The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

When I was there, Fury had a much higher capacity for 2 main reasons: no bins and the crew. Bins added way more time than necessary on intimidator with dispatches taking way longer than necessary. Plus the crew just talked the whole time and barely did their job (they didn't even check my restraint sometimes)! Fury on the other hand was amazing! They were so nice and fun and flew through everything! Plus I love that a train can pull out of the station and stop before the lift hill to allow the train in front to finish the course and the train behind to be loaded! This was probably the quickest and best crew I've ever seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DiamondBanshee said:

When I was there, Fury had a much higher capacity for 2 main reasons: no bins and the crew. Bins added way more time than necessary on intimidator with dispatches taking way longer than necessary. Plus the crew just talked the whole time and barely did their job (they didn't even check my restraint sometimes)! Fury on the other hand was amazing! They were so nice and fun and flew through everything! Plus I love that a train can pull out of the station and stop before the lift hill to allow the train in front to finish the course and the train behind to be loaded! This was probably the quickest and best crew I've ever seen!

Yeah, what you mentioned may have been the reason for the much shorter line, and I didn't notice the pre-lift breaks. That sounds like a great idea by B&M.

Well you also have to take into account that Fury has a HUGE break run between the end of the ride and the station. Instead of putting them right in the middle of the ride, they chose to add extra breaks before the lift hill. This would allow for back to back loading where, if need be, one train is running on the track, one is on the breaks waiting to go up the lift hill, and the third is being loaded. I think long breaks before and after the station are the way to go

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Drummermattk said:

I personally think 2019 is looking like a good year..................just saying ;)

If a giga is coming in 2019, we should see prep and teasing at the start of next year's season, which I highly doubt.

I still think 2019 is way too close- look at the timeline

2007- Firehawk

2008- Diamondback hype

2009- Diamondback

2010-Planet Snoopy

2011- WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive

2012- Soak City and SOB tear down

2013- Reds Hall of Fame Bar and Grille and Banshee hype

2014- Banshee and The Bat

2015- Planet Snoopy upgrades

2016- Tropical Plunge and Mystic Timbers hype

2017- Mystic Timbers

I still believe that the standard length between new coasters is three years. It takes about three years to plan a coaster so I like to think that after a new coaster opens, they are already starting the next project. 

I don't think there is anything preventing a park from opening up a brand new roller coaster every season, if both their budget and projections allow for it.

While I agree that 2 seasons seems too short, it has been done in the past, and can be done again in the future if a park (KI or otherwise) decides its the best plan for their park).  Just looking at the current Cedar Fair management, they opened up Gatekeeper in 2013, renovated Ragarou (no idea how much that cost) in 2015, then opened up Valraven in 2016, and are in the midst of a huge overhaul of Mean Streak for next season.  In 6 seasons, that 2 brand new coasters, one remake (now sure how much the conversation cost to call it "small" or midsized") and one huge remake.  While KI and CP are 2 different parks, generating different revenues and should be treated differently, on the surface, 2 large installations (Banshee and project 2019) plus another new coaster with a "smallish" price tag (allegedly $10 mil) would seem to be a similar expenditure over a 6 year time frame as CP got over their 6 years.

All that said, I'll repeat that I still think 2019 is too son, 2020 at the earliest, and it may be another year or 2 beyond that if the next major install is something on the scale of 300'+

I agree 2020/2021 will most likely be when we'll finally see our wanted giga, but even if it came in 2019 I wouldn't be surprised. Kings Island brings in more money than all other Cedar Fair parks except CP and Knotts if I'm not mistaken. That being said, this year seems different. Having been to Cedar Point and Carowinds 3 days each, the crowds at KI are much bigger than these two parks, at least this year. Going to CP from Monday to Wednesday I expected small crowds, but Millennium force and Maverick having 10 minute waits? Every weekday I've gone to KI, MT, Diamondback, and Beast all have anywhere from 15 minute to over an hour wait. Carowinds doesn't even compare, even on Thursday - Saturday. Just to give perspective, nothing was more than a station wait and I rode Fury 8 straight times without getting off the train (which is quite the experience if you ever have the chance to marathon it). It would make sense for KI to get a giga to bring in even more money.

On the contrary, Carowinds, CP, KD, and Canada's wonderland NEED their gigas to bring in their crowds (though CP could definitely do fine without Mille). KI doesn't need a giga. It is much more of a family oriented park while also offering some thrills. It makes perfect sense why they added MT this year, as they were moving more towards high thrill park with DB and Banshee and MT brings it back to more "family oriented." Don't get me wrong I love MT! It's my favorite in the park and a top 5 coaster for me of the ones I've been on. For GP though, it's a family coaster to take the kids on and laugh and have fun together. This isn't as possible with a giga, especially with kids who don't like tall coasters.

What I'm trying to say with this post is that KI gets a giga when they and Cedar Fair want it and think it's the right time. Would it be a good addition? Absolutely! Is it necessary? No. KI is already a phenomenal park and will continue to be whether or not it ever gets a giga

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Personally I think 2019 is when we're going to start seeing teasing, for a giga to open in 2020. 

It's possible, but I'd be shocked with KI opening a Giga in 2020 with CP also getting something for their 150th anniversary.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 0:41 AM, BuckeyeBond said:

It's possible, but I'd be shocked with KI opening a Giga in 2020 with CP also getting something for their 150th anniversary.

Who from Cedar Point or Cedar Fair has said that Cedar Point is getting a large attraction in 2020?  It is nothing more than wishful thinking from fans who do not seem to understand the business.  Cedar Point will get a bigger ROI by building a huge attraction in 2021 because fans will flock to the park in 2020 for the 150th even without a new attraction.  Then the park opens a large coaster the following year to cause people to return.

Purely from a business perspective the most likely year Kings Island will be getting a new roller coaster is 2020.  Why?  2019 is too soon, 2021 is most likely the next big coaster at CP, 2022 is the anniversary, which leaves 2023 which is likely too far.

• Like 3

GP really doesn't care or even know when a park is celebrating an anniversary.

Unless you pull a full on hardcore marketing plan like what Disney is known for (Turning the castle into a cake etc.) It's not gonna be worth any special investment over another year aside from some small scale things.

7 hours ago, Kenban said:

Who from Cedar Point or Cedar Fair has said that Cedar Point is getting a large attraction in 2020?  It is nothing more than wishful thinking from fans who do not seem to understand the business.  Cedar Point will get a bigger ROI by building a huge attraction in 2021 because fans will flock to the park in 2020 for the 150th even without a new attraction.  Then the park opens a large coaster the following year to cause people to return.

Purely from a business perspective the most likely year Kings Island will be getting a new roller coaster is 2020.  Why?  2019 is too soon, 2021 is most likely the next big coaster at CP, 2022 is the anniversary, which leaves 2023 which is likely too far.

Tony Clark did. He said CP was getting something big in 2020 & that the 150th anniversary will be a 2 year celebration. It could be a red herring sure, but I don't think it is.

27 minutes ago, BuckeyeBond said:

Tony Clark did. He said CP was getting something big in 2020 & that the 150th anniversary will be a 2 year celebration. It could be a red herring sure, but I don't think it is.

I am pretty confident he only said that it would be a very large celebration.  That they knew that the 150th only happens once and would make a huge deal out of it.  But I do not remember him ever saying that the park was getting a coaster or other large attraction in 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenban said:

I am pretty confident he only said that it would be a very large celebration.  That they knew that the 150th only happens once and would make a huge deal out of it.  But I do not remember him ever saying that the park was getting a coaster or other large attraction in 2020.

I never said that he said they were getting a large coaster. He said it was gonna be something very big. It very well could be a huge celebration, it could be nothing at all "which I highly doubt". They will have 2 years to do it because of the 2 year 150th celebration.  But this is Cedar Point & they have a major hole in the coaster line up, a very nice wooden coaster. As I said earlier I'd be shocked if CP doesn't add a new major wooden coaster during the 2 year celebration of the 150th anniversary.

• Like 1

I will just add this, there is almost no chance Tony Clark knows what is coming past 2018.  He is in a position where he does not need to know anything about new attractions until the last minute.  Any teasers he might make about the anniversary would be from a position where he actually knows little to nothing.

In 2014 Tony Clark Tweeted out CP's things to do list. Which in turn looks like it was CP's 5 year plan from 2015-2020. Things that were on the list were

1. New trains from Mantis.

2. Go over 500ft.

3. Call RMC

4. Call GCI

5. Get Aqua-Trax 

6. Coaster over Lake Erie.

7. Fix Waterpark & Hotel

i couldn't find the tweet where it's an older tweet, but Coaster Net-Uncut goes into detail about this on their YouTube channel. I'm sure he knows exactly what CP has planned. Most of the things he tweeted out are coming true or happening right now. Now obviously there are a couple of those that are Red Hereings like the Coaster over Lake Erie & possibly the 500 foot coaster & Auqa-Trax. But for him to tweet out something like this and have so much of it come to fruition makes me believe he knows exactly what CP is putting in.

Tony Clark has tweeted more than one to do list.  Here are two, take your pick.  The problem is that you are remembering bits and pieces and acting like when Tony gets one or two items from a list correct, years later that he somehow knows more than he really does.  Nothing about these lists look like a 5 year plan.

CQlBBbBUsAAk8iD.jpg

BwdVG83IUAAUhM3.jpg

• Like 2

Even though I know the storage things are there I'd love to see a Giga around that area in an X-Base expansion... Then you could add restrooms and a thrilling flat ride in X-Base also and make a walkway to the Action Theater, thus getting rid of a dead end in the park with huge amounts of land for a giant Giga. I know how unlikely that is though...

The question is not if but when. I mean come on Carowinds has a Giga haha. Also the question is Intamin or B&M. I know a lot of people dislike Intamin. But in my point of view being I have been on Fury 325 and Mill Force. Fury doesn't come close to Mill Force. Id love to have an Intamin Giga at KI.

• Like 1

That really sucks if that is true. I really hope they change there minds. B&M are alright. If I want a real rush / thrill i'd go intamin. I know most of the time I am alone on the whole debate. I just hope to god to see another Intamin in a close CF park. Preferably CP or KI.