The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Keep in mind that a property boundary does not tell all of the story.  Topography is a big challenge to building things as well (adds cost to foundation design, construction, access, etc.).  Since the river on the east side of the property is the Little Miami, which is a National and State scenic river, there are likely certain setbacks that have to be observed from the river (not to mention the topography by the river is likely a larger slope and less suitable for building on). 

My bet would be for Coney Mall to receive the next major addition.  Other than Windseeker being added, that area of the park hasn`t really seen much attention.  Keep in mind that before Mystic Timbers was built, we got a new funnel cake stand...  This coming year we are getting a new building in Coney Mall...

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Firehawk007 said:

I think that if it was a real sign it would be erased by now, but there was fresh snowfall the other day and it does look like it has been re-written since Wednesday when it snowed. 

Are you thinking that whoever is pulling this prank is ensuring it continues for as long as possible?

• Like 2

Just now, LoadAndGo said:

Are you thinking that whoever is pulling this prank is ensuring it continues for as long as possible?

But all of the associates have been termed for the season, so there is no way in around the security team they have up there. They’d be caught almost immediately. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Firehawk007 said:

But all of the associates have been termed for the season, so there is no way in around the security team they have up there. They’d be caught almost immediately. 

I'm not sure that is entirely true. There are still seasonal employees in the park taking down Winterfest decorations.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I don`t think seasonal employees can just "sneak around unquestioned" in a closed amusement park.  They do have security at the parks in the off season.

I suppose there are guards stationed at all the entry points. Seasonal employees have some sort of pass I assume that is no longer valid. They probably wouldn't make it through the gate.

• Like 2

Security is definitely present at KI in the off-season, but it's not an impregnable border control like some suggest. Many seasonal workers from Winterfest (especially supervisors) still have business in the park to do, wrapping up the 2017 season and preparing for the 2018 one. Select seasonal associates have access to that area, and definitely have the motive to keep the prank going. I highly doubt that this is an indication of things to come in this decade (I anticipate 2021/2022 giga), and you are all being prank'd by a teenager with 20 minutes to kill on break.

• Like 4

I don’t think this is an associate still. There’s plenty of previous evidence with Cedar Fair and following the bread crumbs. Dino’s was removed this year much like the re-route of the wwc entrance, or the removal of thunder alley. You can almost anticipate the move 

• Like 2

Just an observation. “Giga” is still in the snow on the MT camera view. If the park was upset about it being there, don’t you think they might shovel it out or throw salt on it? .... reminds me of a song “Let’s give em somthing to talk about.... a little mystery to figure out”

• Like 3

KI desperately needs a Giga.  If you compare KI to CP, KD, CW, CWinds, you notice a glaring hole.  I saw a comment about HW and KK.  Both of those parks do not compare to KI in any area.  I live much closer to those parks and I never visit KK and rarely visit HW.  CF does not need to worry about those fake parks.  I am still confused about the addition of Mystic Timbers.  It has to be one of the least exciting new coasters I have ever ridden.  It must have been built for people who like old technology and antiques.  As a kid, KI was a park that put in innovative rides not a plain wooden coaster that goes 50 and is 100ft. tall.  If you like this type of ride, the park had two of these coasters already. Anyone that states KI needs coasters like this or flats have either never ridden a Giga or are actually scared of fast/tall rides. There is nothing KI needs more than a Giga and this is not debatable.  If you follow CFs pattern of installs, 2019 will be the year.  Also if you compare KI to CP, then KI is typically 20 years behind.  All these maintenance upgrades/painting/ etc. should not even be discussed as projects.  This should be done without announcement and without affecting future ride additions.  I just hope it happens to see everyone flip flop their yearnings for flats and kid rides.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, upstop said:

Just an observation. “Giga” is still in the snow on the MT camera view. If the park was upset about it being there, don’t you think they might shovel it out or throw salt on it? .... reminds me of a song “Let’s give em somthing to talk about.... a little mystery to figure out”

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

I doubt the park is upset about it...as they've got better things to do than worry about a word written in snow. Why haven't they cleaned it up? Probably because it's below freezing and they also have better things to do. 

49 minutes ago, KIGiga2019 said:

KI desperately needs a Giga.  If you compare KI to CP, KD, CW, CWinds, you notice a glaring hole.  I saw a comment about HW and KK.  Both of those parks do not compare to KI in any area.  I live much closer to those parks and I never visit KK and rarely visit HW.  CF does not need to worry about those fake parks.  I am still confused about the addition of Mystic Timbers.  It has to be one of the least exciting new coasters I have ever ridden.  It must have been built for people who like old technology and antiques.  As a kid, KI was a park that put in innovative rides not a plain wooden coaster that goes 50 and is 100ft. tall.  If you like this type of ride, the park had two of these coasters already. Anyone that states KI needs coasters like this or flats have either never ridden a Giga or are actually scared of fast/tall rides. There is nothing KI needs more than a Giga and this is not debatable.  If you follow CFs pattern of installs, 2019 will be the year.  Also if you compare KI to CP, then KI is typically 20 years behind.  All these maintenance upgrades/painting/ etc. should not even be discussed as projects.  This should be done without announcement and without affecting future ride additions.  I just hope it happens to see everyone flip flop their yearnings for flats and kid rides.

Whoa....Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom are fake...they don't exist. Yup....Mystic Timbers was built for people like me...I love old technology and antiques. That must be why I see a ton of young people riding it, families with young kids too. They sure do love that technology and antiques.

I've ridden a great amount of coasters across the country and can tell you I believe the park should get flats before a Giga.....oh and I've ridden all 4 Giga's on the North American Continent. 

This is not debatable? Check yourself bud. As far as pattern of installs...what's happened in the past doesn't necessarily mean it's gong to happen in the future. If you think that maintenance upgrades, painting, etc. should be done without affecting future ride additions you must not understand how capital improvements work. They $ that would be used for such things comes from the capital improvement funds...if the improvements are more needed than a ride, the $ budgeted will go toward that and the remainder can go toward a new ride/attraction. 

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, KIGiga2019 said:

No disrespect, but this is the kind of sentiment that has destroyed the charm of KI. Roller coasters are not the end-all-be-all of amusement parks. Gigas are certainly not the end-all-be-all of roller coasters. It's such a narrow view of the industry to think otherwise. Guests are trending toward more high quality, immersive experiences. They are looking for innovation in ride systems and ride experiences.

Gigas are not innovate ride systems, nor do they offer innovative ride experiences. A diverse, high quality line up of attractions is what makes an amusement park truly great. Though CP has a strong lineup of coasters, it is not a well rounded park whatsoever. What is there to do at CP when it rains? That's not the future I want for KI.

Roller coasters are fun, but they are not all an amusement park is about. It seems all we talk about on these forums is roller coasters. What about the rest of the industry?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello again from early last year. I've been super inactive. My apologies. It was nice to meet some of you throughout 2017. 

Anyways, KIGiga2019, and other new members, welcome to KIC. I agree with chugh43 though on your post.  

2018/2019 will be interesting, whatever happens.

Btw y'all, I finally upgraded to a Platinum Pass.  I keep my identity to myself, so thats why I covered alot. :)

Screenshot_20180106-112231.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIGiga2019 said:

I am still confused about the addition of Mystic Timbers.  It has to be one of the least exciting new coasters I have ever ridden.  It must have been built for people who like old technology and antiques

I think Mystic Timbers is a very fun ride. It took a second for it to grow on me, but now it is on my top 3 at KI. To me, it's just a perfect blend of intensity and fun. It might not be the most intense ride in the world, Like Maverick or I-305 but in general its a great ride for all ages to enjoy. I would also like to state, Mystic Timbers is way more "modern" than the other woodies at are park, considering one is about to turn 46 years old this April...

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

Though CP has a strong lineup of coasters, it is not a well rounded park whatsoever.

I think CP is very well rounded, They have so many different thrill experiences to offer.  You see CF parks are not themed or made for the more "Indoor Immersive Rides". The CF parks are made for "The High Thrill rides", with the side of a more "tame" Kid section. So you really can't compare a CF park to Disney park (or a park that focuses on Immersive Rides) vice versa and then call one park "not well rounded" because they both offer different things. 

So if you expect a CF park to make a big, nice, and high-quality immersive ride, it really is not going to happen anytime soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xdog42 said:

I think CP is very well rounded, They have so many different thrill experiences to offer.  You see CF parks are not themed or made for the more "Indoor Immersive Rides". The CF parks are made for "The High Thrill rides", with the side of a more "tame" Kid section. So you really can't compare a CF park to Disney park (or a park that focuses on Immersive Rides) vice versa and then call one park "not well rounded" because they both offer different things. 

So if you expect a CF park to make a big, nice, and high-quality immersive ride, it really is not going to happen anytime soon.

Two things.

1. Cedar Point has an arguably well rounded coaster lineup, but that does not mean the park is well rounded. There isn't much to do outside of coasters. In its current state, I would argue that KI is a more well rounded park than CP. Let's continue that instead of hoping to just be CP South.

2. Knott's Berry Farm. CF has demonstrated the ability to achieve at a high level in the theming and immersion department. Voyage to the Iron Reef is an amazing ride system and ride experience. The place-setting and physical environments are incredible. I honestly had a better guest experience at Knott's than at Disneyland or DCA. There is absolutely no reason why CF couldn't spend a couple years brining KI up to the Knott's standard.

• Like 5

Cedar Point is not what I'd call a well-rounded park. Flat ride additions seem to somewhat have a back seat to coaster additions, and there isn't a dark ride in sight. Prior to the Gemini midway makeover, what was their last dry flat ride addition? Maybe Skyhawk in 2006? Or the inherited kiddie rides from Geauga Lake in 2008?

I'd argue that Canada's Wonderland or even Carowinds are a much better example of a well-rounded park that hasn't sold its soul to the coaster craze the way Cedar Point or Magic Mountain have.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Cedar Point is not what I'd call a well-rounded park. Flat ride additions seem to somewhat have a back seat to coaster additions, and there isn't a dark ride in sight. Prior to the Gemini midway makeover, what was their last dry flat ride addition? Maybe Skyhawk in 2006? Or the inherited kiddie rides from Geauga Lake in 2008?

I'd argue that Canada's Wonderland or even Carowinds are a much better example of a well-rounded park that hasn't sold its soul to the coaster craze the way Cedar Point or Magic Mountain have.

So many people have become obsessed with coasters. Coasters have always been a large part of the industry since the boom of the 1970's, but it's gotten ridiculous recently. With the rate that parks like CP are adding new coasters, I think it's unsustainable. It's kinda like Disney buying Star Wars -- too many too frequently. I like Star Wars as much as the next guy, but I think they need to slow down. The same goes for coasters. I think the GP will eventually get burned out and start looking for something different.

• Like 2

Actually,  I would argue that coaster installs have slowed down in the recent years.  Parks aren’t installing as many as they were around the year 2000.  Not to mention the arms race for tallest, fastest, longest coaster has slowed down a bit, in my opinion.

I don’t think Disney is releasing Star Wars movies too quickly.  And obviously other people feel the same way as The Last Jedi was the highest grossing film of 2017.

Cedar Point isn’t exactly adding coasters every year.  Gatekeeper opened in 2013.  Rougaro was just a refresh of an existing coaster.  Valravn opened in 2016.  And now they are adding Steel Vengeance in 2018.  In between, they have added some new family rides, and new additions to the water park.  I would say that Cedar Point is relatively well rounded.  They certainly have more flat rides than what KI has.

As Brad said, Cedar Fair is certainly doing something right.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think Cedar Fair will still install big coasters. I definitely have beliefs of the KI giga being a record breaker. I also think that Cedar Point will get a record breaker of some type. 

But what constitutes a record breaker for you? It could be 1 ft taller than Millie and KI can say the tallest Giga in Ohio, or the midwest, etc.  It could the shortest Giga and KI claim it in the longest Giga with a 90 degree drop. These days records are a variety of things.

• Like 5

I am so shocked that so many people are against the idea of Kings Island getting a giga. C'mon this is one of Cedar Fairs most prized parks and they have no giga! This coaster would really attract guests! If Cedar Fair really did care about competition, they wouldn't have built Diamondback or Banshee because of Raptor and Magnum at Cedar Point. Also, Cedar Fair tends to make improvements based on guest feedback. Like for example with Cedar Point, guests wanted waterpark improvements so they gave us Cedar Point shores and guests kept asking them to RMC Mean Streak so now we have Steel Vengeance. I am sure that they would do the same for Kings Island. I know that bringing back Winterfest was from guest feedback even Mystic Timbers was back when Prowler beat out Diamondback people talked about Kings Island working with GCI to get a modern day wooden coaster to the park. Yes there is more involved with building coasters with business stuff, but I believe both Kings Island and Cedar Fair want to give the guests what they want and people are constantly asking for a giga so I believe that they would give it to us. Not to mention that Kings Island has the land for it with no low height limit. Also, gigas are awesome so I don't think we should be against it. Cedar Fair, Kings Island bring us our giga!!!

• Like 1

In all fairness the average family (that is going to be your biggest spenders in the park) does not know what a Giga is or will care to much for it without older kids. I want a giga as much as the next enthusiast, but the days I am taking my family with 3 kids (12,7, and 3) I want a ride things all of my family can ride together. MT added to that family line up very well. A family does not need a Giga to have a good time at KI.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

But what constitutes a record breaker for you? It could be 1 ft taller than Millie and KI can say the tallest Giga in Ohio, or the midwest, etc.  It could the shortest Giga and KI claim it in the longest Giga with a 90 degree drop. These days records are a variety of things.

Did you know Diamondback is the tallest coaster in the world to feature a splash down?

• Like 7