The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

That the exit ramp and queue were left along with the(might be an) electrical transformer box where the lift used to be are much more interesting that what trees are gone/still standing. O'Rourke would have been hired to rip out the ride and footers. Why would they want those items left? Reusing them seems to limit them somewhat. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pez said:

GM Koontz told the crowd at coasterstock last year that he requested the Cedar Fair board invest in a Giga coaster for Kings Island in the next 3-4 years.  That would put us at 2021-2022.  The hype fence might not go up until next year.   The soonest we could see land clearing is later this year.  The markers would be out of sight so we might not be able to tell if anything is going on back there.  I'm afraid the speculation will have to continue for some time.  It does seem a bit out of character for Kings Island to rush the Firehawk demolition (complete with station removal), but taking this to mean construction is imminent is likely fallacious.  

What he said was that the presentation that he presented to corporate was for the next 3-4 years. It's basically like those 5 year plans parks talk about.

• Like 1

Here's a good question: If the giga addition and Firehawk removal are unrelated, then what does that mean for the entrance/loading plaza of the ride? I still assume that it will be in the back of the park, but would it take space over in Action Zone in the unused area around Banshee? I assume that the location of the antiques takes using the DA area out of the occasion. If it doesn't fit where Firehawk was then there's unlikely no other place to put it in Coney Mall that doesn't interfere with Racer in some way.

I'm just trying to come up with new discussions that hopefully don't bring up discourse (since it seems that the removal of Firehawk is becoming an issue in here).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^Yes, but also remember that B&M uses few support beams on their giga lifts.  They might be able to bridge over some of that using few supports.  Also, we haven't seen what the area around AE looks like yet.     

Maybe, but the path would be needed to create access road for crane to construct it.

With the amount of land cleared (as of now, they could clear more for all we know, but I'm talking about now), I think it'll be a B&M dive coaster, but if it is, I want more of a Valkyria or Baron 1898 and not Valravn or Yukon Striker.

42 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

He said he requested it. It doesn't mean it'll happen. Corporate has the final say on it. They could decide to go another route.

One would think if their own employee, who happens to be in charge of the park and who has the best interest of the park, suggested something they would listen. I know its not a for sure. Just saying one would think. I think it will be a HUHE let down if its not a giga.

A giga makes the most sense to me. But I also remember hearing and saying the same thing when the speculation for Banshee started. Heck, I believe for a brief period, a lot of people believed that Mystic Timbers was going to be a giga when they began teasing that project. So while I'm hoping for a giga, since we know it is in fact a B&M, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At this point I am not sure about anything. Haha At this point to me they listed B&M as a joke on the notice haha

Throwing this out there. What if B&M is listed because they are going to give Racer new trains. Remember B&M has wooden coaster trains. haha

Maybe a stupid question but, the notice of commencement mentions B&M and the years 2018,19,& 20. That means B&M is starting something at the park within this time period but does that also mean that any projects listed here would also be finished in those years? Say B&M started their project in 2020 at the end of the season it wouldnt be ready until the 2021 season 50th anniversary season? Just a thought.

11 minutes ago, KevM86 said:

Maybe a stupid question but, the notice of commencement mentions B&M and the years 2018,19,& 20. That means B&M is starting something at the park within this time period but does that also mean that any projects listed here would also be finished in those years? Say B&M started their project in 2020 at the end of the season it wouldnt be ready until the 2021 season 50th anniversary season? Just a thought.

It states the project name as "2018, 2019, and 2020 Additions and modifications to Kings Island Park" The construction of coasters run into the year they are opening. If it was opening in 2021, it would be listed as the 2018 ..... & 2021 addition etc. The NOC is to state the project is starting. If the project name didn't list the years, it could be an open ended discussion. They specifically listed the years for a reason. As we know the 2018 and 2019 additions and modifications aren't by B&M. The 2020 addition will be. Sure the Media team likes to play games and do diversions. The people filing the plans with the County do not. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, KevM86 said:

So according to the NOC, B&Ms project will be completed in 2020?

NOC's don't give specific timelines for completion usually. But KI tipped their hand with the titling of the project. Parks don't open rides any time but the start of the year unless there's problems. By titling the project as the 2018, 2019, & 2020 addition, they told that the project was for those years. Like if you asked what KI's 2014 addition was, the park would say Banshee. The 2020 addition will be by B&M. 

• Like 2

True. You never can discount the possibility that Cedar Fair might sell the park to Rumke to be used as a landfill. Or that B&M might decide to stop making coasters immediately and start selling taco seasoning. Those are all possibilities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You might be right fryoj.  My friend who works at the Warren County Department of Roller Coasters said if they don't have construction completed by midnight on December 31, 2020 ownership of the park reverts to Scooby Doo.  

I believe Kings Island has plans to build a Giga coaster because Mike Koontz made public the fact he asked the Cedar Fair Board for it.  He wouldn't have mentioned it if he wasn't fairly certain it was going to happen.  This is bolstered by the fact that they filed a notice of commencement with the county listing B&M as a contractor and B&M makes giga coasters.  I don't think it will be a wing or dive coaster because Cedar Point has those.  Holiday World also has a wing coaster.  No other park in the region has a B&M giga so that would be the stand out addition.  

I am not convinced that Kings Island is committed to opening the prospective giga coaster in 2020 because of the filing of the notice of commencement.  I don't know if that means the work of those contractors is expected to be complete by 2020 or if that was a list of contractors they planned to engage within the three year time frame even though their work may not be complete before the end of 2020.  I am unaware of the legality present necessitating the filing.  Personally, I give more weight to what Mike Koontz said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

@fryoj dude you are not even worth a rebuttal. All you do is try to stir the pot. Grow up. So who wants to actually add to the topic and not just post crap.

I'm sitting here supplying facts from county documents and you are over there trying to say that info from a document that was submitted 7 months ago has been cancelled or delayed a year. Yeah, I'm the one who is just posting crap and stirring the pot. 

• Like 1

[mention=8652]fryoj[/mention] dude you are not even worth a rebuttal. All you do is try to stir the pot. Grow up. So who wants to actually add to the topic and not just post crap.

How can you say he is stirring the pot?! You just said “if the plan is still a GO”. I think you are trying to stir the pot if you think they filed commencement plans in August and then magically cancelled them less than 6 months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1