The Mystery of the Oktoberfest Bridge

KIghostguy

Hi folks! This is something that I've been wondering about for a while. If you look back through old photos of Kings Island, you'll notice a bridge that spans across the pond in Oktoberfest.

This bridge isn't in any photos of the pond in the 1970's. It also isn't on my 1983 souvenir map, which otherwise has all the paths and bridges on it. The earliest photo I've seen that the bridge is in is dated 1987. I used to think it was removed because of the Black Sunday incidents. (Timothy Binning and William Haithcoat fell into the pond from the bridge.) But it looks like just the bottom of it is in this 1992 video at 3:58-4:00:

I think it's also in the 20th Anniversary Special as well, but right now I'm way too lazy to look back through the whole thing.

The earliest photo I've seen without the bridge is from 1998.

Does anybody know when the bridge was added, when it was removed, and why it was removed?

• Like 5

I don't think it was actually a "bridge." I think what you're seeing in this video was once the back porch area of Oktoberfest Gardens (when it was an actual biergarten theme) and it eventually became the back porch of Bubba Gump's "even less than stellar than the normal less than stellar chain restaurant" Shrimp Shack. There used to be remote controlled boats for a time I believe as well as the little vending machines where you could buy fish food. When it became Bubba Gumps, there was a turned over fishing boat placed over an old concrete pier. That pier used to be a support for the sky ride. 

Edit: strike all of that above, there was a bridge! S/O to DBInternational for showing that below. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

I don't think it was actually a "bridge." I think what you're seeing in this video was once the back porch area of Oktoberfest Gardens (when it was an actual biergarten theme) and it eventually became the back porch of Bubba Gump's "even less than stellar than the normal less than stellar chain restaurant" Shrimp Shack. There used to be remote controlled boats for a time I believe as well as the little vending machines where you could buy fish food. When it became Bubba Gumps, there was a turned over fishing boat placed over an old concrete pier. That pier used to be a support for the sky ride. 

Thanks, but I'm not talking about the deck. I'm talking about the actual bridge that spanned from the main pathway across the pond to the Bier Garten. It was in place from 198?-199?

• Like 1

The above photo was taken at least in 1984 (King Cobra is there), but prior to 1991, as Adventure Express is not there and the Flying Dutchman is still there. It is also after 1986 as you can just make out the edge of Skylab on the right, which was an addition in 1986.  So 1986-1990 is the time frame you are looking at.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

The above photo was taken at least in 1984 (King Cobra is there), but prior to 1991, as Adventure Express is not there and the Flying Dutchman is still there. It is also after 1986 as you can just make out the edge of Skylab on the right, which was an addition in 1986.  So 1986-1990 is the time frame you are looking at.

I think that that might be the 1987 picture I was talking about. I can't find the thread it was posted in, but it looked almost identical.

• Like 2

Based on a collection of old park maps I found online, it appears that the bridge was added between the 1985 and 1986 seasons and removed between the 1994 and 1995 seasons.

However, that is based on park maps and not actual pictures of the park, so take that with a grain of salt.

1985 (Image Credit matthunterross on flickr):

7369615202_19fa357208_z.jpg

1986 (Image Credit matthunterross on flickr):

7184380697_b0806cd592_z.jpg

and

1994 (Image Credit KitchenSlayer on flickr):

12377850003_c2ba7108df_z.jpg

1995 (Image Credit KitchenSlayer on flickr):

7184383083_3bc3861b8b_z.jpg

• Like 8

Just now, DBInternational said:

Based on a collection of old park maps I found online, it appears that the bridge was added between the 1985 and 1986 seasons and removed between the 1994 and 1995 seasons.

However, that is based on park maps and not actual pictures of the park, so take that with a grain of salt.

1985:

7369615202_19fa357208_z.jpg

1986:

7184380697_b0806cd592_z.jpg

and

1994:

12377850003_c2ba7108df_z.jpg

1995:

7184383083_3bc3861b8b_z.jpg

Thanks! Very interesting. Now, the question is: why was it removed?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Not Shaggy, but I believe I've heard that the Oktoberfest bridge was removed due to the fact it wasn't compliant with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations. Looking at DBInternational's post, the bridge over Swan Lake in Rivertown appears to have been removed at the same time.

Interesting. I wonder why. It doesn't look like it had any stairs leading up to the bridge--maybe it was too narrow for wheelchairs/electric scooters?

I remember the bridge over Swan Lake quite well.  Once you crossed the bridge, the grade was pretty steep to get up in Rivertown proper.  After it was removed, you could still make out where it used to be based on the grading.  The bridge is approximately where the queue for Diamondback ducks under the track by the station.

• Like 2

I'm probably not of any help to solve this mystery (as I don't remember the bridge), but....

I love seeing those old maps from the mid-90's (and late 90's/early 2000's as well...) and I'm also curious about the Swan Lake bridge. Anyone on here have any pics?

• Like 1

^That Swan Lake bridge was definitely gone before 2007.

There was also another bridge that ran between the basketball hoops and icee stand in Rivertown before Diamondback came about. I only remember it being for employees, but it ran over a creek and then behind wings. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

^That Swan Lake bridge was definitely gone before 2007.

There was also another bridge that ran between the basketball hoops and icee stand in Rivertown before Diamondback came about. I only remember it being for employees, but it ran over a creek and then behind wings. 

Wasn't there a old pinic area there?  I remeber eating those potato fries back there with my family many times when I was a youngster.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Talk about a bump...but I believe the bridge was added in 1983. From the 4/15/1983 Cincinnati Post: "F.R. Bush, vice president and general manager of the park, said the Oktoberfest area...is being renovated this year...it will include such new additions as wooden bridges over the lake between the Festhaus and German Biergarten."

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The patio was behind wings/reds hall of fame grill. I don't think the oktoberfest bridge is in the original video either, I think that's just the patio for the biergarten. 

Bridge probably won't show up on many maps because it was just a path TO the biergartens and not really a path to an area. It's hard to say why/when it was removed, but probably relating to an ADA issue or just upkeep. (ADA was passed in 1990, Paramount purchased the parks 1992 and dumped some money into them from the beginning) Or even to direct flow to the front of the building instead of having people getting lost trying to find the entrance. 

From a lot of the pictures I think it actually really hurt the view of the pond. It looks much better without it.

There was a bridge in Rivertown that went down the hill approximately where the entrance to Diamondback is currently located. To the right of the entrance was an arcade. It was a relatively wooded area near the lake. It seems like it was removed just before the last incarnation of the Paramount Winterfest and the Christmas Tree show display floated in that location after the event.