The Vortex Poll

SonofBaconator

Vortex Removal Poll  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that there's been a big amount of members saying how they want Vortex gone in the next few years. I personally don't agree and I say it'll stay around for years to come. However, I'd like to see what our members actually think about our Arrow looper. 

I am not starting a rumor, I just want to get peoples' opinion. 

• Like 8

On one hand, it's a highly visible ride with good capacity. It's almost iconic within the park. On the other hand, it's not the smoothest ride out there, and the section of the park it's in could use some revitalization. We've already seen Shockwave and GASM get scrapped, and rumor has it SFMM's Viper may be on the chopping block. Large Arrow loopers just don't age well. If they can make better use of the land, well, I won't stand in the way of progress.

• Like 11

One of the best first drops in the park. Visualy awesome. I still think the arrow trains look awesome. I would hate to see it go. I also think B&M has made such smooth coasters, it has made rougher ones built by hand using paper and pencil seem more rough that really has not changed that much. Not putting down anyone who does not like it. I just think smoother coasters make it seem worse. 

• Like 14

From the first time I rode it in 1989 (and it drove my earring posts into my head) until a couple seasons ago, I was very much in the "tear it down!" camp. When I was still a young teen it always made me so angry to hear people play it up as the one to ride to show how brave you were. Beast was so much better!

Then I had a friend (NoChickens) who I often ran into at the park around Vortex, and he wanted to ride it. I had heard about 5-1 previously, and rode that but wasn't impressed. NoChickens introduced me to 7-1, and I realized I could ride with very few punches to the jaw. As I learned to avoid the restraint in the spots it still hit me, I also learned to really appreciate the ride. I even ride it alone most visits now. 

I've been told that steel coasters have a lifespan, and have accepted that eventually Vortex will have to go regardless. But I'm hoping it is awhile before that happens. 

There is something beautiful about that turn before the first drop, when the entire park comes into view. I particularly love to ride at sunset for that reason. And that first drop is among the best moments in the park!

• Like 13

Honestly, The Vortex is probably my least favorite coaster. For a metal, it's rough as sin, and I end up punching myself in the face when I hold the grips by my head. Between how bad it hurts my neck and back, and how great the newer coasters are (Diamondback and Banshee), I'd say this old friend has started to stay past his welcome. 

Disclaimer: I only want this ride torn down if they get a new coaster to replace it, no sense in tearing something down that many people enjoy unless there's something better on the way! 

• Like 8

I'm Neutral with everything. Vortex is a good ride but If it goes away I won't be mad. KI should keep it as long as possible but once it does get removed I will be ok with it. Though I would want it to get replaced by a good ride in honor of Vortex

• Like 3

While the ride is not as smooth as it used to be, I would only want to see it torn down if something else great went in its place.  It has always done a good job of moving capacity and while it is not as popular as it used to be, it only makes sense to tear it down if it is cost-prohibitive to keep it up and running.  It still has a great first drop and (when painted) is one of the most beautiful rides in the park.  

The funny part about Vortex getting replaced has been a rumor since the late 90's when I first found amusement park discussion boards.  One of these days it will happen but I think it still has several years left in it.  The great thing about KI is the amount of space the park has gives it the benefit to keep rides like Vortex open when smaller, space limited parks might have to make a decision to tear down a less popular ride.

• Like 2

I really like Vortex (I'd rank it as my #5 favorite at the park) and usually ride it at least once per trip- it's also my go-to ride for when the park is crowded since it is never more than a 25 minute wait even on busy days. If it were up to me 100%, Vortex would be around for years and years to come.

Alas, I alone do not decide the fate of a roller coaster, and Vortex is slowly losing popularity with more and more claims of insane roughness. If the coaster ends up needing a major, expensive repair (IE metal fatigue starts to kick in or something and a entire section of track needs replaced) I don't know if the ride is still popular enough to justify it. The park may also decide that area in the back of Coney Mall could be a great spot for a future attraction which would be a bigger draw than Vortex, and thus end Vortex's run.

Though I will also add this: Vortex has had a incredible run already, thrilling millions of guests over the past 30 years. Should Kings Island replace Vortex, the new ride will have very big shoes to fill. I'd also make a serious effort to be there on Vortex's last day, to try and get some final rides in (and would probably buy a on-ride photo from my final ride).

• Like 4

Visually, I think this ride has the best presentation of all of them in the park.  The open placement, all of the loops and layout, even the color scheme makes it look great.  It is definitely a surprise ride as well.  Watching it run and then riding it, you are taken by surprise as you think you know what is going to happen.

That being said, I ride it a couple of times a year in the hopes that it gets smoother.  Does it knock me around, yes.  Do I know more when this is going to happen to lessen it, yes.  Have a found the sweet spot on the ride yet, no.  Will I stop riding it, no.

My avatar picture is my family on The Vortex.  It was one of the first times I took my son on a coaster and he has this "Bring it look", so it is always special to me in that regards.

Unless something terrible happens to it, I would like to think that if they get rid of it, something else will be right behind it to fill in the spot.

• Like 5

Id like it to stay. I agree it has the best presentation with it's flying loops and flying corkscrews in front of a canvas of the lift hill. The near-by batwing that made me thinlk it went underground when I was a little kid.
I also agree the 5-1 suggestion isnt special. 7th car is where it's at. Makes the first drop 8x better.. and you dont bang around as much.. though it still helps to know the ride's transitions.

I wish it to stay.. i just know if and when it gets replaced, I want something just as thrilling, just as great of a drop, just as pretty to loom at asthetically wise with the shapes and placements of its elements... basically be just as great as Vortex, but be smoother and hopefully have a longer life because of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For Q#1, I answered with the second option. In my mind, Vortex is one of those great Kings Island classic coasters (see also Bat, Flight of Fear, Beast Adventure Express and Blue Racer) and it's pretty iconic to the park. However, my experiences have varied. I've had awesome rides (particularly those in the back or those summer night rides through the fog) as well as some rough ones that make me dizzy (and see stars in the double loops). All in all, I ride it every once in a while and it's a good ride. I think I'd miss it if (when?) it left (leaves) as I (or anyone) might take Vortex for granted and then it's gone one day. And I must confess, another KI Arrow great has stolen my heart even more (sorry @homestar92, to me, Vortex is not bae! :P). 

For Q#2, I answered with the second option as well due to the varied ride experiences detailed above.

• Like 5

Visually stunning, and as many already said, it is a go to when the park is too busy. 

My biggest annoyance is I seem to almost black out for a second after the 2nd loop.  And my kids say the same thing.  That's uncomfortable.  I can handle it being a little rough but the blackout feeling is not fun. 

Plus, the park has tons of free space.  No need to remove it unless it becomes a maintenance hassle. 

• Like 2

Had to read through the whole thread just to make sure we didn't need to break out The Vortex song! :P

The "smiling face" of Vortex has become such an inseparable part of the Kings Island landscape, removing it would have the same effect, at least for me, of removing the Eiffel Tower. To the novice eye, it has a timeless look to it. Perennial need-of-paint-job aside, the ride never seems to look 'dated.' I enjoyed it many times last season, mostly because I've learned when to "brace." To another 30 years!

• Like 6

I've never hated Vortex. It holds a (somewhat) special place in my heart. It wasn't my first inverting coaster, but it's what got me to love going upside-down to begin with. I remember when I was 9, my friend kept dragging me to go on it but I wouldn't, but I finally gave in and did it. It wasn't anything to write home about. However, two years later, a different friend this time convinced me to give it another go and I went for it, and fell in love. I think I rode almost every single coaster with inversions in the park that day. Good thing this happened then, because just two months later I took my first trip to CP. I am very glad I didn't go to CP for not-inverting roller coasters only, that would've really sucked.

My only tip for riding Vortex is to keep your head against the right side of the OTSR during the final helix. There's a spot in the helix where your head shakes back and forth, and I know your head gets thrown to the left first. I also know that being 5'6"-5-10" will most likely kill your ears. Luckily I was taller than that by the time I was 12 and started riding Vortex regularly.

• Like 3

I like Vortex enough, but if KI was going to take it down and replace it with something better then I wouldn't mind too much. It would be sad to see it go though. Hopefully Firehawk goes first but I doubt it since it's fairly new and generates a lot of locker income.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2