The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

2 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

@Ben43065 Actually, by population,  Cleveland MSA has the highest population, followed by Cincinnati MSA, with Columbus MSA as third. Cincinnati is actually the largest population wise, but since you specifically said Ohio, its second, since we are leaving out Northern Kentucky and Eastern Indiana. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dispatch.com/news/20180322/columbus-metro-area-now-bigger-than-that-of-cleveland-and-gaining-on-cincinnati/1%3ftemplate=ampart

According to this article Columbus recently passed Cleveland. You’re counting the Cleveland’s statistical area then it’s bigger but by metropolitan area Columbus appears to be bigger.

10 hours ago, KevM86 said:

I asked this very same question before and was basically told that if the project wasnt going to be finished until 2021 then the notice of commencement would be for 2018/19/20/21.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree. If the notice of commencement was for the construction to just begin in 2020 and not be completed, they would probably have to file for 2021 as well because construction would continue on into the first 4 months of that year.

• Like 2

OK, so I am not in the building/construction industry, but...A person above stated that a NOC has to be filed to inform the local government that work has begun on a project(s) that have previously been approved by their departments.  If this is the case, wouldn't the plans for whatever is going to be done on file?  It's not like the park can go to the city and say, "Hey, we are going to build a roller coaster, we will file our NOC when we are ready to begin!"

Also, I would think a NOC would cover the years listed.  They don't have to file a NOT (Notice of Termination) do they?  ;)

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

Files may be available for viewing..they may not..

Sounds like a trip to the Warren County Building & Zoning department might be in order. I’m there several times a month for my job, perhaps next time I’ll inquire on the availability of drawings to the public. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If something is presented before a city committee, I would think it would be a matter of public record.  

It is public record. 

Let me clarify, I don't know if there is in-fact plans actually at the Building and Zoning department in Warren County.

I also would like to look for these docs. The NOC is on a website and easily accessible. How do you go about finding the actual plans. I don’t think they are ever listed online so it seems you would need to find them in person. Does anybody know where to go or what to ask for when you get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

It is public record. 

Let me clarify, I don't know if there is in-fact plans actually at the Building and Zoning department in Warren County.

I’d love to see the permit drawings for Firehawk’s demoliton. Perhaps they would give some indication to anything new in that area if there was a site grading or drainage plan. I’m not sure if plans are required for every demo job (a permit itself is, and I would think they’d want a drawing to know the scope of work) but any information would certainly be interesting to see. 

7 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^So, by extension, if the poster was correct that the NOC is filed after plans are approved, the permits/paperwork should be available by whatever protocol the local governing body has in place.

I don’t think that you have to file drawings and have them approved before the NOC is filed. In this case, that would require submitting permit drawings years in advance of the actual mobilization for construction, which really isn’t feasible from a design perspective. I think it’s more like they are saying “Sometime in the next 3 years we are building things, this is our declaration of a start date for lien purposes”. 

I’m not sure of Warren County’s process for obtaining the paperwork- I will find out next time I’m there. Some (permits-no drawings) of it is available online, but I couldn’t find anything very recent.

I don’t think that you have to file drawings and have them approved before the NOC is filed. In this case, that would require submitting permit drawings years in advance of the actual mobilization for construction, which really isn’t feasible from a design perspective. I think it’s more like they are saying “Sometime in the next 3 years we are building things, this is our declaration of a start date for lien purposes”. 
I’m not sure of Warren County’s process for obtaining the paperwork- I will find out next time I’m there. Some (permits-no drawings) of it is available online, but I couldn’t find anything very recent.
I'm just extrapolating here. I kind of hope nothing is there because I want to enjoy the beginning of this season and all it has to offer before all the drama of speculation begins.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is not legal advice, but recording a notice of commencement is required before the performance of labor or work.  ORC 1311.04(A) (1).  The notice expires after six years.  ORC 1311.04(S).  "2018, 2019 & 2020 Additions & Modifications to Kings Island Park" is a brief description of the improvement to be performed on the property.  ORC 1311.04 (B) (2).  It is supposed to contain sufficient specificity to permit lein claimants to identify the improvement.  Id.  

1 hour ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I’d love to see the permit drawings for Firehawk’s demoliton. Perhaps they would give some indication to anything new in that area if there was a site grading or drainage plan. I’m not sure if plans are required for every demo job (a permit itself is, and I would think they’d want a drawing to know the scope of work) but any information would certainly be interesting to see. 

Plans would have to be approved before they started work. Thats a pretty solid rule. No one starts construction before they know they are going to have approved plans. What happens if you start spending money and they reject your plans?

Now whether those plans are publicly accessible is another question. I'm not sure what arrangements KI has with the city/county. Universal, and probably Disney, has things set up so that their plans are kept private for proprietary reasons. If you do find things though, send me a PM. lol

8 hours ago, fryoj said:

Plans would have to be approved before they started work. Thats a pretty solid rule. No one starts construction before they know they are going to have approved plans. What happens if you start spending money and they reject your plans?

Permit drawings and an NOC are two different things- plans would certainly have to be approved before work begins, with the exception of site grading. You do not need a permit to begin excavation or trenching for footings with a permit as long as no concrete is poured or anything structural occurs. Site utilities (such as stormwater and fire/potable water lines) need to be permitted. I’m merely saying that the NOC is a blanket document that can cover many different individual projects (think KMAA and a proposed/rumored Giga, completed within 2018-2020 but two completely different projects). I’ve seen plenty of projects where there is a large amount of grading or clearing to be done and the sitework contractor wants to get started before the permit- as long as their contract states that the scope of work is subject to change until the permit drawings are appoved and they are responsible for any changes that would arise based on comments from the county, they could start working. 

From the Warren County Building and Zoning Department website: “If you are planning to start construction right away, you can excavate all you want, but you cannot pour any concrete until the permit has been issued and a footer inspection has been made.”

Someone correct me if I am wrong.... my construction law class was a few years ago. 

3 hours ago, KevM86 said:

The plans for Banshee were leaked online towards the end of July I believe. I can't remember when MTs plans were leaked but I want to say it was even earlier then Banshee.

How were they leaked if they were readily available to the public?

• Like 3

How were they leaked if they were readily available to the public?
Ok, I can remember seeing the plans for Banshee posted online for the first time around the end of July I think. Maybe "leaked" the wrong word but it's not a big deal so chill out just a bit.

2 hours ago, KevM86 said:

Ok, I can remember seeing the plans for Banshee posted online for the first time around the end of July I think. Maybe "leaked" the wrong word but it's not a big deal so chill out just a bit.

Chill out a bit? Excuse me for asking a question and you taking it as I’m attacking you. My bad, sorry I hurt your feelings for questioning how something could be leaked if it is available to the public. Please. 

^ Wow, Ok well I apologise for the misunderstanding. I guess I took your response as a smart remark rather than a legit question. I did not mean to upset you so badly by using the term "leaked".

Anyway... It seems as though Banshees prints were posted in an online video on August 1st 2013. It's possible they were available before then but that's when I had first seen them. Then wiki says that Mystic Timbers prints were submitted and became available in June of 2016. I think we're still a few months away from seeing any blue prints for coaster 2020 if there is one.

2 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

What is a ride element you would consider must have in a Kings Island Giga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see speed and ejector air. Alao, an inversion like a barrel roll would be interesting, but not mandatory.

I don't want too steep of a drop or else it may have to need OTSR's or shin restraints.  No inversions either for the same reason.  

I personally would like to see a turnaround like PortAventura's Shambhala.

See the element at the 1:17 mark.

• Like 3