Cedar Point changes its long-used logo

http://www.wkyc.com/features/cedar-point-changes-its-logo-see-the-new-design/395807288
I really don't understand why companies keep going for the "generic logo" look. Is creativity in the design industry really that dead?

To be brutally honest, yes, as long as corporate continues to hire "snowflakes" to keep things nice.

GE's new office building wants people to "meet" in areas throughout the building. That would be nice, if those you had to meet with were local to the building or at least the area.

Also, no personal items in cubicles or offices, like say pictures of your family. You might offend a snowflake!
  • Like 2

The current trend in design is flat more 2d "material" look. It has started to be seen in a lot of apps and most of Android 6 and 7.0. You can even tell the more flat, simple designs in the newest iOS (8,9,10). A lot of company's are changing there logo to be more like this.

• Like 1

I work in graphic design creating advertisements and e-mail campaigns for a local business.  I know a lot of the trouble I run into is the complete lack of comprehension of what good design is or what it looks like.  I can create 20 different graphics where I've wracked my brain and tried to push the design creatively, only to get feedback from my boss saying, "I don't like any of these."  Usually what they end up picking is something simple and generic and it makes me question why I spend so much time trying to be creative. 

In instances like this, it's possible that the "higher ups" just have no vision for good design or creativity, and that leaves their trained graphic artists to produce generic looking stuff like this.  I can tell you from experience, this is one of the most frustrating things that can happen on the job and it makes  you want to bash your head into your desk, get up, and walk out of that office forever.  For the graphic designers in those scenarios, I truly sympathize.

• Like 13

Its not just Cedar Fair.  Several restaurant chains have also reimagined their logos recently.  O`Charleys, Olive Garden, Wendy`s all have opted for more simplified versions of their logos.  In almost all instances, I preferred the original logo to the new ones.  They just seem so plain and boring.

• Like 9

... I spend so much time trying toIn instances like this, it's possible that the "higher ups" just have no vision for good design or creativity, and that leaves their trained graphic artists to produce generic looking stuff like this.  I can tell you from experience, this is one of the most frustrating things that can happen on the job and it makes  you want to bash your head into your desk, get up, and walk out of that office forever.  For the graphic designers in those scenarios, I truly sympathize.

If this is it, I'd be canning higher ups every time things don't perform well. Just because I supervise, doesn't mean I know anything about graphic design.

It almost reminds me of the Top Gun days at KI, when they went to repaint the ride, and the higher ups asked why they used silver primer, and they told them that was the final color.

Heads would have rolled, if I was in charge. Worst design idea ever.
  • Like 2

I think it really depends on the company.  If it is a design-oriented company, then higher ups should know which designs follow good design principles.  However, some companies are just normal companies that higher artists/graphic designers to perform a few tasks when needed.  Such is my case.  The company I work for is not a design company, so the management team are not artists and they have not been to school for design, so they think "good design" is whatever they think looks good - which is not always the case. 

I've been hired at my job because I've been educated and trained in a particular field, which is design.  My boss hired me because of my experience with design, however, there are always those bosses out there that think they know more than their employees.  There have been many times that I have tried to explain why his particular choices or direction on a design project was not necessarily a good one.  His response? "Do what I told you to do, or I'll do it myself.  Then I won't need you here."  True story.  I'm wondering how many of these corporations who resort to these "simpler" logos were a result of a management team that thought they knew better than the educated, trained, graphic designers who they had hired to perform this task.  There have been some logos and designs I've seen before that were so bad that I questioned how any capable designer could've created such a mess, then I think back to my experiences and wonder if it was just a result of a crappy manager telling their employee to "Do what I tell you, or else!"

• Like 3

On a screen, crisp and clean looks great.  However, white looks generic. 

I've noticed that Kroger has gone "retro" on its' remodeling of stores.  It's gotten so bad that stores that were converted to MarketPlace stores  last summer are being reconverted--from furniture and jewelry to clothing, with 70's design principles.

However, I'd LOVE for KI to go retro with its' logo similiar to what KD has done.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matt112986 said:

That doesn't look like the new logo to me. The letters aren't as bold or consistent. It's much closer to their old one.

Looks like a little in between the old and new. Maybe they didn't have the new one selected when the water tower was painted? I think I like the  new water tower logo the best though.