The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Well, we have a name at least... :lol:

I can see it now... "Coming in 2021, it's Gigabar, the 345 ft. tall coaster with an 85 degree first drop, that sets the bar for other coasters to follow. This coaster races along 6,392 ft of track at speeds of up to 91 mph. Gigabar... Set the Bar!" #setthebar

-MDMC, letting his imagination run wild!

#whatsinthebar

10 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

FYI: There is a Diamondback train back on the tracks.

I just saw that.... which is wildly disappointing because the last time I looked at the camera, the cars were all still sitting and waiting. I love watching the process happen on that camera, and I missed it on the first train!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since Cedar Fair is picking up their theming, and theming is pretty expensive. CS is amazingly themed. Do you think KI's giga might have amazing theming but would have to sacrifice being a longer coaster than Fury 325? If that happened, would you be fine with that?

1 hour ago, kiisgreat said:

Since Cedar Fair is picking up their theming, and theming is pretty expensive. CS is amazingly themed. Do you think KI's giga might have amazing theming but would have to sacrifice being a longer coaster than Fury 325? If that happened, would you be fine with that?

The way I see it is that if you’re investing 30-40 million dollars in a ride you might as well add theming. It’s not incredibly expensive when compared to the cost of the ride. I’d rather see theming even if it meant the ride was shorter.

28 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

The way I see it is that if you’re investing 30-40 million dollars in a ride you might as well add theming. It’s not incredibly expensive when compared to the cost of the ride. I’d rather see theming even if it meant the ride was shorter.

I think you have that backwards. When Universal or Disney build rides, including coasters, the price tags can be in the $100+ million range. The theming, rockwork, and extras are what drive the cost up. Now if you are just considering a truck in the queue or having the station designed to look like an old building as the theming, then sure, that can be done cheaply. But if you want a well themed ride, the price can climb significantly. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2019 at 10:06 AM, Ben43065 said:

Maybe I should have told my self that when I added Fast Lane to my platinum passes.

How much was your season FL? I got it last year for 500, but was debating and now that I decided too, it's 550 :(

3 hours ago, fryoj said:

I think you have that backwards. When Universal or Disney build rides, including coasters, the price tags can be in the $100+ million range. The theming, rockwork, and extras are what drive the cost up. Now if you are just considering a truck in the queue or having the station designed to look like an old building as the theming, then sure, that can be done cheaply. But if you want a well themed ride, the price can climb significantly. 

I’m talking about the level of theming for copperhead strike and Mystic Timbers, I’m not at all imply Disney level theming. 

Also I thought my season long Fast Lane was $500 each but the website says it’s now $550, maybe the prices increased?

• Like 2

On 1/25/2017 at 4:04 PM, Xdog42 said:

I agree with everything in this thread. Cedar Fair is going to give a Giga to KI likely in 2021 or 2022, and if everything is right it should be about 345-355 feet tall. I think it will be a B&M and it could use the S.O.B station and could run behind x-base and around. I think the color scheme shouldn't be green it feels to close to Fury imo, Just some thoughts.

Hopefully they get a Giga earlier than that like 2020 since Kings Island usually gets a new ride every 2 years and antique cars probably didn't cost them much so.

19 hours ago, silver2005 said:

When you ride something that's doing 90+ mph, are you really paying attention to theming at that point?

The theming is usually at the entrance. Of course your not going to pay attention to theming at 90+ mph because they usually isn't none at that point.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Other than any park records that it might set I dont think a Kings Island giga coaster would set any world records.

With the amount of land and resources Kings Island will have for a giga coaster... it will break at least one world record, a lot of reddit enthusiasts think the coaster could have a 400ft drop!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Beasttamer said:

Theming is all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day a terrain coaster has more theming by default than a parking lot coaster like Fury 325 so I say spend the money on getting us a record breaking coaster. 

You do realize that the entire layout won't adhere to the terrain even if that's the case, right?  It's gonna have some other bigger elements to burn off the momentum from a multi-ton train doing 90+ mph.  Too many low elements would make for a lot of positive G's.  A giga that has just a lift and a bunch of turns and S-curves would be pretty unimaginative. 

11 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Other than any park records that it might set I dont think a Kings Island giga coaster would set any world records.

When we get a giga I fully expect it to have a higher chain lift hill than Fury 325, which last I checked would be a world record.

11 hours ago, silver2005 said:

You do realize that the entire layout won't adhere to the terrain even if that's the case, right?  It's gonna have some other bigger elements to burn off the momentum from a multi-ton train doing 90+ mph.  Too many low elements would make for a lot of positive G's.  A giga that has just a lift and a bunch of turns and S-curves would be pretty unimaginative. 

intimidator305, look at that coasters layout, its all low to the ground with one or two hills, why can't this go up and down with the hills, underground, etc? You can do so much more than either of us think. Look at The Beast for example, it takes advantage of its terrain and is one of the best coasters in the world.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Beasttamer said:

With the amount of land and resources Kings Island will have for a giga coaster... it will break at least one world record, a lot of reddit enthusiasts think the coaster could have a 400ft drop!

Just because it's on the internet/reddit doesn't mean it'll come true.

43 minutes ago, DonkeyKong said:

When we get a giga I fully expect it to have a higher chain lift hill than Fury 325, which last I checked would be a world record.

What are you going to do when the lift hill is lower than Fury 325? 

8 hours ago, silver2005 said:

When you ride something that's doing 90+ mph, are you really paying attention to theming at that point?

While you wouldn't be able to really make anything out, Trees and other obstacles would increase the sensation of speed. 

39 minutes ago, Beasttamer said:

Reddit is just behind this board and the Dippin Dots guy for reliability. 

39 minutes ago, DonkeyKong said:

Thats brings up an interesting question. At what point does a chain lift become impossible or impractical due to weight of the chain? 

• Like 1

^ I would say that depends really on how its designed/how the strong the links are.

Steel Dragon for example, switches to another chain midway up its hill.

But evidently, B&M has been able to make it work for 300+ feet in height using just one.

Or at least, let's just say that if Fury can be 325 ft tall with just one chain, I would imagine that they could make it work for 326 ft. (But preferably 330 ft so it can be a whole 100ft taller than DB ;) )

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

Just because it's on the internet/reddit doesn't mean it'll come true.

What are you going to do when the lift hill is lower than Fury 325? 

Do you honestly believe  that when we eventually get a giga it won’t be bigger and better than the last giga b&m designed and manufactured? Fury 325 came out 4 years ago b&m is more than capable (and cf/ki has the money) to make something awesome. I mean honestly why would they take a step back??

1 hour ago, DonkeyKong said:

Do you honestly believe  that when we eventually get a giga it won’t be bigger and better than the last giga b&m designed and manufactured? Fury 325 came out 4 years ago b&m is more than capable (and cf/ki has the money) to make something awesome. I mean honestly why would they take a step back??

Because they don’t always break records? Banshee for example wasn’t the fastest or tallest invert when it opened. And plus giga records are somewhat hard to beat. To be the tallest giga it’d have to be 368 ft and to be the longest giga coaster it’d need to be the longest coaster in the world. I wouldn’t be surprised if it broke the US giga height record.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Because they don’t always break records? Banshee for example wasn’t the fastest or tallest invert when it opened. And plus giga records are somewhat hard to beat. To be the tallest giga it’d have to be 368 ft and to be the longest giga coaster it’d need to be the longest coaster in the world. I wouldn’t be surprised if it broke the US giga height record.

Exactly, people are saying it's be the tallest giga in the world just by beating Fury 325. But, Red Force at Ferarri Land is 367 feet. 

9 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

It is a possibility...this mentality sets folks up to be disappointed and then we get the constant "what's the point?", "I'm not going to renew my pass now.", "it should be higher.", etc. comments. When in reality fans should just be grateful our park is getting invested in. 

Bigger is not always better. And the comment of "why would they take a step back??" is laughable. You're assuming it's going to be a step back for something that no one has even ridden yet....you're assuming that it's not going to be a good experience anyway, even IF it doesn't beat 325 feet tall. That's laughable.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Carowinds still advertises Fury as the tallest/fastest Giga in the world. PortAventura doesn't call Red Force a Giga. Intamin doesn't count Red Force as a Giga. They count it as a launched.

From when I entered the coaster world about 15 years go a giga was “any” coaster between 300ft-399ft. 

10 hours ago, BeastForever said:

^ I would say that depends really on how its designed/how the strong the links are.

Steel Dragon for example, switches to another chain midway up its hill.

But evidently, B&M has been able to make it work for 300+ feet in height using just one.

Or at least, let's just say that if Fury can be 325 ft tall with just one chain, I would imagine that they could make it work for 326 ft. (But preferably 330 ft so it can be a whole 100ft taller than DB ;) )

Adding a second chain adds a lot of complexity.  You either have to add another motor to drive the chain or some sort of mechanism to drive the chain.  On Steel Dragon they were concerned about the weight of the chain, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1