Lakemont Park lease extended 10 additional years

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/amusement-park-asks-for-extension/651909445?utm_source=ITPS+Amusement+INdustry+News&utm_campaign=6206d1ee91-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_51d9c64022-6206d1ee91-231732317

This park is home to the oldest wooden roller coaster in operation in the United States. 

Very interesting park, but I don't honestly see it being open through this extension.

• Like 3

It should be noted that this would extend their lease through April 30th 2066. The need for the extension was cited as being so that they can do long term repairs to several buildings on property.  Not sure exactly how getting an extension helps with that.

I have never been to this park.  Would you say that this park is struggling?  I would love to visit it someday.  It will be a few years out, as most of our trips in the next few years will be more local.

• Like 1

Yeah, long term repairs to several buildings.....not sure about that....unless the county commissioners own the buildings on top of the property where the leasing agreement has stipulations on the conditions of the buildings at the end of the lease.  

I would say the park is struggling based on my one visit. I visited mid summer, mid afternoon and essentially had the run of the park. It's a neat park for sure. It seemed as if the park was more of a come and picnic park though. 

The one thing I think hurts them, is the additional cost (outside of admission) to ride Leap The Dips (the oldest wooden coaster in operation) even though it's worth it. 

Skyliner is one of my favorite wooden coasters. It's a bit rough, but the airtime is absolutely amazing. The other rides are less than memorable though. Although they do have a Toboggan coaster in operation! 

• Like 3

I visited for the first time last summer. The park really is a great value; an evening ride wristband & two rides on Leap the Dips cost around $20. As a bonus, if driving across Pennsylvania, you can save $30+ on tolls by detouring to the park and away from the PA Turnpike.

I second Chris on Skyliner; it's some of the best airtime I've had on a coaster with a buzz bar as the only restraint. It didn't strike me as particularly rough; I marathoned it since crowds were very light.

Their collection of (mostly portable) flat rides is worth checking out as well. I rode a Sky Diver for the first time, which exscream team made more thrilling (and a bit terrifying) by spinning the cage as fast as he could. If you're my height or taller, be aware that it's a really tight fit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

If they do open next year I might have to find a way to squeeze in a stop at Lakemont next summer (like I did with Conneaut last year). I was planning to visit this summer until they announced they were closing for renovations. At least they're still going to be open for their holiday stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I agree that Waldameer is a great park. That's the 2nd PA park I ever visited (the first being New Conneaut Lake Park). Maybe I'll get Lakemont in next year if they reopen like they plan (if I go back to PA that is - tentative plans for next year have me going to SFStL, SDC and WOF instead of hitting Pennsylvania).

• Like 2