Is Intamin coming back to Cedar Fair?

SonofBaconator

Well what if Wicked Twister is "Going to California"?  Would make sense that a guy at CP would know, tweet, tease about that ride going to Cali.

In all likelyhood, its just something to get people talking, speculating like CP likes to do.

As Kenban has said, it is Intamin's 50th Anniversary..... Cedar Point does have several Intamin rides and what Jason tweeted about does look like a gift...more than likely it's a "Thank You for your business" as they continue working with them for ride parts/maintenance things. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

yes premier does launch but the problem is that fof is 21 years old and steel but yet its rougher than The Beast.  fof isnt even enjoyable anymore because it is so rough.  the whole point of steel is that its smooth.  raptor at cp is 23 and its still kst as smooth tiday as it was when it opened in 1994.  intamins seem to stay smooth as well.  

• 2 months later...

Mack does look great but overall intamin > Mack. Give them 10 years and I could see them being comparable to the Intamin of today, but give Intamin 10 years and we might have 4 new roller coaster types. I'm not trying to bash Mack I'm just saying that intamin seems to have more forceful and fun rides and launches. A Mack multilaunch or hyper would be awesome at any park but an intamin blitz would be even better imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

One big reason why Intamin is frowned upon is a statement they made after an accident on one of their rides (I believe it was a statement in response to the ejection on Man of Steel at Darien Lake) saying that deaths are an acceptable part of the overall safety experience (I can't find the article since I think its well expired), and while a good PR crew on a coaster designing firm would say zero, Intamin didn't, which is a big no-no in the amusement park industry where safety is paramount.  

This is on Intamin more than CF.  I have heard that for each new ride CF has built from B&M, Intamin did indeed send proposals but were turned down.  That's not on CF.  That's on Intamin for slacking off on their standards and not matching up to the impeccable safety standards of your B&M's and Macks.  Even SIX is steering clear of Intamin.  Just look at CF's track record with Intamin-

KBF- cable snap on Xcellerator and death due to bad restraints on Perilous Plunge

CP- cable snap on MF, TTD's downtime issues, Maverick's original roll having to be re-designed (not a cheap process), a support re-design on Wicked Twister, and a under-designed log flume which detached from the anti-roll backs and capsized (how do you screw up a log flume?!)

KD- an extensive redesign of I-305's first turn, had to have trims down the entire first drop during a large portion of it's first season, also massive opening delays for Volcano

CGA- boy falling to death on Drop Zone

KI and KD- under designed restraints on Flight Commander (KD had a similar ride)

And this is just within CF.  Problems with Intamin extend outside CF as well, and I now ask- what would incentivize parks to go with Intamin with that kind of record and detriment to the ROI?  B&M's have none of that, even with prototypes.  Recently, Intamin has just been building the same flawed rides overseas with zero effort to show they've changed away from technology that has shown to be prone to problems.   They may push the envelope, but at what cost to the park?  You gotta draw the line somewhere and most parks have now with Intamin (at least here in the States at least). 

• Like 4

It could also be Mack. Mack has been around way longer than Intiman and are way more reliable. I believe most American parks stay away from Mack because they are a lot more expensive than Intiman. I've seen a lot of reviews on Taron the Intiman Blitz. People say it's a good fun ride but nowhere near as forceful as Maverick. Now the review of Helix at Leisburg is a Mack multi launch, their version of the Blitz. The reviews are the exact opposite. A fun forceful ride. Now take this with a grain of salt. I watched the reviews on YouTube but they were well known enthusiasts channels.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, silver2005 said:

One big reason why Intamin is frowned upon is a statement they made after an accident on one of their rides (I believe it was a statement in response to the ejection on Man of Steel at Darien Lake) saying that deaths are an acceptable part of the overall safety experience (I can't find the article since I think its well expired), and while a good PR crew on a coaster designing firm would say zero, Intamin didn't, which is a big no-no in the amusement park industry where safety is paramount.  

This is on Intamin more than CF.  I have heard that for each new ride CF has built from B&M, Intamin did indeed send proposals but were turned down.  That's not on CF.  That's on Intamin for slacking off on their standards and not matching up to the impeccable safety standards of your B&M's and Macks.  Even SIX is steering clear of Intamin.  Just look at CF's track record with Intamin-

KBF- cable snap on Xcellerator and death due to bad restraints on Perilous Plunge

CP- cable snap on MF, TTD's downtime issues, Maverick's original roll having to be re-designed (not a cheap process), a support re-design on Wicked Twister, and a under-designed log flume which detached from the anti-roll backs and capsized (how do you screw up a log flume?!)

KD- an extensive redesign of I-305's first turn, had to have trims down the entire first drop during a large portion of it's first season, also massive opening delays for Volcano

CGA- boy falling to death on Drop Zone

KI and KD- under designed restraints on Flight Commander (KD had a similar ride)

And this is just within CF.  Problems with Intamin extend outside CF as well, and I now ask- what would incentivize parks to go with Intamin with that kind of record and detriment to the ROI?  B&M's have none of that, even with prototypes.  Recently, Intamin has just been building the same flawed rides overseas with zero effort to show they've changed away from technology that has shown to be prone to problems.   They may push the envelope, but at what cost to the park?  You gotta draw the line somewhere and most parks have now with Intamin (at least here in the States at least). 

I hadn't heard about that little Intamin verbal slip up, but wow. "Yeah, some people are going to have to die so that we can find the limits of what we can do with a roller coaster, it's just part of the program" is effectively what they're saying here. That's just insane to me. How do you even consider remaining in business after publicity like that? 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I hadn't heard about that little Intamin verbal slip up, but wow. "Yeah, some people are going to have to die so that we can find the limits of what we can do with a roller coaster, it's just part of the program" is effectively what they're saying here. That's just insane to me. How do you even consider remaining in business after publicity like that? 

Since it hasn't been quoted here, here's an example of that kind of statement from Sandor Kernacs, Intamin's US President, in relation to a fatal accident on Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags New England in 2004:

http://articles.courant.com/2004-05-04/news/0405040040_1_roller-coaster-lap-bars-or-seat-superman-roller

"It's impossible to avoid an accident. Every accident is tragic and we should strive not to have any, but accidents do happen. The question is what is an acceptable number?" he said.

(Just a hint: it's zero.)

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Oh wow. Yeah they need new PR people for sure. 

In that article they do post some statistics, and sure, the statistics look good on paper. Generally speaking, you are safer strapping into a thrill ride than you are walking down the street in your neighborhood. (so long as you're not on an Intamin coaster) I don't think that there will be any point in my life that I write off riding thrill rides, but I do not condone a major ride manufacturer saying accidents will happen, we just don't know how many of them are ok. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 9:18 AM, lifetimecoaster said:

Oh wow. Yeah they need new PR people for sure. 

In that article they do post some statistics, and sure, the statistics look good on paper. Generally speaking, you are safer strapping into a thrill ride than you are walking down the street in fliyour neighborhood. (so long as you're not on an Intamin coaster) I don't think that there will be any point in my life that I write off riding thrill rides, but I do not condone a major ride manufacturer saying accidents will happen, we just don't know how many of them are ok. 

I think the company needs an overhaul of their communication staff entirely. As a communication major myself, sometimes being blatantly honest does more harm that good. Saying that accidents are inevitable is a very poor choice of words to say as a rides manufacturer. Saying that accidents can happen isn't necessarily inaccurate, however its unsettling; especially when said manufacturer has an astounding list of accidents and malfunctions under their belt.

• 1984, The Edge- Six Flags Great America- Injuries
  • 1991, Flight Commander- Kings Island- Death
  • 1999, Ride of Steel- Six Flags Darien Lake- Injury
  • 1999, Drop Zone: Stunt Tower- California's Great America- Death
  • 2001, Perilous Plunge- Knott's Berry Farm- Death
  • 2004, Hydro- Oakwood Leisure Park- Death
  • 2004, Superman: Ride of Steel- Six Flags New England- Death
  • 2004, Top Thrill Dragster- Cedar Point- Injuries
  • 2007, Superman: Tower of Power- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom- Injury
  • 2009, Xcelerator- Knott's Berry Farm- Injuries
  • 2010, Expedition GeForce- Holiday Park- Injuries
  • 2011, Ride of Steel- Six Flags America- Death
  • 2012, La Tour Eiffel- Hopi Hari- Death
  • 2013, Shoot the Rapids- Cedar Point- Injuries
  • 2014, Inferno- Terra Mítica- Death
  • 2017, Splash Canyon- Drayton Manor Theme Park- Death
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think the company needs an overhaul of their communication staff entirely. As a communication major myself, sometimes being blatantly honest does more harm that good. Saying that accidents are inevitable is a very poor choice of words to say as a rides manufacturer. Saying that accidents can happen isn't necessarily inaccurate, however its unsettling; especially when said manufacturer has an astounding list of accidents and malfunctions under their belt.

• 1984, The Edge- Six Flags Great America- Injuries
  • 1991, Flight Commander- Kings Island- Death
  • 1999, Ride of Steel- Six Flags Darien Lake- Injury
  • 1999, Drop Zone: Stunt Tower- California's Great America- Death
  • 2001, Perilous Plunge- Knott's Berry Farm- Death
  • 2004, Hydro- Oakwood Leisure Park- Death
  • 2004, Superman: Ride of Steel- Six Flags New England- Death
  • 2004, Top Thrill Dragster- Cedar Point- Injuries
  • 2007, Superman: Tower of Power- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom- Injury
  • 2009, Xcelerator- Knott's Berry Farm- Injuries
  • 2010, Expedition GeForce- Holiday Park- Injuries
  • 2011, Ride of Steel- Six Flags America- Death
  • 2012, La Tour Eiffel- Hopi Hari- Death
  • 2013, Shoot the Rapids- Cedar Point- Injuries
  • 2014, Inferno- Terra Mítica- Death
  • 2017, Splash Canyon- Drayton Manor Theme Park- Death

You forgot the Roaring Rapids accident in 1999 at Six Flags Over Texas that caused a death and multiple injuries. I remember reading somewhere that there were also injuries caused in the '80's by a malfunction at Kings Dominion's WWC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, JudeHoward said:

I think with Time Traveler and Copperhead Mack has a bigger chance of making a splash in the US than Intamin. I think Intamin is in decline as far as American parks are concerned.

I think once the HP coaster opens, that may change. 

• Like 1