The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

I'd guess with Banshee and MT's popularity with the GP and their closeness in age, I'd say that we'll get the Giga in 2022 for the 50th. I just can't think that there could be planning on three or more major rides at once. In the meantime, I'd expect a lot of flat rides until then if I were the planning committee at CF.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, starlitfire said:

I'd guess with Banshee and MT's popularity with the GP and their closeness in age, I'd say that we'll get the Giga in 2022 for the 50th. I just can't think that there could be planning on three or more major rides at once. In the meantime, I'd expect a lot of flat rides until then if I were the planning committee at CF.

Yeah, I think 2018 will be a flat ride(s). 2019: Planet Snoopy. 2020: Soak City water coaster.  2021:Dark ride. 2022: Giga ( I hope).

Hopefully, KI's 50th will equal a Gigacoaster installation. I am really not understanding the hate for Mystic Timbers. It is a brilliant coaster that has wild, non stop pacing, crazy changes in direction and an ending that is far more suitable than sitting outside in the scorching heat while waiting for the next train to leave the station. That first drop is really cool aspect of this coaster. When it comes to wood coasters, although I loved SOB myself, it proved that pure wooden coasters should not be built that high. 

Now, a coaster like Maverick would be a great addition as well. Not to mention that Cedar Point and Kings Island are NOT in competition with each other. They pull from two very different markets. That is not to say that people like me don't go out of their way to travel further to either park, but the majority of patrons do NOT come from the same market. It's a fact, not opinion.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, KIBeast said:

I am really not understanding the hate for Mystic Timbers.

I think there was a lot of hate before the ride even opened and a lot of it died down after the first couple of weeks. People always want bigger and longer rides so they tend to under estimate the smaller ones. Now I hear the GP saying how much they love the ride whenever I go to the park. I love the ride but I understand why people felt let down at first. Over hype and high expectations sometimes skew people's opinion of things. Look at Batman v Superman.

• Like 6

People were hoping for an RMC coaster (I'm guilty of this) but when the plans were leaked and I spent a little more time looking at the area, a GCI made so much more sense than an RMC, I do think that it's very likely that KI will get an RMC eventually, but not in the immediate future.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rhyano said:

People were hoping for an RMC coaster (I'm guilty of this) but when the plans were leaked and I spent a little more time looking at the area, a GCI made so much more sense than an RMC, I do think that it's very likely that KI will get an RMC eventually, but not in the immediate future.

I am guessing a lot of that hinges on the success of Mean Streak.

• Like 3

My only problem with what I will call anticipointment, is the people who were disappointed are the ones who over-hyped it up in their own minds. Of course, you will hear a lot of hype coming from Kings Island as they are trying to get people to come see their new coaster. The coaster community, for the majority, should know by now that this is Cedar Fair and not Disney, so you are not going to see anything more spectacular in the shed than what is there. KI does not have the kind of budget to have the effects that some are imagining. Also, if you are part of the coaster community and haven't figured it out by now, the company is now being ran with a different audience in mind than when Dick Kenzel was President of the company. They are leaning more towards excitement and thrills for families, not record breaking coasters for a select few. Think of it this way, I easily blew $1,000 in two days there with my little family. When I was more a part of the coaster enthusiast community, I spent far less. CF knows where the money is at.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am guessing a lot of that hinges on the success of Mean Streak.

And RMC Hurler. :P In seriousness, Cedar Fair is probably gonna watch very closely how the 2 2018 RMC's perform before they build more. I would not be shocked if there weren't any more in 2019, since they'd be spending 2018 watching how Mean Streak & Hurler do over at LEAST their first year. If they are successful, then we'll probably see more of them starting around the 2020-2021 time period. Cedar Fair is not gonna want another WindSeeker fiasco where they build 6 of them in 2 years and then they all begin having problems. This would also give them time to evaluate all the current wooden coasters in the chain, and decide if any of them would benefit from a full blown RMC conversion or not.

Also I'll note this on Mystic Timbers (or at least the reviews of it)- most of the negative comments I have read about it online are from Facebook (when Kings Island itself does a post on MT usually) or Youtube...not exactly the best places for educated unbiased reviews. All the reviews I have seen by actual coaster enthusiasts who have actually ridden it have been very positive ("meh" is about the worst review I have ever seen and that was only once or twice out of at least 100+ reviews). It does annoy me a bit when someone who clearly has never ridden it bashes it and calls it garbage just because it's only 109 feet tall and "only" goes 53mph. Those kind of people have to be in the minority though, because from what I've seen and read on the wait times thread Mystic Timbers gets huge waits even though it does have pretty good capacity even on slow days where right across the walkway, a beloved 230-foot tall B&M Hyper is a station wait or walk-on. And by now, people should know what's in the shed, so it's probably not that part getting them to re-ride over and over...unless they are trying to get all 3, maybe more (have heard things from semi-reputable sources there is 1 more), endings but I doubt it.

• Like 2

While taking a trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower earlier this week, I was chatting with the op about plans for the Crypt building.

She said that there is nothing on the docket for it right now but KI is currently evaluating options and doing preliminary surveys on the land between the SoB station and The Bat for something "big" and gave a wink.

Perhaps teasing he Giga or just hyping the park and entertaining riders?

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, awoody said:

While taking a trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower earlier this week, I was chatting with the op about plans for the Crypt building.

She said that there is nothing on the docket for it right now but KI is currently evaluating options and doing preliminary surveys on the land between the SoB station and The Bat for something "big" and gave a wink.

I'm sure they like to tease people. They might hear minor things or rumors, from higher ups but not enough to give anything away. Greg said that the coaster process takes about three years of planning before the actual ride is installed. So when Banshee opened to the public, the park was basically planning for Mystic Timbers. I could be wrong but that's what I heard. 

• Like 3

On 6/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, awoody said:

She likely doesn't know anything, especially not this early in the game.

• Like 5

Assuming the next coaster is three years out, any work would still be done almost entirely by corporate.  VERY few people at the park would know what is going on.  The people who do know something also know to not talk.  Any rumors at this point are likely complete garbage.  There might be a small nugget of truth for instance maybe a group was in the park doing some survey work but trying to tie that to a new coaster is likely not actually based on any real information.

• Like 3

Guy talking in video like he knows for sure that a Giga is coming in 2019. I just don't see it, although, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think cost is the issue. Mystic Timbers probably only cost around 10 million. That is about the same as WindSeeker. Therefore, I think with MT being relatively inexpensive, they could afford a Giga in 2019.

• Like 1

I created this giga in No Limits 2. It's made specifically for what I think Kings Island most needs, being strong ejector airtime, low turns, banked turns, and intensity. I don't know where this would fit in the park (possibly X-Base/Dinosaurs Alive area but the choice is up to you) or even if it could fit in the park. I would just like to see something like this around 2020-2022!

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is named River Monster because of how important the Ohio River is to the regions history, kinda in the same way how Fury 325 was named!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks awesome DiamondBanshee! Best one I think i've seen yet. KI needs to look at this one when designing it.

Thanks so much!!! This means a lot to me because I aspire to design roller coasters and I am actually going into mechanical engineering because of that dream!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DiamondBanshee said:

What's the dimensions? 

Thanks so much!!! This means a lot to me because I aspire to design roller coasters and I am actually going into mechanical engineering because of that dream!

It's about 7,800 feet long, 368 feet tall, and goes 100 mph for those wondering. I didn't put a MCBR because gigas seem to stay away from them. Steel Dragon is the only one with them. I feel like lines wouldn't be too terrible because one train could be on the course while one is on the lift and one is being loaded. For example, look at Banshee. After the Zero-G roll the next train can be sent. I feel like this would be similar. After a certain element, a train could be sent up the lift while the next starts to get loaded

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Idk about behemoth but as for Intimidator, it is just not that good. Diamondback is so much better with much better and stronger airtime. I feel like many people don't say much about intimidator because it's honestly an average ride.

On a side note, having just ridden fury last week, I would love if KI got a coaster like it. It's fun, fast, intense, and has awesome ejector airtime! It would honestly be the perfect fit.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I really want to see how a giga would changed the GPs view of Diamondback, should one ever come to the park. I've never heard what people though about Intimidator or Behemoth after Fury 325 and Leviathan were built.

I was at Carowinds on the Saturday of 4th of July weekend 1 year ago and the line for Intimidator was significantly longer than Fury's. It really did seem like the more popular ride that day. I was surprised. I also thought Intimidator wasn't as good as Diamondback like most coaster polls show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

I was at Carowinds on the Saturday of 4th of July weekend 1 year ago and the line for Intimidator was significantly longer than Fury's. It really did seem like the more popular ride that day. I was surprised. I also thought Intimidator wasn't as good as Diamondback like most coaster polls show.

Does Fury have better capacity than Intimidator? I don't know if Fury has cubbies but that might shorten lines

After seeing how much MIA's Corkscrew's colors pop, I'd like the giga to be colors like that, basically a brighter, flashier Behemoth color scheme, but the supports either a darker teal (darker than the track of Invertigo) or a solid blue color. 

28 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Does Fury have better capacity than Intimidator? I don't know if Fury has cubbies but that might shorten lines

I did a quick check on RCDB, according to them, Intimidator SHOULD have higher capacity: it is listed at 1600pph, while Fury 325 is listed at 1470. Though RCDB's capacity numbers can be very, very incorrect at times (Flight of Fear does NOT pull 2,000pph!) and I think Intimidator's 1600pph was from before seatbelts were added.

Intimidator's wait times could have also been increased if it's ride crew wasn't doing as good as job as Fury 325's, causing things like stacking and whatnot, increasing its wait to make it seem more popular when in fact the Fury 325 crew could have been kicking butt (like Banshee sometimes does) and thus not allowing huge lines to even form.

• Like 1