The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

14 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This thread is for speculation, the other is for decoding. 

Plus this thread was created first and we cannot "officially" confirm that the 2020 project will be a giga until the park makes an announcement. 

Unfortunately, it seems as if this thread has not been very active lately now that the Decoding 2020 thread exists...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Unfortunately, it seems as if this thread has not been very active lately now that the Decoding 2020 thread exists...

Well that thread as well as this one will probably be locked when the announcement comes about the 2020 attraction. If it had a layout of a dive coaster or something like that I could see this thread still being used but everybody's pretty certain that it's a giga.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, medford said:

Would you rather have a 286' coaster with a 300' drop or a 300' coaster with a 286' drop?  That is really all that matters for the lift hill; classification claims are strictly for marketing.

300 ft tall coaster, you get more potential energy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

300 ft tall coaster, you get more potential energy.

True, you have more potential energy at the top, but that is only good if its converted fully into kinetic energy.  That is where this ride will hopefully shine.  A coaster is simply viewed as an exchange (ignoring friction) of mechanical energy to potential energy to kinetic energy, back to potential, back to kinetic........ and finally mechanical energy to bring it to a stop.  286 foot tall vs 300 tall is minutia, its that exchange of energy and the forces it creates that will make or break this coaster reputation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

So a lift hill that's 300 feet tall and then drops you 286 feet will have more potential energy than a lift hill that goes up 286 feet, but drops you 300? 

Assuming, the same starting point, yes.  it will have the same total energy (ie when it drop 286 feet there is still 14 feet worth of potential energy there, but it will be traveling slower as that 14 feet wasn't converted into kinetic energy.  Now consider this coaster that gains 286 feet, and drops  300 feet, it will eventually have to burn off that extra 14 foot of energy gain before it returns to the station.  However, since most coasters don't hit the breaks at low speeds, that 14 foot gain could be used to pace the coaster and make full use of that elevation gain.

The common complaint with Leviathan (I've never ridden it, so just what I've read) is the height of the brake run, so much potential energy wasted.  This ride's brake run doesn't appear to be quite as high, so hopefully that means this coaster makes better use of its energy as it traverses the course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I always thought that the higher the drop is the faster it goes. 

Its the net elevation change.

Which is going to go faster at the bottom, a coaster like the pumpkin coaster that raises 10 feet in the air, and drops 8? Or a hypothetical coaster at the grand canyon that starts out level (0 feet) and drops 400 feet into the canyon?

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, medford said:

Now consider this coaster that gains 286 feet, and drops  300 feet, it will eventually have to burn off that extra 14 foot of energy gain before it returns to the station.  However, since most coasters don't hit the breaks at low speeds, that 14 foot gain could be used to pace the coaster and make full use of that elevation gain.

I read this as though you are implying a 14 foot "extra" boost. More simplified is just considering this a coaster with a 300 foot drop. The relevance of 286 gets thrown out in a sense.

I imagine Kings Island will refference the height of the drop much more so than the height of the lift hill when promoting the ride.

Guess KI will never get a true giga like the other main Cedar Fair parks and have to settle for the worlds tallest hyper/kmart coaster/goodwill giga. I've been looking at the various POVs over on the decoding thread and frankly this looks looks beyond disappointing and frankly boring. What a waste of $ by Cedar Fair

12 minutes ago, Legion_SS said:

Guess KI will never get a true giga like the other main Cedar Fair parks and have to settle for the worlds tallest hyper/kmart coaster/goodwill giga. I've been looking at the various POVs over on the decoding thread and frankly this looks looks beyond disappointing and frankly boring. What a waste of $ by Cedar Fair

Dude, get over yourself and move on. It’s not a Kmart/goodwill coaster. Compare it to Leviathan. You really think Levi is better than this one? Sheesh. Just go to the other parks and stop complaining about this one. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Legion_SS said:

I get good stuff at goodwill:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

Dude, get over yourself and move on. It’s not a Kmart/goodwill coaster. Compare it to Leviathan. You really think Levi is better than this one? Sheesh. Just go to the other parks and stop complaining about this one. 

I actually do go to Cedar Point quite a bit. I'm just voicing my opinion on what looks like a junk ride, hence kmart coaster. Nothing wrong with being critical of something. I have not been to Canada from just from POVs I've seen, yes, Leviathan looks far better.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Legion_SS said:

I actually do go to Cedar Point quite a bit. I'm just voicing my opinion on what looks like a junk ride, hence kmart coaster. Nothing wrong with being critical of something. I have not been to Canada from just from POVs I've seen, yes, Leviathan looks far better.

There’s nothing wrong with criticism, but you didn’t criticize it. You simply stated that it was a Kmart/goodwill coaster, disappointing, boring, and junk. Why not actually elaborate on why you think that? Explain why you think Leviathan is better? It’s just really annoying to see everyone attack the ride without giving any actual reason for doing so. 

• Like 7

On 6/1/2019 at 8:01 PM, Legion_SS said:

So where is the POV of KI's new coaster to compare it to?  Or are you just complaining to complain with no actual factual basis?

2 hours ago, medford said:

So where is the POV of KI's new coaster to compare it to?  Or are you just complaining to complain with no actual factual basis?

Maybe try looking in the decoding 2020 thread. There have been plenty of fan made POVs made based off the blueprints leaked. Any no, I think based off the information we have, it's going to be a very subpar, boring coaster.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Legion_SS said:

Maybe try looking in the decoding 2020 thread. There have been plenty of fan made POVs made based off the blueprints leaked. Any no, I think based off the information we have, it's going to be a very subpar, boring coaster.

I REALLY want to know why you think that. You keep talking poorly about it but no explanation. What could possibly be boring about it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

I REALLY want to know why you think that. You keep talking poorly about it but no explanation. What could possibly be boring about it? 

Because it looks like a tame version of diamonback which I really enjoy. It's a bit taller but lacks the airtime hills of Diamondback. The few elements it looks to have dont seem to be anything special.  Maybe I was expecting too much from a KI giga. With all the land available,  I was hoping maybe they would take back the longest steel record from Steel Dragon, or tallest/tallest drop.

And also, if I ride it and it blows me away, I will be on here saying how it changed my mind and how wrong I was about it. Then just sit back and wait for the KI cowboy coaster to eventually be built..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Legion_SS said:

Because it looks like a tame version of diamonback which I really enjoy. It's a bit taller but lacks the airtime hills of Diamondback. The few elements it looks to have dont seem to be anything special.  Maybe I was expecting too much from a KI giga. With all the land available,  I was hoping maybe they would take back the longest steel record from Steel Dragon, or tallest/tallest drop.

Well I mean, that was your own fault for expecting something giant and extravagant like that. I can definitely understand expecting something longer, but not longer than steel dragon lol. I personally find the elements to be really cool, especially the turnaround and helix-thing (forgive me, don’t know the term) at the end. I think an 86’ difference between dback and this will be pretty significant. Thank you for elaborating. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...