The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 You're speaking from an enthusiast's perspective. There's still a huge number of Kings Island GP who would like a new standup coaster, a dive coaster, or something else before a giga. The GP are the people who bring money to the park so the chain has to look at each park's demographics and see what would fit best.

Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland didn't really have a big coaster lineup so adding gigas was a step in the right direction. Kings Island currently has a great coaster lineup so they don't need a giga like other parks do.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Are you guys saying that the giga rumors are officially dead?

There has never been any concrete evidence that we are getting a Giga in the near-future anyways.

And no, a tree getting cut down by The Beast is not “concrete evidence.”

• Like 10

Not saying to give up....if anything saying to relax and chill out on it. We're 85 pages in on this speculation for something that may not even happen for many years to come. 

I've been on KIC for 9 years now and this is the most insane thread I have ever seen and not because of how people interact with each other, but because of how far-fetched everything is as well as how some post as if it's a confirmed thing that will happen within the next year or so.

• Like 6

No, we're saying to consider all the other likely possibilities as well and don't exclusively focus on a giga.  I can think of quite a few things that could come instead of a giga.  Personally, I think KI needs to put a bit more focus on the intermediate range of guests, stuff in between what you find in Planet Snoopy and the coasters that are in the 48" height restrictions, like a Mack wild mouse or a Vekoma family coaster.  In terms of the next thrilling coaster, there's things like B&M floorless, a ground up RMC, a Mack or Premier launch coaster, etc. to choose from as well.  Think outside the giga box just because CW, KD and Carowinds got 'em.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JudeHoward said:

I haven't given up, but I am personally trying to be rational and open to other options. If we get something else I'll still be satisfied.

I'm open to anything. I want a giga because I think it's about time that something new should take the crown as the tallest and fastest coaster at the park. But if we get an RMC woodie, a Mack multilaunch, a dive, or anything, I wouldn't complain.

• Like 1

I think regardless of what we get, Kings Island will stay in the shadow of CP, Giga or not. People come to KI from all over the tri-state(For instance myself from northern KY). I dont think attendance will magically get higher if we go higher than 300 feet. If there's enough to do for families, and teenagers, and just GP in general the park will explode. We don't need a giga just for bragging rights, it needs to be an essential element to the KI experience, not just stats.

• Like 3

Just now, JubJester said:

Kings Island is not in the shadow of Cedar Point. It compliments Cedar Point. 

I chose my words poorly. I mean to imply we will never be the roller coaster capital such as they are. More along those lines.

• Like 3

The coaster building wars from back in the early 2000s are over.  There isn't a pressing need for any park to keep building bigger and faster, especially if the projected ROI isn't there to back up an urge for a park to build something like a giga.  SIX learned that lesson the hard way.  Kings Island has done fine without having to 'keep up' with Cedar Point, regardless if they've been in the same ownership or not.  I personally don't want to see Kings Island copy CP verbatim in terms of ride collection.  Banshee, Diamondback and Timbers were built because those were major holes in our line up compared to what the GP expects out of a park of Kings Island's size in today's environment.  However, I think KI has the luxury of being able to be more unique in their selection from here on out in terms of thrilling coasters.  I think KI needs to bolster their intermediate ride collection at this point, like a few family coasters and some flats.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I think KI needs to bolster their intermediate ride collection at this point, like a few family coasters and some flats.  

Agreed, we need more flats before adding a giga. If Canada's Wonderland has an uneven ratio of flats to coasters then Kings Island has an uneven ratio of coasters to flats. 

@Hawaiian Coasters 325, chill out man. :) We just got an awesome wooden coaster last year and the park has looked way better this season appearance wise than in years past. We still have a long way to go before we get a giga.

Its been 86 pages and its literally been nothing but concepts and arguments. 

• Like 4

hey guys!! Was at the park yesterday and I saw green track coming onto site back near action theater....................just kidding. I saw nothing at all new or markings or anything. I just had a blast. I will say Adventure Express was extremely more rough then years past from what I can remember. The Bat was awesome. Everything seemed great in the park yesterday. We took shelter in the beirgarten patio  during the rain storm. I have to ask why does Viking Fury still get to run when there is rain and lightning?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We can speculate about a gig, but expecting one will lead to being let down when it does not happen. There were grumblings when Banshee and Mystic Timbers were not Gigas. Guess what, the park continues to thrive even though they were not 350 ft tall machines. I love those 2 additions to the park, and at this point am not missing that they are not Gigas.  There is a big difference in hoping and expecting. I am eventually hoping to see a giga, but by no means am I expecting one, or feel we have not had our turn, we deserve one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

@Hawaiian Coasters 325, chill out man. :) We just got an awesome wooden coaster last year and the park has looked way better this season appearance wise than in years past. We still have a long way to go before we get a giga.

Its been 86 pages and its literally been nothing but concepts and arguments. 

I'm calming down. I still don't see a giga until at least 2020. I think a ride like Fury would fit very well because it's not just airtime like Diamondback and Mystic Timbers. It has some intense low to the ground turns. The gap that this giga would fill is having a coaster that's whole focus is maintaining the speed from drop to brakes. I don't see any large airtime hills. If we get a giga, it'll be like Fury with low to the ground banked turns that are intense. An intense tall coaster like Fury would fit very well in our coaster lineup. Also, the upside to adding a giga is that it would keep people happy for a while and they wouldn't have to add another coaster for at least 5 years and would work on their flat ride collection and their kids area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I don't want Fury. I want something new and different. I don't  was a replica. Fury is great but why can't we have a different  design.

I'll take a maverick replica at KI and skip the giga

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

orNow that's what I talking about! Haha

I am on team Giga but I would love this as well! Why not both! lol

The only Giga I've rode is MF and it was awesome, the maverick may just be my all time fav coaster with TTD right behind and MF and DB tied for 3rd

Obviously MF is higher and faster then DB, but DB's seats make it tie with it, if MF had DB seats, then I would take MF well over DB

• Like 1

Maverick will always be #1 to be. IDC what else I have been on lol. MF and Fury as great coasters. MF gets the nod for #2 because it was first. IF there was a giga that goes over 325.....well I hope Ki gets that.

Whoa whoa whoa @King Ding Dong I don't want B&M to ruin it.

** Prepares for the more reliable argument**

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Grobble said:

KI(now) and Carowinds(pre Fury 325) are in different spots.  KI has established good coaster line up, Carowinds at that tie had 2 top end coasters.  A giga or Carowinds made sense, it doesn't nearly as much for KI. Carowinds had a large untapped patron base that could grow greatly, KI has an established base and a 30M investment is not as likely to bring in the minimum ROI Cedar Fair bases decisions upon.  Solid family attractions and flats are much more likely to meet the ROI threshold than a 30M giga got KI.

I think we're getting a flat ride package very soon. I also think a kids area expansion is on its way as well. I think our next coaster will be in 2021 (either a giga or Trex).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

We can speculate about a gig, but expecting one will lead to being let down when it does not happen. There were grumblings when Banshee and Mystic Timbers were not Gigas. Guess what, the park continues to thrive even though they were not 350 ft tall machines. I love those 2 additions to the park, and at this point am not missing that they are not Gigas.  There is a big difference in hoping and expecting. I am eventually hoping to see a giga, but by no means am I expecting one, or feel we have not had our turn, we deserve one.

Park not doing well enough for the Cedar Fair brass...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cedar Fair purchased KI in 2006. They have built 4 rollercoasters since then, which is an average of one coaster every three years. If you go by the average, we will be getting another one in 2020. I doubt it will be a family coaster, as we have just gotten MT. A dive doesn't seem likely because of CW most likely receiving one next year, and a Mack doesn't seem likely since Carowinds is rumored to get one next year (unless we get a Mack spinning coaster), so, that leaves an RMC of some kind, an Intamin (which is unlikely), or B&M wing or giga. IMO, those are the most likely to be next. 

• Like 1