Jump to content
SonofBaconator

The Giga Speculation Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

I mean how can we even be certain it's a coaster being built?

We have documents from Warren County that names B&M specifically.  Unless B&M has branched out to flat rides, it's gonna be a coaster.  We just don't know what type yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just because B&M is listed, doesn`t mean that there is a new coaster.  They could be doing work on Banshee/Diamondback... Just throwing that out there.

 

It's a notice of commencement. A CONSTRUCTION project. Any work happening on an existing ride doesn't need to be reported, unless it's large scale (Replacing an entire section of a ride, leveling land, etc).

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then why remove Firehawk?  If it was just because of maintenance, then it would have been done a while ago.  See the way they waited to remove SOB until they were ready to install Banshee. 

Add on top of that the document, and it'd be way too coincidental for them to do all that for something not a coaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, here we go.

I'm sure most all of you have seen the Commencement form filed with Warren County but in case you haven't, I've attached it.

Now to break it down. The most important part here is the list of contracts that were executed with different companies.

First, we'll look here at Baynum Painting. Sound familiar? Baynum Painting painted Banshee and Diamondback, repainted Dragster and Rougarou and worked on many more notable projects across the United States. I've provided the link to a list of their projects here .

Second, we'll look at Brehob Engine and Compressor Co. What does a new roller coaster need? A brand new compressor to operate brakes and other key ride components. We've also seen this same company work on Mystic. I've also attached the Commencement form from 2016 which pertains to the construction of Mystic. (I'll elaborate more on this later).

Last but certainly not least, you'll see Bolliger & Mabillard. As I've said before, B&M wouldn't be listed unless Kings Island (or Cedar Fair, the designee) initiated and signed a contract with them. Simple maintenance work through the offseason would not constitute an entirely new contract, let alone a commencement form.

It is also worth noting some of the smaller companies listed here that play a key part towards the project as a whole. Some of these are:

Exhibit 3 Fabrications-Theming/Signage

Kingdom Productions-Theming

Ashlee Fence-Construction and/or Lockout Fencing

John R. Jurgensen Company-General Contractor for Heavy Equipment and Large Construction Projects

Campeon Roofing-New Roof Somewhere...

Fenton Rigging Co.-A Crane is Needed Somewhere for this Project

Trident Engineering Inc.-Most likely an external inspector making sure work was done correctly before the state comes in.

There are some other companies listed on the form, however, the ones I've provided here should give everyone a general idea on what is going into the project.

As I said before, I've also attached the commencement form for Mystic, which has a lot of similar companies listed.

I think this information speaks for itself. What is coming is no small project. All signs point to a coaster. I rest my case.

 

 

 

MMC Commencement 2018.pdf

MMC Commencement 2016.pdf

 

I’ve also put these on Google Drive for mobile users:

2018

2016

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really doesn't matter what you put here. Don Helbig could get on here and say they are building a B&M in 2020 and theres people that would say thats not an official press release. Hell when they were building Banshee and footers were in the ground there were people still trying to argue it wasn't an inverted. After they are proven wrong they either disappear or perform revisionist history on what they'd said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing wrong with believing one way or the other at this point. The documents submitted to the county are pretty good indicators, but things can change. 

KIC will not be making any official statement on this until we get official word from the park. Until then, it is all speculation and everyone can interpret as they wish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think about what the park is doing economically. They've invested heavily in the last few years into keeping the park interesting. Yet park attendance has not risen to any substantial degree. I think the next ride is a Giga. Nobody would've gone to KD had it not been for i305, Carowinds isn't worth it without Fury, Canada's Wonderland had one good ride before Leviathan. The difference is King's Island already has a really good coaster collection, so a Giga would make it a serious location for enthusiasts. Just my opinion, it could just be another Dive Coaster. ;)

(Edit: when I say these parks aren't worth it, I'm talking about traveling long distances to ride these rides, not being a local to these places)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JudeHoward said:

Think about what the park is doing economically. They've invested heavily in the last few years into keeping the park interesting. Yet park attendance has not risen to any substantial degree. I think the next ride is a Giga. Nobody would've gone to KD had it not been for i305, Carowinds isn't worth it without Fury, Canada's Wonderland had one good ride before Leviathan. The difference is King's Island already has a really good coaster collection, so a Giga would make it a serious location for enthusiasts. Just my opinion, it could just be another Dive Coaster. ;)

(Edit: when I say these parks aren't worth it, I'm talking about traveling long distances to ride these rides, not being a local to these places)

One problem. KD was supposed to get the hyper and Carowinds was supposed to get the Intamin Giga, from what I was told. Thank goodness BGW already had a B&M Hyper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard that Carowinds was supposed to get the Intaming Giga that KD got.  

I also find Carowinds to be worth a trip without Fury 325.  I still have not gotten down there since it was built, but have been to Carowinds numerous times (I went there back in 2001 for the first time).  Same goes for Kings Dominion.  I305 is not the only reason people go to that park.  Volcano is a really unique and fun coaster.

In the amusement park business, the parks have to invest in new things every year (or every couple of years) in order to keep guests coming back (to sustain current levels of attendance).  There are a LOT of other options for families to spend their entertainment money.  Parks have to keep their product fresh to give guests a reason to keep coming back.  And with pass holders, they create festivals and events (like the Snoopy Celebration) to give a sense of urgency and a reason to make repeat visits with the chances that they may spend additional money on merchandise, games, and food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

I have never heard that Carowinds was supposed to get the Intaming Giga that KD got.  

I also find Carowinds to be worth a trip without Fury 325.  I still have not gotten down there since it was built, but have been to Carowinds numerous times (I went there back in 2001 for the first time).  Same goes for Kings Dominion.  I305 is not the only reason people go to that park.  Volcano is a really unique and fun coaster.

In the amusement park business, the parks have to invest in new things every year (or every couple of years) in order to keep guests coming back (to sustain current levels of attendance).  There are a LOT of other options for families to spend their entertainment money.  Parks have to keep their product fresh to give guests a reason to keep coming back.  And with pass holders, they create festivals and events (like the Snoopy Celebration) to give a sense of urgency and a reason to make repeat visits with the chances that they may spend additional money on merchandise, games, and food.

It can be argued that without the Gigas, these parks wouldn't have the attendance they do. There may have been some cases of people traveling but the Gigas put these places on the map. Just think how there's facebook videos of Fury and I305 etc that expose the GP to these parks. The big stats attract the public whether it's the best ride or not. Carowinds attendance skyrocketed after Fury. MF is what made Cedar Point what it is today. King's Dominion would've been a local park with very few outside visitors had it not been for i305. Family rides appeal to locals, hardly anyone travels hundreds of miles for that. Antique cars wont make King's Island a vacation spot. That's what I'm saying. While there are rare cases of people traveling to all the parks, the public usually don't until that place has a standout attraction. It's worked for Cedar Point and it's in probably the worst location for a park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JudeHoward said:

It can be argued that without the Gigas, these parks wouldn't have the attendance they do. There may have been some cases of people traveling but the Gigas put these places on the map. Just think how there's facebook videos of Fury and I305 etc that expose the GP to these parks. The big stats attract the public whether it's the best ride or not. Carowinds attendance skyrocketed after Fury. MF is what made Cedar Point what it is today. King's Dominion would've been a local park with very few outside visitors had it not been for i305. Family rides appeal to locals, hardly anyone travels hundreds of miles for that. Antique cars wont make King's Island a vacation spot. That's what I'm saying. While there are rare cases of people traveling to all the parks, the public usually don't until that place has a standout attraction. It's worked for Cedar Point and it's in probably the worst location for a park.

I honestly like Cedar Point's location. Yes, Sandusky is a small town with a bunch of factories. Cedar Point had always been a destination place ever since it opened. It was originally supposed to be a vacation spot on Lake Erie where people could come and swim in Lake Erie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I honestly like Cedar Point's location. Yes, Sandusky is a small town with a bunch of factories. Cedar Point had always been a destination place ever since it opened. It was originally supposed to be a vacation spot on Lake Erie where people could come and swim in Lake Erie. 

I love that aspect. I was talking like commercially, it's nowhere near a major city, airport, or highway and it's still super successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JudeHoward said:

I love that aspect. I was talking like commercially, it's nowhere near a major city, airport, or highway and it's still super successful.

It's still super successful because of how it is a destination park. Sandusky is also a tourist town with the resorts and stuff. People like going to the middle of Lake Erie on that peninsula. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fryoj said:

It really doesn't matter what you put here. Don Helbig could get on here and say they are building a B&M in 2020 and theres people that would say thats not an official press release. Hell when they were building Banshee and footers were in the ground there were people still trying to argue it wasn't an inverted. After they are proven wrong they either disappear or perform revisionist history on what they'd said. 

All that I am saying is on the forms leaked. It doesn't say roller coaster to be built by B&M. Hey it could be and I hope it is. I am just trying to see both sides so if it isn't I won't be as upset!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject that Millennium Force "made" Cedar Point what it is today:

Cedar Point has always been popular for its location: people love that Beach, and it is between Cleveland and Detroit, 2 good-sized cities. They got a million visitors in 1960, and they didn't even have Blue Streak at that point. And they were famous for roller coasters well before Millennium Force was a thing. Gemini was beloved and crazy popular in the late 70's and 80's, and Magnum XL-200 shocked the world with its sheer size and lack of inversions (debunking the notion that steel coasters needed them to be good). By the time Raptor was added in 1994, their attendance had basically already reached current levels, and it along with Magnum XL-200 were frequently listed among the world's greatest roller coasters at the time (Magnum XL-200 won the Golden Ticket Awards Steel Poll from 1998-2000). Cedar Point was ALREADY a destination park for beach lovers and coaster lovers alike. Millennium Force was a great addition, and made Cedar Point even more popular, but it didn't put them on the map: They were already on it and tons of people were already making long trips there, coaster nuts included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@McSalsa I think the coaster wars of the 80s had a huge influence on the types of coasters Cedar Point churned out over the years. You'd never see a cloned coaster at that park like you see at Six Flags or even at some lower tier CF park. Millennium Force didn't put CP on the map but it certainly kept it a relevant park in the tourism industry and even more so with TTD and many other coasters that came after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

@McSalsa I think the coaster wars of the 80s had a huge influence on the types of coasters Cedar Point churned out over the years. You'd never see a cloned coaster at that park like you see at Six Flags or even at some lower tier CF park. Millennium Force didn't put CP on the map but it certainly kept it a relevant park in the tourism industry and even more so with TTD and many other coasters that came after. 

Yep- not having any clone rides (well, some of them like Raptor did get CLONED but not by Cedar Fair themselves) is a huge plus to a park when trying to attract guests from outside your main region. If you are just looking to draw a few locals in they are fine, but you need to build unique or at least rare rides to attract someone from across the country or even from other countries.

Also, I thought up an analogy for what Millennium Force did for Cedar Point. Think of the park being known by everyone as a campfire: Magnum XL-200 has gotten that fire burning really good- bigger than most other parks fires. Mean Streak added a bit before sputtering out (aka it got rough and had trims added, etc) but then Raptor came in and made the fire even hotter. Mantis also helped a bit, though looking back, probably not as much as Raptor did. Then Millennium Force got thrown in, and the fire explodes. Millennium Force didn't start Cedar Point's "fire", but it did make it bigger. And what is scary is Cedar Point just kept adding to the fire, so it is even bigger now than when Millennium Force was added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...