The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

1 hour ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

Plans can get cancelled or delayed at any time. We would have heard a lot more by now imo if this really was a humongous giga project. 

They announced Banshee 8 months before it's April 2014 opening. Carowinds, another Cedar Fair park, announced it's humongous giga project 7 months before it's opening. What on earth makes you think this project would be announced 13 months before it opens or that they'd release more info on it? 

2 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Would you be able to confirm what part of the commencement specifically states that the potential project will occupy the Firehawk space? Thanks. 

Nothing is saying this has to go to the Firehawk spot. It says B&M is building something at KI. B&M builds coasters. KI is getting a coaster. The Firehawk thing is just a strong coincidence and a likely landing spot. Just like they tore down SOB and the go cart track right before using that location to build Banshee. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It doesn't say that it will occupy the space, but if the decision to remove Firehawk was in fact made in the middle of the summer (like Don said at the GOCC event), which would be like July or August, that kinda lines up to the time when the notice of commencement was filed which was in August. 

Double post: This has been brought up before, but if the decision to remove Firehawk was indeed made in the middle of Summer like has been claimed, the new coaster probably won't directly interact with the old Firehawk location. You don't just make major changes last minute like that with $30+ million dollar projects. This would have been planned out for years. Minor changes like queue, lockers, or support buildings might get changed that late in the game, but I think B&M would have had a fit having to go re-engineer plans that late in the process. 

• Like 5

I think people forget that dollars (i.e.sales) are what matter to a business.  The marketing focus right now would be to drive up sales of tickets/passes for the 2019 season. 

For the park to talk about or reveal anything which wouldn't be available until 2020 doesn't make much sense yet.  Especially before the 2019 opening day.  The focus from marketing right now is what is coming in 2019. See the blog and social media posts...  

Once activity becomes too hard to hide, then it makes sense to start teasing.

• Like 4

KI started teasing Banshee as soon as the park opened for the 2013 season. Hopefully we will see something around opening day this year. Does anyone know when the first footers for Banshee started showing up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KevM86 said:

KI started teasing Banshee as soon as the park opened for the 2013 season.

Which reinforces my point, right now the focus is on 2019. Once the park opens things change. 

Anyone saying the park should have "already been teasing teasing by now" isn't thinking in the best interests of the park.

• Like 2

Which reinforces my point, right now the focus is on 2019. Once the park opens things change. 
Anyone saying the park should have "already been teasing teasing by now" isn't thinking in the best interests of the park.
I agree. There is no reason to tease a 2020 project before the park even opens for the 2019 season. Just going from past projects I would think we will be seeing some teasers for the 2020 coaster not long after opening day. I can't remember when Banshees first footers started showing up but I thought it was around June or July.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Maddog said:

couldn't agree more. It would ruin the renovation of international street if before it was even unveiled they announce a coaster and turn everyones attention to that. They won't give any sort of hint until after the renovations that are be doing right now are revealed and they can use that to draw in people. Then they will start teasing and to stir up excitement and attendance. But for the next month all the talk will be on international street

15 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Ok well per TOS you would need to share your source if you make a claim like that.

I know this is not necessarily any proof, but Tony Clark was quoted saying that the park is focused on going retro for the 2020 season, and they are not necessarily going to build some huge roller coaster

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article%3fsection=features&headline=cedar-point-planning-150th-anniversary-with-retro-ideas-for-2020-what-we-know-so-far&contentId=95-145df88a-e120-4f2e-b337-484d5a927c3e

4 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Would you be able to confirm what part of the commencement specifically states that the potential project will occupy the Firehawk space? Thanks. 

Look at what has happened in the past. Plus, legal documents.  Also, I never said it was confirmed to occupy that space. If you want to see more for yourself, go up in an airplane...

• Like 3

I wise man once told me, pay attention to what they do, not what they say.

Prior to or coinciding with Banshee, KI upgraded a restaurant, spruced up some rides and re themed Flight Deck to The Bat.

Prior to Mystic Timbers, KI upgraded a restaurant (Potato Works), spruced up some rides (Water water canyon entrance)

In recent seasons, they've added a restaurant, spruced up a ride (retracking part of The Racer) and added a ride (tiques)

They've spent the last couple of seasons sprucing up and doing work around the area they expect high traffic for their next major installment, the kind of ride that will get people to come to KI for the first time since they came to ride Mysty, and they want that area of the park to look as fresh as possible for their new toy.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Look at what has happened in the past. Plus, legal documents.  Also, I never said it was confirmed to occupy that space. If you want to see more for yourself, go up in an airplane...

Past additions aren’t going to tell us exactly what is going to happen. The removal of Firehawk was credited to the issues that have been discussed at great length. Using the legal documentation as proof or a reason to “laugh” doesn’t change the fact that there is no proof that anything is happening on that specific piece of land. It doesn’t mean it isn’t going to happen, but to make bold claims requires a bit of information to back it up. Right now there isn’t any. 

There is paperwork that suggests that a B&M project was in the works when it was filed. This could still be the case or something may have changed. We don’t know just like we have no idea of know what type of coaster could potentially be built. Or where it could be built.