The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Me stirring the pot hahaha. Better get me a bigger spoon to stir with hahaha

oh and fyi I do believe a giga is coming in 2020. So go ahead a cry over my comment some more. It was an IF statement. No need to get worked up over it haha

Ok back to giga talk.

On the topic of station location, I think the only place it would really fit well would be somewhere back in x-base (or the area formerly known as x-base). The DA area would now be extremely crowded because the entrance would then be right by Antique Cars, Vortex, and WindSeeker. I also think it's too crowded over by Banshee unless they were to make a path where the SOB station is and extend out a decent amount towards the back of Banshee. Plus this would mean we have a B&M in the three non-kiddie sections of the park

• Like 1

Go ahead lol I am in no wrong to defend myself. Just like you had a whole new thread made because you can't take no pictures for an answer.

Defending yourself would be giving an argument on why you believe he filed commencement plans have been suddenly reversed.

Insulting and attacking someone because you can’t defend your position is what you just did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Can't we all just be happy we have two world class amusement parks within 4 hours of each other? Bicker over who makes the best fried chicken or something. 

That is if friend chicken is still planned :D could be hot dogs now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Defending yourself would be giving an argument on why you believe he filed commencement plans have been suddenly reversed.

Insulting and attacking someone because you can’t defend your position is what you just did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not insulting anyone and there is no 100% proof of anything at this moment. So no one really knows anything put CF employees. I'm done with that conversation.

Moving on. I think a giga is going to come in 2020 at least I hope so! I think they could make a grand plaza back where Firehawk was.

10 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

Ok so it won't be The Beast sequel, or Centurion.

What name can this ride be theme for that area?!

The name “Mystic Timbers” was so far out of left field, and such a complete surprise, I would have a hard time predicting any names. 

I feel like the two most likely possibilities are that any new coaster is considered part of Coney Mall or of X-Base. If Coney, some sort of reference to the former Shooting Star would be awesome. Actually now that I think of it, a shooting star wouldn’t be outside of the spacey theme of X-Base, for that matter. 

But, even though KI is considered more a part of Cincinnati, as someone who grew up north of Dayton I know it’s pretty special to Daytonians as well. Some sort of reference to Wright Patterson AFB (or even simply the Wright Brothers) wouldn’t be out of place, especially in X-Base. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pez said:

You might be right fryoj.  My friend who works at the Warren County Department of Roller Coasters said if they don't have construction completed by midnight on December 31, 2020 ownership of the park reverts to Scooby Doo.  

I believe Kings Island has plans to build a Giga coaster because Mike Koontz made public the fact he asked the Cedar Fair Board for it.  He wouldn't have mentioned it if he wasn't fairly certain it was going to happen.  This is bolstered by the fact that they filed a notice of commencement with the county listing B&M as a contractor and B&M makes giga coasters.  I don't think it will be a wing or dive coaster because Cedar Point has those.  Holiday World also has a wing coaster.  No other park in the region has a B&M giga so that would be the stand out addition.  

I am not convinced that Kings Island is committed to opening the prospective giga coaster in 2020 because of the filing of the notice of commencement.  I don't know if that means the work of those contractors is expected to be complete by 2020 or if that was a list of contractors they planned to engage within the three year time frame even though their work may not be complete before the end of 2020.  I am unaware of the legality present necessitating the filing.  Personally, I give more weight to what Mike Koontz said.

I think some of the doubting about this is people not understanding the function of a NOC and this NOC in particular. A NOC is to inform the local authorities that you are going to start on a project that you already have approved plans for. It it also for the purpose of setting timelines for mechanics liens. Those are legal documents and the contractors would not allow those to be screwed with. We don't have the plans as they either aren't online or they are hidden for confidentiality. Those plans would have more details about start dates and, possibly, planned completion. A NOC doesn't give timeframes. It just says we are starting on the project now. The "timeframe" in the NOC isn't listed as a timeframe, it's the actual project title. Kings Island told the county that this is our "2018, 2019, and 2020 Additions and Modifications to Kings Island Park". That is how the park refers to it. The park would not include a project opening in 2021 in this. That would have a separate plan and a separate NOC.

While there are not relevant NOC's posted for Diamondback or Banshee, GCI was on the NOC for a project titled "2016 and 2017 Additions and Modifications to Kings Island Park."  Mystic Timbers opened in 2017. If that's not enough of an indication of what the parks plans are, theres probably nothing short of a Park Press release that will satisfy the critics. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fryoj said:

I think some of the doubting about this is people not understanding the function of a NOC and this NOC in particular. A NOC is to inform the local authorities that you are going to start on a project that you already have approved plans for. It it also for the purpose of setting timelines for mechanics liens. Those are legal documents and the contractors would not allow those to be screwed with. We don't have the plans as they either aren't online or they are hidden for confidentiality. Those plans would have more details about start dates and, possibly, planned completion. A NOC doesn't give timeframes. It just says we are starting on the project now. The "timeframe" in the NOC isn't listed as a timeframe, it's the actual project title. Kings Island told the county that this is our "2018, 2019, and 2020 Additions and Modifications to Kings Island Park". That is how the park refers to it. The park would not include a project opening in 2021 in this. That would have a separate plan and a separate NOC.

While there are not relevant NOC's posted for Diamondback or Banshee, GCI was on the NOC for a project titled "2016 and 2017 Additions and Modifications to Kings Island Park."  Mystic Timbers opened in 2017. If that's not enough of an indication of what the parks plans are, theres probably nothing short of a Park Press release that will satisfy the critics. 

I fully agree. I hope so. Just to clear the air I do think 2020 will bring a coaster and I hope its a giga. I think we got off track with the whole starts at the end of 2020.

@Magenta Lizard Too bad Stranger Things / Netflix is in cahoots with Universal or  Just think of a giga coaster with a Stranger Things theme and basing it off The Upside Down. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fryoj said:

Or that B&M might decide to stop making coasters immediately and start selling taco seasoning. Those are all possibilities. 

In before "Intamin taco seasoning would be way better."

P.S. That would be incredible. I really want that to happen. New item on the to-do list for next IAAPA!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

Ok so it won't be The Beast sequel, or Centurion.

What name can this ride be theme for that area?!

I saw a Carowinds post on twitter of Copperhead Strike, and on one of the posters, you could make out the word centurion

Honestly, I don’t know why Cedar Fair is still teasing this name as they have been doing this before Fury 325 was even announced

34295803-AD98-4385-BF1A-14590A2F470A.jpeg

Sorry that the picture is not very clear 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

In before "Intamin taco seasoning would be way better."

P.S. That would be incredible. I really want that to happen. New item on the to-do list for next IAAPA!

But you know the pouch it comes in would always be getting holes in it and you'd never know if you'd actually get any taco seasoning. 

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I saw a Carowinds post on twitter of Copperhead Strike, and on one of the posters, you could make out the word centurion

Honestly, I don’t know why Cedar Fair is still teasing this name as they have been doing this before Fury 325 was even announced

34295803-AD98-4385-BF1A-14590A2F470A.jpeg

Sorry that the picture is not very clear 

I wouldn't consider this teasing....it's more of just theming. 

Complete side note ish....for those who are saying they don't believe a new ride would open until 2021, what makes you say this?

With the writing on the NOC that states "2018, 2019, and 2020 Additions and modifications to Kings Island Park" I would firmly believe that the 2020 would be the year the addition would be in, not the time the project would start. If construction would start in 2020 what is your timeline for this project to open April 2021? With the evidence we have now of the open space in X-Base....some could argue that the process has already started....if that is the case....would a Giga coaster really take from Feb 2019 (when Firehawk officially bit the dust) to April 2021 for construction? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

With the writing on the NOC that states "2018, 2019, and 2020 Additions and modifications to Kings Island Park" I would firmly believe that the 2020 would be the year the addition would be in, not the time the project would start. If construction would start in 2020 what is your timeline for this project to open April 2021? With the evidence we have now of the open space in X-Base....some could argue that the process has already started....if that is the case....would a Giga coaster really take from Feb 2019 (when Firehawk officially bit the dust) to April 2021 for construction? ]

The coaster is likely already built (or very near being completed) and sitting in pieces somewhere.  A project like this would have been started a couple of years ago (design and fabrication).  All they have to do is ship the pieces in, prepare/clear the appropriate land, put down some foundations, and assemble the thing.  Even for a giga, this will definitely take less than a year.  CF has this down to a science at this point.  Whatever it is, it will open in 2020.

20 minutes ago, SilentGloves said:

The coaster is likely already built (or very near being completed) and sitting in pieces somewhere.  A project like this would have been started a couple of years ago (design and fabrication).  All they have to do is ship the pieces in, prepare/clear the appropriate land, put down some foundations, and assemble the thing.  Even for a giga, this will definitely take less than a year.  CF has this down to a science at this point.  Whatever it is, it will open in 2020.

Actually, we know where they build the pieces for B&M coasters and they aren't built yet. It's Clermont Steel Fabricators and is in Batavia actually. There's pieces for other coasters there now, but nothing for this yet. If you go back through this thread, there are pictures posted from people driving by there. History has shown that we won't see identifiable pieces for an April opening 2020 coaster till the May-July range. They can build and paint the pieces in less time than it takes to do the footers and let them cure. But otherwise, yes, all the engineering and design would have been done for this for a while now. Site prep and footers are the longest part of the process, but they have plenty of time for that.