The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

I would not mind seeing Intamin make a return to Cedar Fair. As far as there being another Inatmin giga at Cedar Point, that is not an issue. Cedar Point and Kings Island do not pull the majority of their crowds from the same market, so it is not competition with themselves. 

I would not rather have an Intamin at the park.  I just know how disapointed many guest would get when a brand new shiny roller coaster is broken down on the $1000 vacation to the park.  I guess this is me just getting old but I just perferr the tried and true methods any more.  Give me something that works and that is just fun.  It doesn't have to be record breaking. One thing I think the park could use is some kind of launched coaster.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I would not rather have an Intamin at the park.  I just know how disapointed many guest would get when a brand new shiny roller coaster is broken down on the $1000 vacation to the park.  I guess this is me just getting old but I just perferr the tried and true methods any more.  Give me something that works and that is just fun.  It doesn't have to be record breaking. One thing I think the park could use is some kind of launched coaster.

We do already have 2 launching coasters. I would love a Maverick coaster at KI. I think we need that more than a GIGA in my opinion. That gets back to Intamin though.

• Like 2

I don't want an Intamin giga because our little sister park in Virginia already has one. B&M has proved they can tackle a giga twice with little to no issues where as I305 had to be retracked after it opened. And in terms of a launched coaster, I'd honestly prefer a Mack over a Blitz coaster.

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don't want an Intamin giga because our little sister park in Virginia already has one. B&M has proved they can tackle a giga twice with little to no issues where as I305 had to be retracked after it opened. And in terms of a launched coaster, I'd honestly prefer a Mack over a Blitz coaster.

I'd love a Mack launch coaster at KI, but I've never ridden one, and I've ridden Maverick many times to know what I'd be expecting since Mack launchers have not really made their way to the US

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

We do already have 2 launching coasters. I would love a Maverick coaster at KI. I think we need that more than a GIGA in my opinion. That gets back to Intamin though.

Yes they do but BLSC is geared towards families and while I love Flight of Fear I think something out side would suite the park well. 

• Like 5

I've been to Kings Island 7 times this season. With the types of crowds we're bringing in I think we need a people eater. I wouldn't complain one bit if we got a ride like Maverick or Helix. I would love it!!! But I think the park will put capacity near the top of the list & a B&M Giga is a true people eater. Only time will tell but I'd think that with the success of Fury & the large crowds KI brings in it would be a match made in heaven.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Yes they do but BLSC is geared towards families and while I love Flight of Fear I think something out side would suite the park well. 

However, with that being said, that Backlot's launch (imo) is actually pretty intense. And I would like to see a third launch coaster in the park; KD did it for a time (FoF/Volcano/Hypersonic), why not us?

• Like 2

i was shocked when mystic timbers was announxed instead of a giga.  personally i would have much oreferred a giga.  i rode mytic timbers on its second weekend and it was ok but i personally dont think its anything special.  Kings Island already had more wooden coasters than almost anywhere else.   Im also extremely heartbroken that SOB was desyroyed right as RMC was coming onto the scene.  SOB was an amazing coaster.  the design was great they just chose the wrong manufacturer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, metalchic said:

i was shocked when mystic timbers was announxed instead of a giga.  personally i would have much oreferred a giga.  i rode mytic timbers on its second weekend and it was ok but i personally dont think its anything special.  Kings Island already had more wooden coasters than almost anywhere else.   Im also extremely heartbroken that SOB was desyroyed right as RMC was coming onto the scene.  SOB was an amazing coaster.  the design was great they just chose the wrong manufacturer.

I have to agree. I do think it is a solid addition, but nothing spectacular. I also believe KI marketed MT so well, that a lot of people are drinking the KI Kool-Aid (so to speak) and believing what KI keeps posting on social media regarding MT being a great woodie. KI deserves so much better than MT, and I think a Giga would've been the better choice.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, metalchic said:

wow i thought i was the only one who felt this way.  did you ever get the chance to ride SOB?  hands down that was the best wooden coaster i have ever been on.

Yes. I rode Son of Beast. It was a great idea, but bad execution. The first half was good, but rough. I thought the second half was incredibly lame. I do believe if KI would've RMCed SOB, it would've been absolutely amazing, though.

You mentioned RMCing SOB as well.......and It made me think of this......What if when Cedar Fair looked into RMCing SOB, (like they say they did by "exploring all options") back in 2012, but instead, that gave Cedar Fair the idea to choose to RMC Mean Streak instead in 2018. RMC was just becoming popular back then. Another possibility is that Cedar Fair already knew they were going to RMC Mean Streak, and they didn't want KI to have an RMC SOB to compete with RMC Mean Streak. Think about it, the projections for Mean Streak's new height is to be 218' high. About same height as SOB! Trippy! Either way, KI is cursed to have Cedar Point only 4 hrs north of us. Next year CP gets a Meaner Streak and this year we get Mistake Timbers. Don't get me wrong, I think MT is a pretty good coaster, but nothing compared to what Mean Streak will be next year. And yes, I am disappointed that CP is going to get a record breaking RMC and we just got something a little better than a kiddie coaster. I believe KI deserves so much better. We used to get record breakers and prototype coasters a lot, now it just seems like good additions that can't compete with CP. Sorry to be a little negative, but I needed to say this.

• Like 2

Cedar Fairs looked at SOB like i huge problem they inherited when they purchased Kings Island.  i personally belueve that if Cedar Fairs wouldnt have bought it SOB may very well still be here today.  so far since the purchase of ki we have only recieved one amazing coaster and that is Banshee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, metalchic said:

Cedar Fairs looked at SOB like i huge problem they inherited when they purchased Kings Island.  i personally belueve that if Cedar Fairs wouldnt have bought it SOB may very well still be here today.  so far since the purchase of ki we have only recieved one amazing coaster and that is Banshee.

I agree. Banshee is an amazing invert, but CF had a chance to break all the Inverted Coaster records with Banshee. It was the first inverted coaster built in the US in almost a decade, so they had a chance to pull out all of the stops by replacing a record breaker in SOB with another true high caliber record breaker in Banshee.  They chose not to because CP has Wicked Twister, which is still the highest and fastest inverted coaster in the world. That is why I believe CF didn't go the extra 50 or so feet higher, to make Banshee the highest and fastest along with longest invert in the world.

I also think Diamondback was the other great addition by CF. It's one of the best Hyper Coasters out there. 

• Like 1

What incentive would Viacom (who owned the Paramount Parks) have in keeping a coaster condemned by the investigator who overlooked the 2006 incident, which happened mere days after CF's purchase of the Paramount Parks?  The 2006 accident would have happened either way since Paramount was too blind and cheap to fix it properly.  I don't think the timeline would play out so differently, but we'd probably have something lamer than Banshee in SOB's place since Paramount only built 1 B&M in their tenure and was on the prototype bandwagon in the late stages of ownership as well.

Though, in all likelihood, we'd probably still have Tomb Raider since the original ride program probably wouldn't have been messed with.  Perhaps a slower demise.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

What incentive would Viacom (who owned the Paramount Parks) have in keeping a coaster condemned by the investigator who overlooked the 2006 incident, which happened mere days after CF's purchase of the Paramount Parks?  The 2006 accident would have happened either way since Paramount was too blind and cheap to fix it properly.  I don't think the timeline would play out so differently, but we'd probably have something lamer than Banshee in SOB's place since Paramount only built 1 B&M in their tenure and was on the prototype bandwagon in the late stages of ownership as well.

Though, in all likelihood, we'd probably still have Tomb Raider since the original ride program probably wouldn't have been messed with.  Perhaps a slower demise.  

The prototypes go all the way back to the Taft ownership days, not just Viacom.

I don't think Banshee is lame. I believe it is one of the best ( if not THE BEST) inverts out there. I just believe CF doesn't want KI to have any height and speed record breakers at KI, especially, with CP only four hours north. 

• Like 1

I'm saying it would be lamer than Banshee because Banshee is that awesome and Paramount, at least going by their track record, didn't build anything up to Banshee's level when they had the Paramount Parks.  Banshee is among my top 5 favorite steel coasters for reference.

BTW, Banshee has the length and a shared inversion record for inverts. ;)  In fact, its the largest inverted coaster in the chain in every way imaginable.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I'm saying it would be lamer than Banshee because Banshee is that awesome and Paramount, at least going by their track record, didn't build anything up to Banshee's level when they had the Paramount Parks.  Banshee is among my top 5 favorite steel coasters for reference.  

I don't think Paramount could've built a B&M, even if they wanted to. Over the years, Paramount tried to get B&M to build some of it's coasters, but B&M had apparently signed an agreement with Cedar Point, stating that they couldn't build any of their coasters at any of it's competitors parks within a certain mile radius. I'm not sure how accurate that is, or if it's just a rumor, but I read and heard that by multiple sources throughout the years.

SOB was designed amazingly but they chose the wrong company to build it.  if it wouldnt have been demolished when it was RMC just maybe could have saved it.  by far SOB is the best wooden ive ever been on.  but my preference always has been steel.  my first coaster with an inversion was thunderbolt at camden park (Kings Islands old screamin demon)

I think the issue was there was too many overall structural issues from when it was first built that jsut an RMC overlay wouldn't have fixed it. The whole thing pretty much needed to be rebuilt. Also I agree with kirbias1. SOB was a fun coaster but far from anything truly amazing. The first half with the drop was great adn the loop was fun. But other than that major drop adn loop it was just a few helixes, nothing truly remarkable and very rough. I always rode it at least once each trip but while disappointed it was removed wasn't completely heart broken as I feel it woudl be easy to top, especailly if we got someone liek RMC to do one from the ground up.

• Like 1