The Great Lake Escape and Steel City Adventures- silver2005's Kennywood, CP and MIA TR

silver2005

I figured now would be a good time to get this thread going and start gathering info for my 2 summer trips. 

I mostly know what I'm doing at Cedar Point and I'll be going 2 days so getting everything I want to in shouldn't be a problem.  I haven't been since 2011, and so any info pertaining to things that are new (aside from rides) would be nice.  Having heard the lack of food quality there, any tips on food would be nice as well.  Also, how necessary is Fast Lane during the week in mid-June? Also, with the addition of Gatekeeper and Valravn, how do the crowds flow during the day?  I'm used to parking back by Soak City, starting in the back and making my way towards the front.  I hope to grab a rollback on TTD as well (if its on ERT).  

Michigan's Adventure should be a easy park to navigate, but I welcome tips, particularly with decent lodging around Muskegon.  

My trip to Kennywood and Pittsburgh is something entirely new to me.  I will (hopefully) have malem along for that so getting all the ins and outs there won't be an issue.  I am spending a day in Pittsburgh for a Reds/Pirates game in early August on top of that, regardless of how the Reds do this season.   If anyone wants to tag along with any of these trips, I'm open to it, though for at least one day at CP and MIA, I would like some time for me, myself and I.  

• Like 1

My wife and I went to Pittsburgh back in 14 and had an enjoyable time.  We also went to Kennywood for a day while we were there as well.  Pittsburgh size wise reminds you a lot of Cincinnati.  We stayed in Bethel Park which is only about 20 minutes outside of the city.  I would recommend trying to do the stadium tour when you go to PNC as it is nice to see the behind the scenes of the ballpark.  It is a really nice ballpark and it is a good town to walk downtown and sight-see.  

As far as Kennywood, I was really impressed with the park.  Phantom's Revenge is a really great coaster and I liked it better than Diamondback.  I also really enjoyed Jack Rabbit and Exterminator.  Thunderbolt and Racer were also good.  I see a lot of people rank Thunderbolt and Racer higher but I preferred Jack Rabbit to those.  All five are solid coasters.  They also have some nice things like Noah's Ark that are very unique.  We were there on a weekday in June and it was not that busy.   Hope you enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Have you thought about Waldameer vs Michigan's Adventure? https://rcdb.com/4646.htm
I much prefer it over MIA and its only 2.5hrs away from Cedar Point.

Don't even think about comparing Kennywood to a Cedar Fair or corporate company. Don't go just for the coasters, the park has a very unique charm about it which is why I rank it so highly. :)

As to get a rollback on TTD, I thought it only roll-backed typically during the beginning and end of the season when the weather is colder in the morning.

• Like 2

I haven't been to either MIA or Waldameer and I already have a Platinum Pass.  In terms of money, I can't afford to go on much more than what I already have planned.  I have to stay 2 nights around either MIA or Waldameer to pace myself due to medical stuff I have to deal with and I already have admission to MIA.  I'm also leaving open the possibility of a day trip to KK (Thunder Run's new PTC's might be enough for me to return).  

And I wasn't going to compare Kennywood to anyone else.  I have enough experience with parks to take them for what they are.  Heck, my 2 favorite parks are Dollywood and Hersheypark which I like exactly for the reason you stated about Kennywood.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 10:28 PM, silver2005 said:

Oh, I have another request- what's the best strategy to get a rollback on TTD?

The only rollbacks I've seen with riders were two trains right after a one-hour shutdown for rain. They were the fourth and fifth trains sent out with riders, IIRC, but it could happen to any of the first few. So try to be on one of the first few trains after a lengthy shutdown. This may require being in line before the ride shuts down and then waiting out the delay in the station, because from my experience, many people will wait out delays on TTD (much more so than other rides) because of the hopes of getting a rollback.

• Like 1

I love Kennywood too!  The Kangaroo ride is an awesome fun flat ride.  It is reportedly the only ride of its kind left in the world.

My wife (fiance at the time) and I visited Kennywood several years ago.  We had a blast.  The coasters are all fun, and the place has charm.  There is even a reference to Cincinnati`s Coney Island, by the windmill close to the front of the park, that was modeled after one that once resided at Coney Island.  There is a plaque denoting this in front of the windmill.

I like Kennywood so much, that when a business trip for work had me driving into the Pittsburgh area on a June afternoon, I swung by Kennywood for a few hours in the evening, just by myself.  I had a fun time.

Waldameer is also a fun park, as is Hershey.  Dorney Park is fun too, although it kind of has a feeling of a watered down Cedar Point.  They have some similar looking buildings, like their Carousel building and Coasters restaurant.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, silver2005 said:

My trip to Kennywood and Pittsburgh is something entirely new to me.  I will (hopefully) have malem along for that so getting all the ins and outs there won't be an issue.  I am spending a day in Pittsburgh for a Reds/Pirates game in early August on top of that, regardless of how the Reds do this season.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as I have a week or so notice of which day you want to visit Kennywood. Avoiding August 1 would be best.

I'm definitely overdue for a return visit, having only visited once (in 2014). Knowing how much you enjoy Diamondback, I'll be curious to see how Phantom compares. (For me, Phantom is in a close race with Magnum as top hyper.)

56 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Dorney Park is fun too, although it kind of has a feeling of a watered down Cedar Point.  They have some similar looking buildings, like their Carousel building and Coasters restaurant.

I generally agree about Dorney, but there's still charm in that park if you look for it. The entrance plaza and front half are very Dick Kinzel-esque.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, malem said:

Shouldn't be a problem as long as I have a week or so notice of which day you want to visit Kennywood. Avoiding August 1 would be best.

I'm definitely overdue for a return visit, having only visited once (in 2014). Knowing how much you enjoy Diamondback, I'll be curious to see how Phantom compares. (For me, Phantom is in a close race with Magnum as top hyper.)

I generally agree about Dorney, but there's still charm in that park if you look for it. The entrance plaza and front half are very Dick Kinzel-esque.

Yes.  I love their Whip ride.  In fact, I prefer it over the Whips at Hershey and Kennywood.

• 1 month later...

It's not real hilly....the real big hill is not really one at all, but it's going from the ticket gates down to the park....you walk down one of two ramps, through a tunnel and boom you're there. There are a few hills in the park, but they aren't much.....I'd consider them as steep as the hill from Larossa's in Rivertown to Vortex. If I'm remembering them correctly.

• Like 1

So I'll be booking my 2 trips next month once I get a few more paychecks in.  Still comparing hotels in northern Ohio, but Michigan and Pittsburgh are good to go.  The Pittsburgh trip is looking pretty good in terms of costs.  I'm seeing decent seat prices for Pirates tickets.  

I'd also appreciate food recommendations for MIA, CP, Pittsburgh and KW.  

37 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Anyway to get good discounts on tickets for Kennywood?

They do a discount if you purchase I think a week ahead of your trip which is a pretty good deal. You may also find discounts at local Giant Eagles (In Pittsburgh). 

7 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

So I'll be booking my 2 trips next month once I get a few more paychecks in.  Still comparing hotels in northern Ohio, but Michigan and Pittsburgh are good to go.  The Pittsburgh trip is looking pretty good in terms of costs.  I'm seeing decent seat prices for Pirates tickets.  

KW- Potato Patch Fries
Pittsburgh- Primanti Borthers
CP- Melt Bar/Panda Express/Frontier Inn
MIA- Haven't been there.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, malem said:

^ Do you know yet on which day you're planning to do Kennywood, or will you be flexible that week?

August 3rd ideally.  The trip will be from August 1-4 (leave the 1st, Pirates on the 2nd, Kennywood on the 3rd, leave for Cincy on the 4th)  I can be flexible-ish in that I can probably wait to buy the Pirates tickets if you need me to be.  I would like to do the game before Kennywood.  

Also, on the off chance I have to solo run Kennywood, do they pair up single riders on T-bolt or do you have to have an even numbered party?

^ The 2nd is probably my safest bet that week, but August 3 should work. The 1st is the day I really need to avoid if possible.

The signage at the entrance says that single riders aren't permitted, but they do pair single riders who make it to the station & ask.

• Like 2

BTW, if all goes as planned at MIA and CP (which includes Rougarou as a separate credit from Mantis),  my first coaster at Kennywood will be my 80th coaster credit.  Currently debating with myself a toss up between T-bolt and Phantom.

Also, for one day at CP, I am Fast Laning. 

I've been to Michigan's Adventure once but it's been a few years. The most surprising thing for me was that Shivering Timbers runs almost the entire length of their parking lot. It's a nice sight as you pull in.  Mad Mouse (wild mouse coaster by Arrow) is running, hop in line. It went down on my second day and I didn't get a chance to ride it more than once. It will likely be your longest wait but is worthy of waiting. Most rides run one or two trains. I went at the end of June and had minimum waits for everything. It seems that most people visit for the water park. Do take a trip on the train - it's tiny and very different from KI/CP trains. 

A couple things to note. Absolutely grab a map. The park can be a bit interesting to navigate. You'd think you could walk in a big loop but you can't. There is a big pond/small lake in the middle of the park - their Viking ship is right on the water. There are bumper boats and swan paddle boats. If it isn't busy, they'll let you stay out for a while with the Swans. There are tons of flats - with several that we don't have at KI. Their bumper cars were speedy and fun. There is very little shade. The carrousel has some great horses! 

Weather wise, think of it like CP in May. It could be chilly depending on when you go. 

I didn't eat there. (I was there for a few hours the first night and only until early afternoon before leaving to head to CP.) It seemed that lots of people packed lunches and ate at their cars. 

If you have time, you can swing by Muskegon State Park and see some sand dunes and Lake Michigan. 

Last thing that I remember reading about  MiA when I looking to go, it is one of the smallest CF parks. Don't go expecting to be blown away by the biggest and best coasters. What they do have is nice and fun and it is great for a visit. I'm glad I went and could see myself going again in the next few years. I can see where it was likely a very charming family park before "deforesting" the park happened. I hope you have a great visit! 

• Like 2

The other thing is I'm not doing MIA and CP on back to back days.  I'm giving myself a day to travel from Muskegon to Port Clinton/Sandusky.  A big reason for that as well as going with MIA first is pacing because of my medical ailments.  CP is a big park which I'm using 2 days to tackle including a day for Fast Laning.  I want to work my way up to that plus have some R&R time on the lake.  I adore staying in Port Clinton.  Its a beautiful town, its only a half hour drive to CP, and the hotels are easier to book.  

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, silver2005 said:

The other thing is I'm not doing MIA and CP on back to back days.  I'm giving myself a day to travel from Muskegon to Port Clinton/Sandusky.  A big reason for that as well as going with MIA first is pacing because of my medical ailments.  CP is a big park which I'm using 2 days to tackle including a day for Fast Laning.  I want to work my way up to that plus have some R&R time on the lake.  I adore staying in Port Clinton.  Its a beautiful town, its only a half hour drive to CP, and the hotels are easier to book.  

Glad to know someone else has stayed in Port Clinton, as I have not but am planning on it.

Any good hotel recommendations for Port Clinton?  I'm trying to decide which look best for a night or two during CoasterMania

On 3/15/2017 at 2:51 PM, silver2005 said:

Check out the original Pirmanti Brothers in downtown Pittsburgh!! It's amazing and is open 24 hours. It's about a mile from the stadium. Also check out DeLuca's which is also downtown. They have easily the best breakfast in Pittsburgh. Both of theses restaurants were awesome & they were both on Man-vs-Food.