The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Mack is up there with the likes of B&M and RMC when it comes to innovation. Once more Mack rides start hitting the US, Intamin will be pretty much obsolete. 

S&S has some new coasters out now as well. Not sure they will take off, but might see CF work with them before Intamin in the imediate future.

• Like 1

I watched the Basilisk video and thought it had a cool layout, however, I see two issues:

1. It seems to lose steam with that cool turnaround near the front gate- maybe rein in the length or maybe build it higher so it goes faster?

2. It crosses over The Bat. I love The Bat and I think that messes with the tranquility of the area.

Other than those 2 things, bring it on*! :D

* I don't know that KI needs a Giga, but it is a hole in our lineup and I'd welcome it to the park (and it would be cool in the Wild Animal Habitat/unused SOB area)!

• Like 1

I think KI needs a giga as the next high thrill coaster addition.

The other parks that got B&M hypers close to the time of Diamondback now have gigas.. one park even got a giga without ever having a hyper

KI is missing out on that now that we have an inverting full circuit hanging coaster and finnally getting a modern woodie.. the only other things that arent rare could be... a beyond vertical drop coaster?

But you also have rides like Diamondback that it's car then seat..... so 8-2 wouldn't refer to the row, it'd refer to 8th car seat 2. The front of the car (observing from left to right is) Seat 1, Seat 2 and then back of the car is Seat 3, Seat 4.

While this is how ride ops refer to seats, it is generally not how I typically hear enthusiasts refer to them. I still mostly hear enthusiasts say car-row on Diamondback.

I think a spinning wild mouse along the lines of Cobra's Curse or something could be a lot of fun. The only problem I see with it is the capacity issue that a wild mouse has. BLSC has a low enough capacity adn it can hold 12 people per train, so going to one that only hold 4 or 8 would be horrendous. So that would be my only hesitation on getting one.

I honestly would like to see another launch coaster by either Intamin or Mack at KI rather than a giga, we need a more unique launch and it would fill a gap in the lineup with unique, fast inversions like Maverick, Blue Fire, or a new Extreme Spinning coaster like what Silver Dollar City is getting in 2018, or a new Big Dipper would be great like what Walibi Holland received for 2016.

https://rcdb.com/12315.htm

https://rcdb.com/4074.htm

https://rcdb.com/11048.htm

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rhyano said:

I honestly would like to see another launch coaster by either Intamin or Mack at KI rather than a giga, we need a more unique launch and it would fill a gap in the lineup with unique, fast inversions like Maverick, Blue Fire, or a new Extreme Spinning coaster like what Silver Dollar City is getting in 2018, or a new Big Dipper would be great like what Walibi Holland received for 2016.

https://rcdb.com/12315.htm

https://rcdb.com/4074.htm

https://rcdb.com/11048.htm

I would love another launch, but maybe not the Extreme Spinning coaster kind (for clarification, I'm talking about that particular model; I'm not against a launched spinning coaster entirely, that would be really fun! :D) I'm thinking an Impulse (like V2/Possessed), Sky Rocket (think Superman at SFDK), or even a custom Mack Launch. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie Tommer said:

Is it too late to ask what in the world a Giga is? XD

Welcome to KIC and apparently the coaster community! 

Like what Kenban said a giga is the name given to a roller coaster that exceeds 300ft, similar to how a hyper coaster is a coaster that exceeds 200ft. Gigas are known for their height and speed. Most gigas are low to the ground after the first initial drop, though Steel Dragon 2000 has plenty of tall airtime hills. Examples of gigas would be Millenium Force, Intimidator 305, Leviathan, and Fury 325 to name a few. Gigas are quite rare in the coaster world compared to hyper coasters or even inverts though Cedar Fair has cranked out 3 in the past 7 years. Kings Island is the last main Cedar Fair park that hasn't gotten a giga coaster yet. 

Here's two examples of giga coasters made by two completely different companies

Fury 325 made by Bolliger & Mabillard

Millennium Force made by Intamin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jamie Tommer said:

Is it too late to ask what in the world a Giga is? XD

Welcome to KIC! We are all hear to learn about KI and the industry, even the most veteran enthusiast can learn new thinks from others. The knowledge here is quite vast. The lingo is the first leaning curve!

• Like 6

^ 400 - 499 would be a Strata Coaster.  There are only two full circuit strata coasters Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka since shuttle coasters like Super Man Escape from Krypton do not count.  Both strata coasters were built by Intamin and utilize a hydraulic launch system.

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I never understood the argument that the shuttle coasters don't count.  

I never did either. I'm assuming that a complete circuit coaster counts because the lift/launch is different than the drop where shuttle coasters lift/launch and drop on the same stretch of track. If that makes sense. 

Part of the problem with shuttle coasters is that the ride vehicle never gets to the top of the track.  Escape from Krypton is very guilty of this.  The track is 415 ft tall but I would be surprised if the vehicle is passing 350 ft most days.

More than anything I think it goes back to the original definitions.  Originally it defined a type of coaster and was not a rigid height description it has become.  So for instance a hyper coaster was not a 200ft tall coaster it was a coaster which was tall, fast, and had a lot of airtime.  Even though Valravn is 223 ft tall should it be considered a hyper coaster at all?  

• Like 1

Well, Intamin, B&M and Morgan have coasters they refer to as 'hyper coasters' by model name that are under 200 ft (Steel Eel @ Sea World San Antonio, Hollywood Dream: The Ride at Universal Studios Japan, Goliath at La Ronde, Goliath at Walibi Holland, Expedition Ge-Force at Holiday Park).  What about those?

• Like 2

To me, "hyper" and "giga" are more general styles of coasters than references to their heights. Hypers tend to be tall coasters with lots of airtime and are often out-and-back. Gigas are also tall coasters with a little airtime, but rely more on low-to-the-ground pure speed than airtime for the thrill factor. It's just a happy coincidence that the hyper style tends to work best with coasters in the 2xx-foot range, and gigas tend to work best in the 3xx-foot range. But if someone built a 272-foot-tall coaster similar to Millennium Force, I'd call it a giga.

• Like 1