The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

20 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

^^ I'm not sure I follow. Kings Island has made it to that level of revenue without a coaster over 300' tall. Whatever it is that KI is marketing themselves as is apparently relevant enough without it. That doesn't mean we won't get one, but it also doesn't mean we're owed one or in dire need of one or something. A gigacoaster isn't an award for being towards the top of the chain's EBITDA...

...It's the head of Human Resources. I'm sure he or she is a very talented person, but his or her sphere of influence is in staffing. I'm not sure why he or she would be part of strategic planning for future attractions. I imagine that person is probably fluent enough in the industry to speculate on whether or not our apparently inevitable giga will come from Intamin.

Right but I don't think they would just straight up tell some random person there plans or that will not do one thing from another. They may have said "think" for a reason.

• Like 3

Supposed to get a big coaster according to whom?

The Ghost Town area of Knott`s is a wonderful area.  Removing that area would be an awful decision.

Its amazing how little some of the smaller parks in the chain contributed to the overall attendance/EBITDA.  It also means that a bad year at Cedar Point and Knott`s would hurt the company more than a bad year at Worlds of Fun and Valleyfair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Do parks have the freedom, or doe the suits high up call all the shots?  This is corporate america.  If the suits at Cedar Fair headquarters sees that Racer is costing a lot to maintain, they will make the call to RMC it IMO.

The point is they could have gotten a giga by now but haven't. Sure at the end of the day company makes the final decision, but individual parks can make their own decisions. Michigan's Adventure for example opted out of having a haunt event because they wanted to stay family friendly.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

The point is they could have gotten a giga by now but haven't. Sure at the end of the day company makes the final decision, but individual parks can make their own decisions. Michigan's Adventure for example opted out of having a haunt event because they wanted to stay family friendly.

Edited by SonofBaconator
Weird glitch on my phone
  • Like 1

I think Ki will see a giga in the near future. They are one of the bigger parks who would benefit from having on in the park. Not saying they would be fine without it because they will be. I just think it will come at one point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Be angry if I was knotts.  They don't get any love.  Since ki brings in the third best revenue, we should have already had a giga.  

Remember that Knott's is open year around. They're getting a new coaster this year. Hence, they are are getting some love.

They just simply didn't want to put a giga in. There is no "should" have a Giga, that's ridicoulous.  There is no downfall in getting a Giga later than some parks. It's actually a plus, because they get better in many different ways.

I just don't know why you are even going on about this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, JubJester said:

Remember that Knott's is open year around. They're getting a new coaster this year. Hence, they are are getting some love.

They just simply didn't want to put a giga in. There is no "should" have a Giga, that's ridicoulous.  There is no downfall in getting a Giga later than some parks. It's actually a plus, because they get better in many different ways.

I just don't know why you are even going on about this. 

I don't consider a low capacity Gerstlauer love.  If CF wants safe reliable rides, shouldnt that knock Gerstlauer out of the running because of the Smiler?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

I don't consider a low capacity Gerstlauer love.  If CF wants safe rides, shouldnt that knock Gerstlauer out of the running because of what happend on the Smiler?

That's, once again, ridiculous. If the ride is a great experience (which all signs are pointing to it), capacity won't matter. If the line is too long, don't wait in it.

Secondly, from what I've read in the past it wasn't the company it was the operators fault. (Edit: See above)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^ I was gonan say I knew I read the details a long while ago but had to refresh my mem. I wouldn't mind a cray Gerstlauer at KI or CP. I mean yes I would love a giga over that but I won't  turn away from any coaster. Unless Vekoma came back into the picture. haha

@JubJester Just like Maverick. Could be best coaster in park but has low capacity.

• Like 2

This is not to mention the persistent issues that the coaster has had structurally, with bolts having failed, track sections coming apart due to the poor fabrication and stress on the joins, as well as multiple occasions on which it has stalled on the circuit (attributed to wind, but most likely also in part due to poor design on the Staffordshire Knot side of the circuit). And of course, one of these stalls lead to the terrible incident in which two people lost a leg.

http://www.europeancoasterkings.com/the-smiler-ride-review/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Be angry if I was knotts.  They don't get any love.  Since ki brings in the third best revenue, we should have already had a giga.  

Anyone remember the rumored Giga going to knotts in the early 2010's?  Rumor it was an Intamin, as there is no room for a more traditional out and back(b&m) but plans fell throough.

Why do you say that? Knotts is already very successful, and they went towards building up park infrastructure and their brand than putting in new B&Ms, an old article a while back confirmed Knotts had a large coaster planned that would have destroyed the park and Ghost Town wouldn't have been Ghost Town like it is today. (also they are competing with Universal and Disney, so going after the family market isn't a bad idea) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Right but I don't think they would just straight up tell some random person there plans or that will not do one thing from another. They may have said "think" for a reason.

Friend... They might have said "think," but we're still talking about an HR manager having the scoop on a multi-million dollar business's five-year plans. :) The HR manager where I work is an incredibly intelligent person, but they probably couldn't name everything our company produces. In terms of proximity to creative decision-making, that's like claiming that the Dippin' Dots guy's coaster enthusiast boss as a reliable source.

I understand the desire for a giga and generally enjoy the speculation, but I think you might be barking up the wrong tree on this one.

• Like 1

Once again I firmly do not believe anyone in HR is going to risk their jobs just to tell someone they think they won't use Intamin. Now do I think they will no. Do I want them too yes. I am not barking up any tree's. I just have a hard time believing that someone just came out and told someone who doesn't have that type of clearance.  That's all I am saying this isn't about getting a giga or not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Once again I firmly do not believe anyone in HR is going to risk their jobs just to tell someone they think they won't use Intamin. Now do I think they will no. Do I want them too yes. I am not barking up any tree's. I just have a hard time believing that someone just came out and told someone who doesn't have that type of clearance.  That's all I am saying this isn't about getting a giga or not.

I'm not just "some random person" like you claimed earlier; he came to our school to do a presentation on jobs in the industry. You don't have to take my word for it, @Mystic.Timber1 was in the same "session" that I was in.

If you want elaboration, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to contact him.

• Like 1

"Those who don't tell know, and those who tell don't know" or something like that, also why would HR tell anyone if they don't actually know? I consider enthusiasts GP, because everyone says how bad "GP" are but they don't hear themselves sometimes..

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I mean my whole thing is. I strongly believe that people from KI are not going to just come out and say oh we won't use this over that. That's all.

It's not whether you "believe" or not. He said that he doesn't think Intamin would be used. There are members on here that were in the same room as I and heard it.

• Like 1