Beast vs Voyage

Hey everyone. Just thought I would check in since I've been gone for a while. Who knew starting a website would require so much work. Lol

But anyway, I threw together a quick versus video for our YouTube channel. Just thought you guys might enjoy it. If you do, please subscribe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Great video!  I personally prefer The Beast, but love the Voyage. 

Since you have a nice talent with creating videos, could you look into doing a video/videos that involves comparing the animation POV and a real POV?  I always thought a split screen of that would be great, but I have no talent for such things.

• Like 1

This is a great video... and while comparing the two coasters isnt even remotely realistic, I will say what Ive said before.  When both coasters are in proper states of repair, and running as they should, Voyage does what its intended to do better than Beast does. That is my feeling and mine alone, YMMV.  I will also be the first to stand up and say that Beast was running very, very well last year.

• Like 4

Huh, I saw that video beforehand but didn't realize someone from here made it. Awesome video BTW.

On the topic said video is about, I perfer Beast, but a big part of that is its awesome night rides, which I have yet to get on Voyage since it is a bit tougher to visit Holiday World after dark without going to an enthusiast event or visiting them during the fall (when their waterpark- a huge draw for Holiday World- is closed), and it was very rough (and airtimeless somehow!) in 2011 and had a rough 2nd half in 2013 (though that time there was good airtime at least) when I last rode it. If Holiday World got it running smoothly and I got a night ride on it then, that might change though.

Granted I also have a soft spot for Beast since it was also the ride that broke my fear of roller coasters 8 years ago in 2009, opening Pandora's Coaster Box for me if you will...so any new coasters I ride and love now, I kinda owe to Beast...

• Like 3

While Voyage is pretty decent at night, I have to give the nod to Beast.  Voyage keeps up its intensity a bit too long for my tastes.  If it were about 1,500 ft shorter, I'd give it more consideration.  While Beast isn't as crazy on the forces, I like that its sprawled out over such a big area and the helix finale is pretty hard to top, even if it needs a 2nd lift.  It handles the psychology aspect of coasters better IMO. 

Legend gets it just right though. ;)

• Like 4

I didn't watch the whole video, but imo, Beast > Voyage. Although Voyage is more aggressive (when Voyage is done with the three hills, think The Beast's helix x1.5); The Beast is a unique classic that's in a league all of it's own. It's like Banshee and The Bat; while Banshee is more thrilling, The Bat is more nostalgic and all around cooler to me. While Voyage is more thrilling, The Beast is a classic that is cool in it's own ways. :)

Also, my favorite part(s) of Voyage are when it starts going crazy in the woods right after the hills and that awesome Lightning Racer-esque finish where it pops out of that tunnel into the twists before slamming on the brakes. My favorite part(s) of The Beast are: going up the slow lift, smelling the wood, the part from that one lone hill/drop after the first tunnel (I always put my hands up there) to the second lift, and of course the double helix finale is iconic and great.

• Like 2

I'm always for Voyage, hands down. While The Beast is a legend that must always be respected, you can't argue that Voyage just does its job better. Beast is an insane speed run through the trees that basically boils down to being a glorified mine train with a very forceful helix finale. Voyage has an insane amount of airtime, some pretty intense lats, lots of twists and turns (though that kind of cheats for being a newer coaster), and lots and lots of tunnels. I'd say the only similarity is them both being fast wooden coasters that hide from the rest of the park, but with the park's newest expansion, Voyage doesn't do that so much anymore. I suppose in the sence of being hidden, Beast does win, but Voyage is a much better ride IMO.

That said, Raven>Voyage>Legend for the Holiday World trio

• Like 3

Just so you guys know, you can get Voyage night rides outside of HoliWood Nights.  I got about 7 in a row in late July last season.  Santa Claus is right after the timezone change, so its dark even at 8 pm.  I probably could have done all 3 at night in a visit (if they would have been all open...). 

silver2005, still annoyed at the lack of Raven rides he got last visit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Beast is iconic and I love it, but there's really no comparison. The Voyage is so much better from an intensity and element point of view. Beast has nostalgia going for it and a great night ride. 

Just watching how the video switches back and forth makes it clear. After the first couple hills on The Beast, it's mostly straight track with a big slowdown in the shed and a slow build to another lift hill while Voyage is hitting element after element. Hills and lateral g's. 90 degree banked turns. So many tunnels. A freaking triple down! Headchoppers galore. So much air time. It never lets up and seems to build all the way to end without the need of a 2nd hill.

If only they can keep its intensity from destroying itself.

Nice video, by the way.

• Like 2