The Vortex Poll

SonofBaconator

Vortex Removal Poll  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

What year did the lift hill chain break? That could be a factor due to the downtime.

I think (95% sure) that was 2011, which the chart doesn't even show. Vortex was supposed to be ERT that year, along with then-new WindSeeker, but I don't remember that combo actually running that year at all together since WindSeeker had a delayed opening and then Vortex's chain broke, so Beast & Diamondback were the ERT rides instead (as had been the case the 2 previous years- 2009 & 2010). Vortex was down around a full month or so, and its ridership dropped quite a bit because of that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sythe said:

Well Corkscrew is different. It opened at a more well known park with the closest looping roller coaster hours away. It's so iconic especially because it goes over the midway. Vortex isn't very iconic or anything. It has a bigger likelihood to be torn down sooner than Corkscrew.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I was only commenting on its age and condition. Corkscrew is a good decade older and still running. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

If it means anything, the ridership on a lot the coasters has gone down if you look at the picture above. Maybe a fresh coat of paint might attract riders back! 

The GP always complains about headbanging, if S&S or Vekoma could somehow make it work, that'd for sure do it I think.. But I don't think that's going to happen :P
Hopefully CF doesn't ever decide to slap on VR.. I'd rather tear it down and get something else

• Like 2

9 hours ago, McSalsa said:

I think (95% sure) that was 2011, which the chart doesn't even show. Vortex was supposed to be ERT that year, along with then-new WindSeeker, but I don't remember that combo actually running that year at all together since WindSeeker had a delayed opening and then Vortex's chain broke, so Beast & Diamondback were the ERT rides instead (as had been the case the 2 previous years- 2009 & 2010). Vortex was down around a full month or so, and its ridership dropped quite a bit because of that.

You are absolutely right. It was definitely 2011. I remember that summer rather vividly, much to my chagrin. And I don't say that because of Vortex being down, but that certainly didn't help things.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, chugh43 said:

What year did the lift hill chain break? That could be a factor due to the downtime.

Vortex's lift chain broke on July 2, 2011, and it reopened by/on July 30 if I remember correctly. And yes, ridership was below 1 million that season because of that.

Edit: Why didn't I refresh the page? :P Either way, question answered.

• Like 2

Vortex was my first "big" Roller Coaster I ever rode and really holds a special spot in my heart, and I really would only want to see it go if it was replaced by something bigger and better. (Though, they probably only would tear it down for a big project!)

• Like 1

@PKIVortex, you literally took the words right out of my mouth. I've been watching numerous Vortex videos, including my own, over the course of these past few days (especially after the day I heard it running on KI's Snapchat story!) and chances are that will continue up until Preview Night. I am still in a bit of disbelief that it's only 13 days until Preview Night!!

• Like 2

I rode it once around 10 years ago and it was my first upside down roller coaster. Personally, I was so scared that it made not enjoyable, and I remember the corkscrews made me really dizzy. I've been too chicken to do a coaster that goes upside down since. This year, my goal is to try another one... but because of my lousy time on Vortex-- I wouldn't be sad if it went. The past few KI trips-- I've thought it sounded bad and the paint was hideous. 

• Like 1

The ride still looks a lot better than it did before it received its last major painting (for the 2002 season).  At the start of the 2001 season, the dark blue supports on the verticle loops looked like light gray because the blue had faded so much.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 2:25 PM, harveyhaddixfan said:

Back seat, shoulder pushed up into the restraint, lean into the curves. That's the ONLY way to ride if you don't want to get beat up.

I'm too short to push my shoulder into the restraint. Hence why I hate Vortex.

Contrary to popular belief, I ride relaxed and with my head slightly forward. The "relax" bit was advice from my brother when I went with him in 2008 and I rode next to him on The Beast, fun fact. It has benefited me greatly, and I hope other riders are benefited too! As for the "head slightly forward" part, it is extremely helpful as well, especially if you relax. I clearly remember a few rides on Vortex where my head was jostled from side to side but it did not hit the restraint (when it would have otherwise) as I was leaning slightly forward enough for my head to be just in front of the restraint.

The only time I ever remember pushing my shoulders into the restraint is whenever I'm in a corkscrew. ;)

@harveyhaddixfan, I'm sorry, but I politely disagree with you. :)

-BFF, who knows Vortex like the back of her hand, after 317 rides and counting. She's also virtually immune to headbanging. :P

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Vortex is an amazing ride. I went to KI once as a kid but couldn't ride much and Vortex was something that was almost a life's goal to ride. When I was finally able to ride it was everything I thought it would be and more. 

The banging around doesn't bother me. (I'm lucky) 

It would be nice to have different restraints. Mostly because I want to put my hands up like I can on Diamondback. I feel like a T-rex with the over the shoulder restrains. Keep the ride or give it to me and I'll put it in my back yard. 

• Like 5