The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

15 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I hope to heck it /doesn’t/ have a number in the name, personally.

I could not agree more! All of the Giga's north of the ohio river do not have a number so far. Let's keep it that way.

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

In my concept above I came up with the name Alien Invasion. They could have some sort of storyline with it. They could even tie Firehawk in with it and say that Aliens invaded Xbase and Firehawk got kidnapped by Aliens and was never seen again.

A giga bird snatcher? 

4 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I don’t really have any names to fit with the X-Base theme but I do have a few ideas of folklore names they could maybe use.

• Wendigo 
  • Alp

With Alpengeist already being a coaster, I'll put the chances of Alp being used at close to 0

Something space related how about Nebula or Nova. Nova 350 for the 350ft drop it's going to have. Not a fan of numbers in the name either just thought I would throw one in there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

"A Notice of Commencement is a document that formally sets the beginning date of a project, or the date on which a supplier first provided materials or labor. It is filed and recorded in the corresponding local or state office in the county in which the project is located, and generally must be provided to other project participants and posted on the jobsite." This is the definition of a Notice of Commencement. I'll post the link to the website where I found it.

https://mechanicslien.com/what-is-a-notice-of-commencement/

I asked this very same question before and was basically told that if the project wasnt going to be finished until 2021 then the notice of commencement would be for 2018/19/20/21.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Alp is actually a German folklore creature, not at all related to the alp mountains. 

Alpengeist is german for Ghost of the alps. I stand by my previous statement. With there being a well known coaster already using the German name for Ghost of the Alps, the chances of them using a German folklore creature named Alp for a new coaster is close to 0. 

2 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Alpengeist is german for Ghost of the alps. I stand by my previous statement. With there being a well known coaster already using the German name for Ghost of the Alps, the chances of them using a German folklore creature named Alp for a new coaster is close to 0. 

Please don't lol

image.png

You can google who Incubus was in mythology, but basically a demon.

That extra '-en' makes it a different word despite the similar phonetics. 

image.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Please don't lol

image.png

You can google who Incubus was in mythology, but basically a demon.

That extra '-en' makes it a different word despite the similar phonetics. 

image.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpengeist

Theres my source. I'm not a native speaker and neither wiki nor Google translate are always correct. For the record google translates Alpengeist to alps spirit. 

Semantics though. The point was not literal translations. 

The ride it’s self is themed to a run away ski lift while the Alp folklore creature is completely different and has nothing to do with with the Alp mountains to which Alpengeist is clearly themed to. I don’t know why we really need to debate wether or not the name is ok when it was just a thought I had.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben43065 said:

The ride it’s self is themed to a run away ski lift while the Alp folklore creature is completely different and has nothing to do with with the Alp mountains to which Alpengeist is clearly themed to. I don’t know why we really need to debate wether or not the name is ok when it was just a thought I had.

I was just saying why they wouldn't use that one idea you had. I didn't say anything against your other idea. I didn't attack you personally or question your moral fiber. If you don't want discussion about your ideas, posting them on a message board may not be the best course of action. 

• Like 1

In order to go along with the xbase theme, I looked up Ohio mythological creatures. The one that stands out to me is the Loveland Frogman. It’s is said to have been spotted in Loveland by the Little Miami River.

My guess would be something related to the Frogman like Jumper or something. Another one that stood out as a cool name alone would be Minerva monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

Nobody has given a valid reason other than “I don’t want one”.

That is not true at all...many have given reasons including things such as proximity to other like coasters, the similarities to what we already have, etc. 

15 minutes ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

There hasn't been a B&M flyer built in this country in 10 years. They just aren't popular and seem, to me at least, to lead to more nauseous guests than other types of coasters. Also, to tear a flyer out just to build another one is not great for marketing. There would be guest confusion. I'd put the chances of a flyer at sub 5%. 

Wing and dive are possible. Just not as likely as a giga. The parks they have built wing and dive coasters, they built after the park already had a giga. Diamondback is the most popular ride in the park. It is more popular than the newer Banshee. A wing or dive would be more similar to Banshee than Diamondback. Also, the rumored location in X base, you are already close to two coasters with inversions, Vortex and FOF. A non inverting coaster rounds that area out better. I'd put the chances of either dive or wing at 20%.  

1 hour ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

Are you guys still not considering it could be a wing, flyer, or dive? Lol

While anything is certainly possible, he's my reasons why I don't think it will be any of those 3....

Flyer... They just removed a flyer.  Sure B&M might be better (never ridden one so I can't say either way) but to the general public I think it wouldn't feel like anything new.  If it was 15 years from now, sure, but get to get rid of one flyer for another version just doesn't seem like an easy sell.

Wing...I'd love to see a winged coaster at KI, however, its my feeling that Ki and CP are sold as a joint destination (we see the any 2 days tickets, one at each park).    CP's wing coast is still new enough that it doesn't feel like one at KI would complete the other park and vice versa, each park should aim for complimentary additions that will drive long distance visitors to visit both.

Dive... see what I said above, but add in that I think a Dive should happen were it provides good eye candy.  Tucked back into X-Base the general public won't get a chance to watch the dive from all over the park.  I think a Dive would make an excellent selection as a replacement for Vortex (once it eventually sinks), Invertigo or BLSC.  If it replaced Invertigo, it would give the park a new "entrance" coaster feel without obstructing the view or affect of walking thru the entrance and seeing the fountains and the tower.  Seems like congo falls would have to move (or be removed) as well to make room for a Dive in that area.  Give the CP Dive coaster another 5-10 years and I think you'd have a winner at KI.

Finally, personally I feel like its time for a Giga at KI.  To be honest, I thought that way a few years back, until I happened to ride Renegade at Valley Fair.  I immediately thought "this is what KI needs" and was more than thrilled when I found out what Mystic Timbers was to become.  I still think they could use another intermediate coaster, something along the lines of fire chaser (or whatever its called) at Dollywood, something that would suite the 44"-46" crowd/family that is not quite big enough (or brave enough) to get on The Beast, Racers, Vortex, etc...  I actually think they need that type a little more than a giga, but after installing a 48" ride, I don't see them coming back with something that will be perceived as a "kiddie coaster" for its next major addition.  If they went Giga-fire chaser-Dive over the next 10 years, it would be awesome.  A nicely themed wild mouse could work as well for that intermediate coaster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

KI isn’t that close to any park. I highly doubt CP cares about that.

They are roughly 200 miles away....in the same state and owned by the same company.....the same company isn't necessarily going to put the same or close to the same ride product in our park as the Flagship park within a short amount of time frame since they were installed at their flagship park. Kings Island isn't owned by Six Flags....their goal is not to make both Ohio parks the same....it's not a good business model....different markets call for different things. 

Even outside of Cedar Point....Holiday World is the closest park with a Wing Rider...which is "the only launched wing coaster," why would KI add a wing rider with a 2nd one within ~200 miles of the park and a 3rd within ~300 miles away?

Why would Kings Island get a Dive Coaster when there is one in the same state, ~200 miles away....and there are 2 others that could be visited on a day trip from the park? 

Why would a Flyer be added when B&M hasn't added a Flying Coaster in the United States since 2009? Why would KI add another Flying Coaster after removing one? 

KI is a lot closer to other parks than many realize. Cedar Fair is the ones to make the decisions, not CP and I'm certain Cedar Fair is actually concerned about over-saturating their parks/markets with the same type of experience, especially within the same state.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

KI isn’t that close to any park. I highly doubt CP cares about that.

I think the reason it won’t be a dive or wing is because it’s easier to market a type of rollercoaster they haven’t recently built compared to marking 2 dive coasters within 4 years. Compared to Mill force which was built 19 years, a giga would be easier to market since it hasn’t been recently built. Ohio’s largest metropolitan area (Columbus) is a shared market and it needs to be taken into account when marketing the new attraction. It’s easier to market a coaster type that hasn’t been built in a while compared to 2 rollercoasters of the same model.

4 hours ago, FlightTimberHawk said:

Personally I'm not completely ruling out floorless, wing, or dive, but I just don't think they're as likely as the Giga (per GM Koontz request to Cedar Fair board), and other reasons.

I am ruling out flyer though, for the reason stated below....

On 3/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, BeastForever said:

These are all the B&M coaster models. The ones X'ed out are what I'm personally ruling out beyond reasonable doubt...

image.png

Reasons to rule out:

Invert: See Banshee

Sitting: While I certainly wouldn't object, I'd be surprised if they went with this model and forgo the marketable "gimmick" of floorless trains. They're practically the same type of coasters anyway, just with different trains.

Stand-up: HA! That's a good one...

Family [Invert]: See Flying Ace

Flying: Just removed Firehawk.

Possibilities still in play:

Wing or Dive: Many are ruling these out because of the presence of GateKeeper and Valravn, but I will ask this...

Does anyone else feel like we take too much stock in the supposed proximity "issue" so commonly cited. After all, the presence of Raptor didn't stop Banshee. And if GK and Valravn would supposedly stop a wing or dive from happening, why wouldn't Rougarou then rule out a floorless?

Is it because GK and Valravn are both still "too new" for KI to receive something similar, while Raptor and Rougarou are/were "old enough"? Is it because Inverts and Floorlesses are more of staples while Wings and Dives are more of novelties?

Or am I answering my own question?

Floorless: While you can't go wrong with a floorless, it just wouldn't seem like the blockbuster addition that KI would want. And if this means anything, the park's lineup currently features 20 total inversions, which puts them at being among the most in the world (https://rcdb.com/ib.htm). Any looping coaster would just be adding more to something we already have plenty of.

Hyper [Giga]: This remains to me as the most likely candidate.

@Ben43065 Actually, by population,  Cleveland MSA has the highest population, followed by Cincinnati MSA, with Columbus MSA as third. Cincinnati is actually the largest population wise, but since you specifically said Ohio, its second, since we are leaving out Northern Kentucky and Eastern Indiana. 

Edited by sixohdieselrage
Autocorrect screwed up what I said. So, fixed it.
  • Like 1