Will Coney Mall be Overhauled?

SonofBaconator

On 4/4/2017 at 10:53 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Flight commander operated the rest of the season after the accident. Other things as shadow9542 mentioned have been there. I don't think it is fair to say Kings Island can't ever use the space ever again because of it.

Responding a little late, but Flight Commander did not operate the rest of the season after the accident. It remained closed until the 1992 season, when it reopened with several modifications, including the addition of seat-dividers.

• Like 4

Millennium Flyer trains could possibly transform The Racer's ride experience. The Millennium Flyer trains are "the ONLY trains that can negotiate the highly twisted track configurations of a GCI roller coaster" (GCI). The only problem that GCI could run into with installing Millennium Flyer trains is Racer's track configuration compared to other GCI's. I don't know if the width of The Racer's track is compatible with the width of Mystic's track, however, I'm sure GCI could create custom width trains for The Racer somewhat similar to what B&M did with Banshee due to the wider vest restraints. I could just imagine popping over those airtime hills and feeling the clock rewind 40+ years. 

Image result for millennium flyer trains

Information regarding the compatibility of the trains

millennium flyer trains.PNG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

Responding a little late, but Flight Commander did not operate the rest of the season after the accident. It remained closed until the 1992 season, when it reopened with several modifications, including the addition of seat-dividers.

My apologizes if I was wrong. I can not longer find where I referenced my information. 

• Like 4

On 10/22/2017 at 7:45 PM, JubJester said:

Went on the red side on The Racer today in the back row, and it was really rough. Felt like my shoulder blade wanted to disconnected (I've never felt that bad). A nice retracking by GCI or someone would be nice. (Maybe a new paint job, maybe the original colors.)

...Coming from a guy who's avatar is The Racer.

I was on it about 3 weekends ago during Haunt and the Red side brake on the turnaround failed to engage. Made for a very fast and smooth ride. Let's just say we made it back to the brake run and the blue train was just coming out turn around. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

I was on it about 3 weekends ago during Haunt and the Red side brake on the turnaround failed to engage. Made for a very fast and smooth ride. Let's just say we made it back to the brake run and the blue train was just coming out turn around. 

Ahh, now I see why the Red train always seems to "win"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They have not had the trims on, sometimes in the fall when they have been on we almost came to a complete stop.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

We were on it when it did that. It was the best ride we ever had on it. As we left they shut down the ride though so we figured something had not gone as expected. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2017 at 6:57 PM, Hmrapp said:

Millennium Flyer trains could possibly transform The Racer's ride experience. The Millennium Flyer trains are "the ONLY trains that can negotiate the highly twisted track configurations of a GCI roller coaster" (GCI). The only problem that GCI could run into with installing Millennium Flyer trains is Racer's track configuration compared to other GCI's. I don't know if the width of The Racer's track is compatible with the width of Mystic's track, however, I'm sure GCI could create custom width trains for The Racer somewhat similar to what B&M did with Banshee due to the wider vest restraints. I could just imagine popping over those airtime hills and feeling the clock rewind 40+ years. 

Lets not forget GCI overhauled GhostRider back in 2015 and replaced the old PTC trains with new Millennium Flyer trains. 

knotts-ghostrider-millennium-flyer-train_20151104.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Lets not forget GCI overhauled GhostRider back in 2015 and replaced the old PTC trains with new Millennium Flyer trains. 

knotts-ghostrider-millennium-flyer-train_20151104.jpg

The Knotts Ghostrider rehab was why I suggested that The Racer get Millennium Flyers. The problem is whether or not Racer would lose its ACE Landmark status with new trains.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

Why would that be a problem?  Just curious

The Racer was the coaster that sparked public interest in roller coasters after a major drought in coaster construction, kick starting the second golden age of coasters. Many coasters wouldn'tbe around today if it weren't for The Racer. If The Racer were to receive Millennium Flyer Trains, would that hinder with its historic significance without the original Philadelphia Toboggan stock? After all, as someone mentioned, it could create a new ride experience. It probably wouldn't, however I'm not a member of ACE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

The Racer was the coaster that sparked public interest in roller coasters after a major drought in coaster construction, kick starting the second golden age of coasters. Many coasters wouldn'tbe around today if it weren't for The Racer. If The Racer were to receive Millennium Flyer Trains, would that hinder with its historic significance without the original Philadelphia Toboggan stock? After all, as someone mentioned, it could create a new ride experience. It probably wouldn't, however I'm not a member of ACE.

I realize that, but what would it matter if it lost status with ACE?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

I realize that, but what would it matter if it lost status with ACE?

Right, why would it? The Racer received the ACE landmark in 2007 and while it was still a forward/backward coaster. A year later both sides began to run forward again and yet the coaster still maintains its ACE status. Its the coaster, not the trains.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Right, why would it? The Racer received the ACE landmark in 2007 and while it was still a forward/backward coaster. A year later both sides began to run forward again and yet the coaster still maintains its ACE status. Its the coaster, not the trains.

The way it seems, a retracking (regardless of whether it's RMC, GCI, or someone else) is what would end that status. I can't see new trains becoming a problem unless it modified the experience in a major way that a retracking could do.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, starlitfire said:

The way it seems, a retracking (regardless of whether it's RMC, GCI, or someone else) is what would end that status. I can't see new trains becoming a problem unless it modified the experience in a major way that a retracking could do.

I could understand it losing the status if it got RMC'd, but a GCI retrack is basically just new wood, as well as Gravity Group retracking Rebel Yell last off season, unless they changed the layout and hills dramatically. I only asked because the coaster opened with PTC trains, which help give the ride the classic experience it has. I'll go with what SonofBaconator said above.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

I could understand it losing the status if it got RMC'd, but a GCI retrack is basically just new wood, as well as Gravity Group retracking Rebel Yell last off season, unless they changed the layout and hills dramatically. I only asked because the coaster opened with PTC trains, which help give the ride the classic experience it has. I'll go with what SonofBaconator said above.

If I recall correctly, Racer did get a change in layout. I believe both sides lost a hill to accommodate the path to Flight if Fear. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

If I recall correctly, Racer did get a change in layout. I believe both sides lost a hill to accommodate the path to Flight if Fear. 

This is true. It was the final dip before the brake run. If I also remember correctly, the main reason the hill was removed was to install a new brake.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 0:48 AM, BlondyRidesOn said:

The problem is whether or not Racer would lose its ACE Landmark status with new trains.

ACE Landmark status is a designation of historical importance and is permanent. It can't be lost by making changes to the ride. You may be confusing ACE Landmark status with ACE Coaster Classic status, which can be rescinded based on changes to the ride (as happened to Woodstock Express at KI and Blue Streak at CP).

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

ACE Landmark status is a designation of historical importance and is permanent. It can't be lost by making changes to the ride. You may be confusing ACE Landmark status with ACE Coaster Classic status, which can be rescinded based on changes to the ride (as happened to Woodstock Express at KI and Blue Streak at CP).

Then might I suggest 

Racer Concept.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

Part of me figured that was the case. I knew the ACE Classic status can be revoked if the trains are modified, like the two coasters mentioned, but I wasn't sure if changing the trains on the ride would disqualify the rides landmark status. But regarding changes to the ride not having an impact, is there a point when it does, such as an I-box conversion from Rocky Mountain Construction?

Edit: Changed some wording 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Part of me figured that was the case. I knew the ACE Classic status can be revoked if the trains are modified, like the two coasters mentioned, but I wasn't sure if changing the trains on the ride would disqualify the rides landmark status. But regarding changes to the ride not having an impact, is there a point when it does, such as an I-box conversion from Rocky Mountain Construction?

Edit: Changed some wording 

I-box would turn the coaster into a hybrid. Topper track is used for wooden coasters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

So even if it got I-boxed and received inversions, such as stalls and barrel rolls, and got renamed, it wouldn't lose its landmark status?

That would be a question for ACE's upper management. I could see a case being made for removing the plaque if a ride was modified to such an extent that it became an entirely new coaster, as is often the case with RMCs, but I don't know exactly how that would be handled. I can't see them totally revoking the award, but more likely (assuming they choose to do so) removing the plaque from the ride entrance and updating the list on the ACE website to just list the original ride as defunct, without transferring it to the new version of the ride.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

So even if it got I-boxed and received inversions, such as stalls and barrel rolls, and got renamed, it wouldn't lose its landmark status?

It could lose ACE status, but more importantly it would lose its status as a wooden coaster which in turn would take away KI's record for "the most wooden track at one park". 

• Like 2