Will Coney Mall be Overhauled?

SonofBaconator

44 minutes ago, medford said:

If you've never owned a Gingko tree, they can be a pain.  1st, if you have the wrong gender tree, and based upon some old pictures it appears that they did, they can quite literally stink up the place if not well maintained ever handful of years (the berries smell like dog poop if you let them sit around, literally). 

Other than that, they are great trees.

When my non-coaster enthusiast friend visited KI with me in October 2015, she was asking me about KI trivia.  So when we were in the area formerly known as Coney Mall, I pointed out the circle of ginko trees (it's a smoking area).  I explained that they had transplanted the pruned trees from Coney Island and these were the only surviving ginko trees.  She picked up a fruit, smelled it and commented on the smell.  I told her that the fruit tastes wonderful and is a Chinese delicacy.  I stopped her just before she took a bite.  Was quite funny.  Of course, that was a phone ago, so I don't have her picture, but I searched her Facebook photos and found this one.

ginkos.jpg

• Like 3

I think a Sky Fly or a Sky Roller would b a great addition for X-Base actually with the flight theme.

Think Flight Commanders pad would be great for an Enterprise. Imagine it'd look amazing with a nice LED package. Would like to see a Top Scan somewhere as well for a modern high thrill flat too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shadow9542 said:

I would say to put a Flying Eagles where Flight Commander was, but they put one in Planet Snoopy so that really takes that out of consideration. I would very much like one of Gerstlauer's Sky Rollers, it's something very unique for the park and would fit the area very well!

YES! those sky rollers look insane and it would be a nice nod to Flight commander. Maybe 2018 since Canadas wonderland got one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mystic.Timber1 said:

YES! those sky rollers look insane and it would be a nice nod to Flight commander. Maybe 2018 since Canadas wonderland got one.

I really want a Sky Roller as much as the next guy but I don't think it would be wise to put it in the same location where a rider was killed. 

• Like 2

I really want a Sky Roller as much as the next guy but I don't think it would be wise to put it in the same location where a rider was killed. 

True, but they did have a picnic grove, a bubble pool, and trampolines. So I don't think they have a problem putting attractions there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Flight commander operated the rest of the season after the accident. Other things as shadow9542 mentioned have been there. I don't think it is fair to say Kings Island can't ever use the space ever again because of it.

I would love to see a tilt-a-whirl in that location.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Flight commander operated the rest of the season after the accident. Other things as shadow9542 mentioned have been there. I don't think it is fair to say Kings Island can't ever use the space ever again because of it.

I would love to see a tilt-a-whirl in that location.

What I meant to say was a Flight Commander type ride, like Sky Hawk, in the same location as the old Flight Commander ride wouldn't seem right. Maybe it does, I don't know. I do think that space should be utilized for another ride though.

• Like 2

It would appear that they have 3 spots in coney that could easily support new attractions w/o major work or other "guest" building being disrupted.  First, is the old Flight Commander pad, the Que is still in place IIRC making that an easy choice.  The next place is the old Days of Thunder building.  I know this is being used for storage, and has been used for a haunt in the past.  I remember reading about the plants vs Zombie attraction that went into another CF park (can't recall where) but that building is a natural fit for a similar type attraction at KI.  IIRC, the plan was to spread those out to all the parks at some point.  Finally, just to the left of the old flight commander pad, behind the arcade, is a spot currently occupied by a temporary type shelter structure.  I'm not sure what is stored back there, but its on of those white plastic covers over metal pole, semi-circular tents.  Obviously you'd have to find a place to store whatever is in there, but considering the nature of that structure, I can't imagine its highly important things that need weather tight protection.  I think that would be an ideal spot for a Ferris Wheel install.  It would sit behind the arcade, the loading station would be mostly naked to the public,  and sit in front of The Racer.  Its roughly in the middle of Coney, and with the right lighting package, would make for a good compliment to Wind Seeker once the sun starts to set.

Not sure what to recommend in the Flight Commander area (flats are mostly not my thing, since most spin a bunch), but add somethind solid there, a reasonably tall Ferris Wheel with a killer light package, a similar Plants vs Zombie attraction back in the theater, refresh The Racer as well as general sprucing up of the area and I think you'd enhance the feel of Coney a ton.  WindSeeker and the new light package on SR&R make it the most visually appealing area of the park when the sun goes down, I'd vote to enhance that with my recommendations.

• Like 4

I saw something somewhere (sorry my memory for details surrounding trivia is crap) that the Ginko trees lived their normal lifespans, and died at some point after they were transferred. Different trees live different lengths of time, and time was just up for these guys I guess. 
I think it would be cool if they planted new ones, but at the same time, very few people going to KI remember the originals (I sure don't and I'm 40), and the topiary cylinders weren't very shady from what I can see. 

I'm 42 and still remember them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If we are going modern flats, I'd like to see an S&S Screamin' swing, only problem with that are of course being Skyhawk and all the issues they have with that... so that puts that one out along with my dream Intamin Terra coaster (Taron).

• Like 3

I agree that an S&S Screamin' Swing would look fantastic in the former Flight Commander spot, not to mention that they are, in my opinion, the most fun of any flat ride I have ever ridden. Has the smaller "swing" at Dollywood had any of the same issues as Skyhawk?

• Like 1

I do not know about Dollywood's but it is not just Cedar Point which has had problems with an S&S Screamin Swing.  Both Knott's and Dorney had Screamin Swings, they have both been removed and to my knowledge scrapped.  Since Cedar Fair has already removed two I would be very surprised to see them purchasing more.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 3:40 PM, KatieF said:

I don't think it should be overhauled, but it has needed some TLC. In the documentary I watched last night, they talked about ginko trees being planted in that section. Are they still there and just aren't trimmed? Even something small like that could be a little nod to nostalgia.

The trees in the circle area with the planter in the  middle near KillMart are some of the original ginkgo trees collected and planted. They no longer have the column shapes. The rest either died or were removed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Kings Dominion's Rebel Yell had it's first drop retracked by The Gravity Group. Perhaps they might do some similar rehab work on The Racer. Maybe some new paint and some new chaser lights.

I think Blue side needs some track work for sure. Red is much smoother I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Kings Dominion's Rebel Yell had it's first drop retracked by The Gravity Group. Perhaps they might do some similar rehab work on The Racer. Maybe some new paint and some new chaser lights.

Or how about a projected light package like the Eiffel Tower? The colors agains the white paint of the rails would look really cool.

• Like 2

Went on the red side on The Racer today in the back row, and it was really rough. Felt like my shoulder blade wanted to disconnected (I've never felt that bad). A nice retracking by GCI or someone would be nice. (Maybe a new paint job, maybe the original colors.)

...Coming from a guy who's avatar is The Racer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Back row is usually the bumpiest. I usually sit in the first or second row. Would the park be willing to work with GCI again for a Racer retrack, even though they just built Mystic Timbers?

I knew that going into it, but it was way worse than usual. The car felt like it was being slammed after every hill (besides the first two hills).

I think with the good reviews Mystic has had with smoothness, it may make the decision of picking them easier.  Cedar Fair has used them before.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, upstop said:

I would have loved to see Coney Mall overhauled into a seaside boardwalk with simulated decking, seagull sounds and rolling cart vendors along with traditional boardwalk rides... this would look nice on the old Flight Commander pad...

Wouldn't be the same without the bombing runs.   Maybe CP can send down some real ones.  I bet they stick around if we keep feeding them French fries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Wouldn't be the same without the bombing runs.   Maybe CP can send down some real ones.  I bet they stick around if we keep feeding them French fries.

you haven't lived until your $15 Churro gets attacked by a team of aggressive seagulls walking through Frontierland at (Disney) Magic Kingdom.

• Like 1

I feel like this year, Red has been fairly evenly rough and bouncy, overall more rough than the other side. However, Blue has one specific spot (second to last dip before the turnaround) that is so rough that I felt like it was going to break my back a couple times, even though I was riding in a non-wheel seat. 

New restaurant or whatever else is happening behind that fence, it looks like at least part of Coney is going to be getting some love, and I for one hope Racer is included. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, JubJester said:

Went on the red side on The Racer today in the back row, and it was really rough. Felt like my shoulder blade wanted to disconnected (I've never felt that bad). A nice retracking by GCI or someone would be nice. (Maybe a new paint job, maybe the original colors.)

...Coming from a guy who's avatar is The Racer.

I feel like part of that is the PTC trains. I've shared my preference on Millennium Flyers and Timberliners over PTC trains on this thread before. I don't like how narrow and crammed I feel in a PTC train. The divider in the middle of the seats hurts at times and I feel like I'm trying to fit in a moving box. I love The Racer as a nostalgic ride, but I avoid riding it if I can. Retracking the ride would be a good start, but new trains would make the experience more comfortable. 

• Like 5

After riding Mystic Timbers this season and seeing what Millennium Flyer Trains feel like, especially with the airtime, I began wondering what The Racer would be like with that type of train. It's often discussed on here whether The Beast should receive Millennium Flyers, but putting some on The Racer could possibly restore some of the airtime lost when the buzz bars were replaced.

• Like 3