The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

59 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

While we are on the subject of names, I noticed @Cmhornblessed added the height # at the end.

Who would be in favor of the height included in the name and who would not be? Tell us why!

I would prefer it not be, but understand why it is done. The reason why is I would want something original!

I was thinking of that too! Personally, I don't mind it with the coasters that have been already statistically named Like I-305 and Fury 325 but just imagine if CF did that too all their Giga's..... Millenium Force  310! Leviathan 306! Or even Diamondback 230. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

If they did go the way with our maybe one day Giga I wouldn't be mad. But still, I would want our Giga to stand different from the other CF Giga's in a certain way, Where people see ours and they know its unique and the best in the world. I want CF and KI to go all out on this coaster in every way, including theme and I consider the name apart of the theme. When you think about it the name "Fury 325" has nothing to do with Hornets, I'll give I-305 a pass because Dale Earnhardt was nicknamed "The Intimidator" So the name works with the theme, If CF & KI could do it like I-305 I'll give the statistical name a pass and would happily accept it.

In all, Like  @IndyGuy4KI I want our Giga's name to be original and at this point putting the height# of the coaster at the end isn't really that original.

1 minute ago, Maverick44 said:

Wow I missed a lot of comment on this thread.  So any idea on what season it may be when KI gets a giga?

2021 is likely the best time to do it, If I'm correct it would be the parks 50th year anniversary(If I'm wrong someone please correct me). And It also gives them 4 years from the opening date of Mystic Timbers to get land and the idea of the coaster ready and I would suppose to save up some cash for the project.

• Like 2

^ Question is do we all expect a new coaster at CP in 2020? I feel like there will be an addition. That's just me thought. I think 2019 or 2022 would seem right for KI. Not sure if they put something in at CP in 2020 if they will want the competition being 4 hours away. That's just my own thoughts. haha

• Like 1

I understand that they don't care about them but for their flagship park and its turning 150 years old. I could see them caring about that one of any. I could see them going 2018 SV and then taking 2 seasons off. 2020 could bring something. That being said I think CP gets something wild for 2020. KI will be the next giga in the chain. Fingers crossed for Intamin :P

• Like 1

I want it to be called Stealth. As in B-2 bomber. 

Alternatively, references to the Wrights or even Patterson would not go unappreciated. 

I feel like Cedar Fair's naming lately has been a little sub-par. I love Mystic Timbers' ride experience immensely but its name less-so. I hope that some real thought goes into the naming of what I hope to be a KI giga. But I'd settle for Centurion ;)

• Like 5

Why would they do something? It's a term that a fraction of a fraction of their guests would recognize. I can't imagine it being a priority.

Consider also how the park typically teases new coasters. It doesn't usually involve writing out what it is coming anywhere, let alone in snow. And it involves hints that regular guests can recognize as hints. I don't think an industry term written in the snow necessarily qualifies as that.

I'm telling you from experience that ride operators sometimes get access to those kinds of visible-but-not-guest-accessible areas. A good number of ride ops are enthusiasts themselves (or at least heavily interested in the industry, but not enthusiasts in the traditional sense.) That it's an industry term written in that kind of location--especially one visible by the webcam, which enthusiasts are prone to watching closely--says to me that a ride op was just being mischievous.

All of us, including myself, love looking for hints of new rides to come... I just don't think this is one of those times. :)

• Like 7

Anyway they would not place a giga near MT. They are going to the other side of the park with a ride like that. That would be odd to have the entrance of a giga by their Hyper. That being said I am just speculating as well. 2019 could be interesting.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 8:33 PM, LoadAndGo said:

I'm not looking for a pattern in past decisions. I'm looking at it from a business perspective. It seems that a lot of enthusiasts forget that decisions are made with ROI in mind. In the end, amusement parks are designed to make money. Building a $30 million coaster two or three years after building a ~$14 million coaster just doesn't make business sense.

Furthermore, what is after a giga? If KI builds a giga in the near future, how do they follow it? Look at the GP's reaction to Mystic -- "why are they building a smaller coaster after building Banshee?" KI really doesn't need a giga, at this point anyway.

What makes you think it was 14 million? I never heard KI make an official announcement regarding cost of the project. Prowler was only 8 million and is just slightly smaller. Account for 9 years inflation which would be roughly 400K and an extra million or so for The Shed plus additional theming, and we're still not to 10 million in cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

We might want to consider the terrain and obstacles..  WWC, pond, train.  That might bring the price up too!

Ha! I knew someone was going to say that. Yes, that probably drove cost up a little bit, but not 4 million. Also, consider Cedar Fair most likely has a some sort of "package deal" or contract with GCI that stipulates lower cost per project based on number of projects given to them the last ten years or so (Hint: WindSeeker). It happens frequently in business, especially in construction.

• Like 1

Just now, Maverick44 said:

Wiki shows the cost of MT was $15 mill but I'd take that with a gain.

I know, saw it. That would put it at almost twice the cost of Prowler and they are both very similar rides in terms of scale with exception of theming and a little extra cost for terrain. Numbers don't add up IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirbias1 said:

What makes you think it was 14 million? I never heard KI make an official announcement regarding cost of the project. Prowler was only 8 million and is just slightly smaller. Account for 9 years inflation which would be roughly 400K and an extra million or so for The Shed plus additional theming, and we're still not to 10 million in cost.

I don't know the actual cost. I've heard $12 to $15 million. I was just using $14 as an estimate. Seeing that the park hasn't announced anything, I take it all with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

In regards to numbers: If it fits with the theme of the section it goes in, then I'll be fine. Otherwise, putting it behind Banshee (using this as an example) and giving the height number in the name doesn't seem too original.

Whatever year the coaster comes out probably won't mean much as long as it gives healthy competition to CP and doesn't kill all of CP's attendance there (unlikely, but possible if we were to get a major install and CP got little to nothing despite the GP coming from two different markets). So while I see a 2019 date likely with the off-year happening this year with very little announced, it could happen in 2021 for all we know. It's anyone's guess, but with the years between major coasters decreasing, this could add to the trend or have no correllation at all.

• Like 2