Jump to content
SonofBaconator

Is Intamin coming back to Cedar Fair?

Recommended Posts

Since it was announced that CGA will be getting a LIM steel coaster that'll be 200+ feet in the future, the question has to be asked- "Is Intamin coming back to Cedar Fair?"

The last time Cedar Fair worked with Intamin was back in 2010 when they added Intimidator 305 to Kings Dominion and Shoot the Rapids to Cedar Point.. After 2010, Intamin has been notably absent from the Cedar Fair chain as B&Ms and GCIs started to be built in multiple parks. Though Intamin has produced great rides over the years, they haven't necessarily been labeled as reliable. Sections of rides like I305 and Maverick have been re-tracked after being built either changing elements or removing them all together. Also Shoot the Rapids had an accident that injured several riders. 

Is it possible that Cedar Fair is bringing Intamin back?

Or is it possible (but extremely unlikely) that Wicked Twister at CP might move to CGA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Intamin's reliability, I highly doubt that Cedar Fair would bring in an Intamin to a California park. I'm thinking they wouldn't with how California is extremely difficult on rides inspections.

I also think if Cedar Fair were to do a project with Intamin again, it'd be a much bigger scale than an impulse coaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may go back to the rezoning topic, but if you look at the descriptions of the rides they are proposing, they are proposing building a clone of Wicked Twister or relocating the ride, in my personal opinion, it would make more sense to build an impulse coaster new, also it's something Intamin has done a handful of times instead of building something with possible reliability issues, also what would they put in Wicked Twister's footprint at Cedar Point, there isn't much space you can work with unless you build out in the beach (unlikely due to the watertable and the freak storms in Sandusky).

15822548_1640380646256292_47091624761978

Link: (https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15822548_1640380646256292_4709162476197874416_n.jpg?oh=0e31f19479c11fe9afeb45507640b53b&oe=590E6936)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because they mentioned a ride in a zoning package, and had a picture of Wicked Twister does not mean that they are going to move Wicked Twister to CGA. The hyper coaster pictures I believe was Diamondback.  They could always move another one of the impulse coasters they have (the one at Dorney originated at a park in Ohio that used to number its flags).  Or they could, as others have stated, get a similar ride from another manufacturer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how much you are quickly are being in denial about something like CP moving WT to CGA. But seriously.

A SMALL FOOTPRINT, high thrill roller coaster using LINEAR INDUCTION MOTORS to propel a train BACK & FORTH, in a straight section climbing TWO TOWERS at either end (Twists at the end) speeds up to 70mph.

Literally Wicked Twister. 

But That could also mean a new one is coming. OR CP is removing wicked twister for a new park expansion, especially to Snoopy area? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not in denial about Wicked Twister leaving CP.  I am simply stating that what is proposed at a planning meeting for zoning purposes does not necessarily mean that is going to come to fruition.  Yes, the plan was adopted, but that does not mean they can`t switch out ride hardware for another similar type attraction.  They were using the wording (and the image) as a way to demonstrate things they intend to bring, but these things can often change as the years go by.  Plans change.

Just look at KI.  Originally, the site of the old Flight Commander ride was to have a drop ride placed there, and the park even put a sign up there for the ride.  They ended up not installing it and opted instead for a water park expansion instead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not ruling out Intamin possibly returning to the chain. I would actually prefer the company to do some smaller work for Cedar Fair like shuttle coasters and flat rides. 

I mainly say this because honestly, I think Mack is going to dominate Intamin when it comes to intense launched coasters in the coming years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

With Intamin's reliability, I highly doubt that Cedar Fair would bring in an Intamin to a California park. I'm thinking they wouldn't with how California is extremely difficult on rides inspections.

I also think if Cedar Fair were to do a project with Intamin again, it'd be a much bigger scale than an impulse coaster.

I most definitely agree with the first part of this, the only State equal to or worse than CA regarding ride inspections is Jersey.  The second part, not so much, and I say that because an impulse would be a good "test ride" so to speak in order to see if Intamightwork has at least somewhat remedied its reliability/downtime issues.

 

EDIT:  Id like to take this time to say I would LOVE to see them come back into the game, Id Love to ride something new at a CF park that actually raised my heart rate a bit, which B&M has failed miserably at doing since Banshee.*

 

*Note, I have not ridden Fury 325 yet, so that may be the sole exception to this statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the picture they are using, I am guessing that Intamin will be building a new ride for CGA or one that is an Intamin is being relocated. I don't think it will be another manufacturer, but that's my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

EDIT:  Id Love to ride something new at a CF park that actually raised my heart rate a bit, which B&M has failed miserably at doing since Banshee.*

 

*Note, I have not ridden Fury 325 yet, so that may be the sole exception to this statement.

 

Just curious......which new B&M rides at CF have failed miserable for you since Banshee not counting Fury?

I can only think of one, Valravn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MantisMan said:

 

Just curious......which new B&M rides at CF have failed miserable for you since Banshee not counting Fury?

I can only think of one, Valravn?

I'd even argue that they had a winner on their hands with Valravn.  I detested Gatekeeper, but it seems like I'm in the minority compared to everyday patrons.  

Will we see Intamin return?  Sure.  All they have to have is a product that the public wants and they'll go back to them.  They seem to have their issues so they aren't much of a go-to, but they do make a heck of a ride.  Never say never.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I'd even argue that they had a winner on their hands with Valravn.......

Me too......outside front row at night is one heck of a thrill.

Remember, I didn't make the statement that they have failed miserable since Banshee. I'm actually in the process of booking an April trip to Carowinds to check out Fury cause I love me some sexy B&M goodness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Uh...Premier can also create shuttle coasters and/or multi-launch coasters that do exactly what they described in the write up.  

Which is why I said it's my opinion. Pays to read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Me too......outside front row at night is one heck of a thrill.
Remember, I didn't make the statement that they have failed miserable since Banshee. I'm actually in the process of booking an April trip to Carowinds to check out Fury cause I love me some sexy B&M goodness.


I agree.....front row really anywhere at night is amazing. Outside just puts the cherry on top.

My first ride on it was front row, outside seat at night when it was close to bare minimum temps. AHHH-MAZING.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, its mid pack coaster at best, I apologize for not being a diver fanboy.  Rougaru sucked as Mantis and isnt too much better as a floorless, Gatekeeper is ok but was PRE Banshee, and as I said I havent ridden Fury.  I enjoy Thunderbird, for whoever mentioned it, but that is not a CF installation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could really see WT being relocated. It itself seems to be a pretty reliable coaster except in the wind, which can play havoc up  on the peninsula. On one of my trips a couple years back almost everything was shut down because of the wind. 

Add that with Decker saying he'd like to have a traditional wooden coaster on the beach, it not a big footprint, but it's a start. 

I could see it. JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Sorry, its mid pack coaster at best, I apologize for not being a diver fanboy.  Rougaru sucked as Mantis and isnt too much better as a floorless, Gatekeeper is ok but was PRE Banshee, and as I said I havent ridden Fury.  I enjoy Thunderbird, for whoever mentioned it, but that is not a CF installation.

I'm sorry but it seems like you're criticizing the Cedar Fair chain as a whole for it's choice in B&M installations yet you praise B&M's from non-CF parks. Everyone has their own opinion on coasters but your's seem extremely bland and lack any explanation. Therefore saying a ride sucks and not saying anything else to back up your claim is an invalid statement.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2017 at 3:07 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I'm sorry but it seems like you're criticizing the Cedar Fair chain as a whole for it's choice in B&M installations yet you praise B&M's from non-CF parks. Everyone has their own opinion on coasters but your's seem extremely bland and lack any explanation. Therefore saying a ride sucks and not saying anything else to back up your claim is an invalid statement.

 

I agree While B&M do not make the most intense rides(which makes people think their rides suck), Most of them are fun which is personally for me the most important quality for a coaster to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2017 at 2:44 PM, freaks76 said:

I could really see WT being relocated. It itself seems to be a pretty reliable coaster except in the wind, which can play havoc up  on the peninsula. On one of my trips a couple years back almost everything was shut down because of the wind. 

Add that with Decker saying he'd like to have a traditional wooden coaster on the beach, it not a big footprint, but it's a start. 

I could see it. JMO

I'm with you 100% They could knock down that stadium thing by WindSeeker and relocate the tilt-a-whirl. That's a pretty wide midway back there. And if Wicked Twister is relocated, you now have room for a decent sized wood coaster on the beach. It's definitely possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Xdog42 said:

I agree While B&M do not make the most intense rides(which makes people think their rides suck), Most of them are fun which is personally for me the most important quality for a coaster to have.

I'm all for intense rides but B&M is that one company where people can grow old and still enjoy their coasters. On average, when I go to the park anyway, I see more older guests on rides like Banshee and Diamondback as opposed to say Vortex and Invertigo. Younger enthusiasts might like head banging and graying out but as people get older they don't like it as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jason was just trolling....I highly doubt Cedar Point is going to get 2 coasters next year, with RMC already there. I mean it's a possibility but a very slim one. 

Why would Jason be teasing for another Cedar Fair park? 

However, I do believe Intamin is coming back and putting a ride at California's Great America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...