backwards? I'd totally say so. Bonus if Intamin prefabricates the track. :rolleyes:

In more serious news, has anything else interesting been spotted on the Banshee camera? Asking since while I know they won't build out there, it would be interesting to see if the park is moving a lot of dirt, more than what we think would be needed for the antiques and anything for the I-Street reno.

• Haha 1

First half, B&M track. Second half, Intamin. And backwards cars. That wraps around the Eiffel Tower. Then turns into a Dive Coaster. Diving into the Royal Fountains. Afterwords, you will he sent into MT's shed, where the drop track will take you to China. The final bit will involve travelling at 900mph in the sky, passing up even Boeing 767's, back to the station. ;)

LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, JubJester said:

Since we're doing percentages, what is the chances of this thread turning into a hyper thread (200 pages)?

I'd say about 20%. I fully expect on opening day there to be signs of construction and a wall with teasers up. At that point the "decoding 2020" thread will get opened on the main KI subforum and this thread will get pretty silent. Only a couple months till that point, so another 60 pages wouldn't be likely without spamming. The last two months have only had 18 pages for comparison. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, fryoj said:

I'd say about 20%. I fully expect on opening day there to be signs of construction and a wall with teasers up. At that point the "decoding 2020" thread will get opened on the main KI subforum and this thread will get pretty silent. Only a couple months till that point, so another 60 pages wouldn't be likely without spamming. The last two months have only had 18 pages for comparison. 

I mean the off season is pretty dry. Once there’s teasers and stuff everyone is going to be flooding this place with their thoughts. I’d say there’s a 40% chance we’ll get to 200 but if the rollercoaster is announced somewhat early then that’d probably result in the end of this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I mean the off season is pretty dry. Once there’s teasers and stuff everyone is going to be flooding this place with their thoughts. I’d say there’s a 40% chance we’ll get to 200 but if the rollercoaster is announced somewhat early then that’d probably result in the end of this thread. 

This place being KICentral. Not this thread. Decoding 2020 will be the thread everyone will be posting in. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, starlitfire said:

B&M Giga SoB remake confirmed, with double tracks so that one goes backwards? I'd totally say so. Bonus if Intamin prefabricates the track. :rolleyes:

And on a somewhat unrelated note, has anyone else ever found it ironic that wood coaster trains built by primarily-steel coaster manufacturers have been on the some of the notoriously rough/violent wooden coasters in history?

B&M on Psyclone

Premier on SOB w/loop, Bandit @ Movie Park

Gerstlauer on SOB w/o loop

Intamin on Coaster Express, Magnus Colossus

Morgan on Texas Cyclone @ SF Astro World, Riverside Cyclone @ SF New England (In the 90s I've read)

But to be fair, five of the eight instances mentioned above had/have a rather important characteristic in common...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BeastForever said:

And on an unrelated note, has anyone else ever found it ironic that the wooden coaster trains built by primarily-steel coaster manufacturers have been characteristic of the some of the roughest wooden coasters in history...

B&M on Psyclone

Premier on SOB w/loop, Bandit @ Movie Park

Gerstlauer on SOB w/o loop

Intamin on Coaster Express, Magnus Colossus

Morgan on Texas Cyclone @ SF Astro World, Riverside Cyclone @ SF New England (In the 90s I've read)

But to be fair 

I’d say that maybe it could be because wooden rollercoaster manufacturers make their own trains for the most part and have perfected  their design. RCCA on the other hand was a relatively new manufacturer that didn’t have the resources to make their own train so they outsourced it, which would explain the trend. More experience resulted in manufacturers like GCI the ability to make their own trains.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, chugh43 said:

Going back to the "chances of a Giga" being the 2020 project...last year at Coaster Stock, Mike Koontz, GM, during a Q&A said that he recommended to the Cedar Fair board that the park should install a Giga Coaster, adding that to the Notice of Commencement I'd say our chances of a Giga coming to KI would be in the 90%-99% range.

Just because he recommended it doesn't mean it's definitely happening. It makes it more likely though. 

54 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

When did the first teasers for Fury get released at Carowinds?

Edit:  I guess what I mean is, when did the public first get any indication that a major attraction was coming?  Land clearing, footer work, park teasers, etc.

During the offseason before the 2014 season, people had their speculation about Fury but it really ramped up when the teasers saying Rome wasn't built in a day showed up during the 2014 season. (This was teasing about its original to be named Centurion but was later changed to Fury 325)

Edit: The Centurion trademark was filed on (2013-10-18) but has since been unused and has an abandoned status as of (2019-01-14) meaning it is unlikely to be the name of any Cedar Fair future attraction.

Edited by Coaster Critics
Added info to my answer

What if the new coaster isn't a giga? I could see a new flat ride package, maybe a different B&M model, but the recent giga rumors from the past few years have been wrong. I'm not trying to be contrary, just reminding people to keep an open mind.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:53 PM, gforce1994 said:

Guess what got published? The specifications on KI’s Giga.

13251C39-3269-4207-8F79-80A062F0143C.jpeg

Well, this is the Giga thread!

Wow, this is such a huge giga! I can't wait to see this record breaker when I go to KI next spring!:lol:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, MaxxForce said:

What if the new coaster isn't a giga? I could see a new flat ride package, maybe a different B&M model, but the recent giga rumors from the past few years have been wrong. I'm not trying to be contrary, just reminding people to keep an open mind.

The thing is B&M doesn't make Flat Rides.....so.....there likely will be a B&M Coaster....the likelihood is high that it'll be a Giga. The rumors of the past have been fan made, without logical evidence...we already see evidence that it could be a Giga, based on information throughout this thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxxForce said:

I mean everyone wants a giga, the park wants a giga, who doesn’t want a giga? Based off of all the evidence, recent events & Cedar Fairs history a giga at this point is certain. The only debate at this point is when we get it. I for one assume it’ll be 2020.

5 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I was looking at job listings for Kings Island and one of them required you to work up to heights of 380feet. Interesting....

There multiple attractions that are 300+ ft, this is just a filler number. Further more it doesn’t really matter since that requirement is for this season, the requirements can change seasonally.

6 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I was looking at job listings for Kings Island and one of them required you to work up to heights of 380feet. Interesting....

I'm pretty sure that's just a standard job listing throughout corporate, since Corporate does the listings not Kings Island.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Is CP different? haha They would have to work upwards of 420'? haha

Sure...but it's just a general job listing...ride operators could have to walk up to a certain height like listed....and I doubt many of the ride hosts at CP would work at heights of 420'...seems like a maintenance kind of requirement...of which they'd use an elevator.

Looking at a mechanic- ride maintenance position requirements it says that they would need to be able to work at 300 feet above ground. https://jobs.cedarfair.com/job-detail/9164985/mechanic-ride-maintenance-cincinnati-oh/#tab-id-2

I would like to see this listing where it says 380 feet, because a basic search on the job portal does not produce a listing where it says that the person would be required to work at 380 feet.