The Vortex Poll

SonofBaconator

Vortex Removal Poll  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wait long enough and it will just sink into the ground. No need to tear it up.... Just kidding. 

Keep riding it if you want it to stay. I love that I never have to wait long and honestly I would rather go ride Vortex a couple of times instead of wait to ride Diamondback once. Beast and Racer can be rough but those arent going anywhere. 

I do think Vortex will eventually have to be torn down but it will most likely be from some obscure part that KI won't be able to get or something like that. Even with short lines ridership is still high. 

• Like 1

So, if the Screamscape rumors are true, we could see a return of antique cars to KI. Just to reiterate, Cedar Point has two car rides, which seems like overkill to me. They could move one to KI and free up some space. Albeit probably not a ton of space, but maybe space that could be combined with area from somewhere nearby for a new attraction. Something we will have to keep an eye on. It was also stated that the area by BL:SC could be a possible destination.

I  hope they return. Growing up that was one of my favorite rides.  CP could remove the one in FT ship it to KI and they have more room in their efforts to expand the FT part of the park. Hearing people toss around a stagecoach ride for FT at CP.

41 minutes ago, abrunerboy said:

I honestly don't think we have to worry about Vortex leaving until Anaconda leaves Kings Dominion.

Vortex is the most well received Arrow looper out of the whole Cedar Fair chain if not the industry. Not to offend anyone but Anaconda's design doesn't hold up in comparison to Vortex. Vortex was a true and successful first of its kind ride so I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

To Comment more on Vortex the only thing I can say that really stands out about it is its Layout, I just came back from a vacation to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and I went to Dollywood and rode Tennessee Tornado, Which was Surprisingly my Second Favorite ride there. It was smooth, fun, enjoyable and surprisingly intense. But it felt so short, and imo the layout was meh, But The Vortex layout is so good and unique, from my knowledge there isn't any Arrow coaster like it, TT is just 2 loops and a Sidewinder compared to The Vortex double loop and double corkscrew and batwing. Sometimes I really wished The Vortex just had no head banging so it could be more enjoyable. So even though I'm not the biggest fan of this ride, I will miss it when it goes away one day because to say the least, it's a beautiful ride. Also, I have a question about The Vortex logo, what is it? what type of creature is it (Diamondback is a snake, Beast is a Beast {lol} etc,) I always wonder what is the creature of the arm holding the track or if there is any backstory about it like MT. @VortexBFForever do you know anything about it?Related image

• Like 3

As much as I've always been afraid to ride this ride (I've been coming to KI since 2008, I assume, considering SOB was still running and Firehawk had opened recently), I've been having a lot of second thoughts about it. Vortex is one of those rides which I think everyone needs to ride once, and despite its age and roughness, I'm probably bound to get over my fear of riding it at some point (ever since I started going to KI I've been afraid of going upside down. Before, I could go on Sea World Orlando's Kracken with no problems at all) and see what it's like. In my opinion, it has enough popularity to keep it running, as long as it's possible to find parts for non-expensive prices.

23 minutes ago, VortexBFForever said:

^I second that. I've seen Vortex's spare parts inventory and it is well stocked of basically any train or track part. There's no way it could lack any spare parts anytime soon!

Not to mention, I think Vekoma could also supply parts.

Speaking of Vekoma....

If Kings Island wanted to, could they go get Vekoma to get their Vest Restraint trains and put them on Vortex? Just wondering.

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2017 at 3:17 PM, Arrow said:

Not to mention, I think Vekoma could also supply parts.

Speaking of Vekoma....

If Kings Island wanted to, could they go get Vekoma to get their Vest Restraint trains and put them on Vortex? Just wondering.

Possibly, but that would require a lot of testing during the off-season and there's no guarantee that would work at all, especially given the age of Vortex.

• Like 1

I would want Vortex to keep its restraints as I wouldn't want too much of those lateral forces whipping my head around, especially the Ron Toomer transitions littered through the 2nd hill, the pre-brake run turn, and corkscrews.   I'd rather get head banged then get whiplash along my neck.  

Also, adding Vekoma restraints might mess with the height restrictions.  Having a looper that's only 48" is a rarity now-a-days, which is why I want a Mack in its place when it bites the dust. 

• Like 1

Am I the only who thinks this ride will get replaced by a B&M floorless? I would prefer a Mack over a B&M, But from what I see, CF likes building Coaster with companies they have done projects with, It took them a while to start associating with RMC and I would also think they would go to Intamin before they reached out to Mack. Heck, it sounds stupid but I think they would talk to RMC about building a ground up coaster where Vortex is before they go to Mack. But still, I don't think its time to start speculating fully on Vortex removal, I'm positive Vortex will be here for the next 5-8.

• Like 1

Still absolutely love this ride. The first ride in my memory that I rode with inversions. I think it's safe to say that 40 percent of my love for it is nostalgic. The other 60 percent is that fact that I actually enjoy riding this ride. Last time I was there I jumped in a front seat ride while the wife and kids went to scrambler, then went back after a wind seeker ride to ride 3 laps through in a random seat. It is just such a classic and iconic coaster. I will ride it at least 1 time every time I'm in the park, until the fateful day comes... 

• Like 4

After riding Rougaru at Cedar Point this year, Vortex feels like a modern B&M. :\ I did give it a lot of hate, but if I check myself on how other steel coasters are aging and their roughness it's great. I think we are just a bit spoiled with how smooth everything is at KI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On February 17, 2017 at 11:09 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that there's been a big amount of members saying how they want Vortex gone in the next few years. I personally don't agree and I say it'll stay around for years to come. However, I'd like to see what our members actually think about our Arrow looper. 

I am not starting a rumor, I just want to get peoples' opinion. 

This opinion is very interesting as Kings Island seemed to almost tease the removal of Vortex before the season even kicked off. They took a photograph of the rides sign being dismantled, raising red flags and many eyebrows. However, it came to be the rides sign was being refurbished for its 30th anniversary. Take it how you want but it seems they teased it. On a final note, for hypothetical reasoning if Vortex was to be removed what would he put in it's spot?... A terrain, compact, twister RMC next to The Beast would be very very unique.

On August 17, 2017 at 3:16 PM, lifetimecoaster said:

Still absolutely love this ride. The first ride in my memory that I rode with inversions. I think it's safe to say that 40 percent of my love for it is nostalgic. The other 60 percent is that fact that I actually enjoy riding this ride. Last time I was there I jumped in a front seat ride while the wife and kids went to scrambler, then went back after a wind seeker ride to ride 3 laps through in a random seat. It is just such a classic and iconic coaster. I will ride it at least 1 time every time I'm in the park, until the fateful day comes... 

You just have to know how to ride Votex. Keep that head forward!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hmrapp said:

This opinion is very interesting as Kings Island seemed to almost tease the removal of Vortex before the season even kicked off. They took a photograph of the rides sign being dismantled, raising red flags and many eyebrows. However, it came to be the rides sign was being refurbished for its 30th anniversary. Take it how you want but it seems they teased it. On a final note, for hypothetical reasoning if Vortex was to be removed what would he put in it's spot?... A terrain, compact, twister RMC next to The Beast would be very very unique.

6 hours ago, Hmrapp said:

You just have to know how to ride Votex. Keep that head forward!!

You can quote two posts without having to make multiple posts