Will Coney Mall be Overhauled?

SonofBaconator

On 12/3/2017 at 10:38 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Then might I suggest 

Racer Concept.png

This is a very good looking concept for new Racer trains. I can't help but notice the similarities between the Millennium Flyer Trains and the original trains on Carowinds' Thunder Road, which were originally from Jetstream at Chicago's Riverview Park.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 0:08 PM, SonofBaconator said:

It could lose ACE status, but more importantly it would lose its status as a wooden coaster which in turn would take away KI's record for "the most wooden track at one park". 

Considering that KI just got this back with the addition Mystic Timbers, I think they'll want to keep it for a while.

• Like 3

There is a lot of “dead space” (no pun intended but perhaps recommended... I’d like to see a dark ride) between Killmart and SR&R. I’d expect to see some improvements and additions there before anywhere else in Coney Mall (present season 2018 not included... see construction on the west end).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, upstop said:

There is a lot of “dead space” (no pun intended but perhaps recommended... I’d like to see a dark ride) between Killmart and SR&R. I’d expect to see some improvements and additions there before anywhere else in Coney Mall (present season 2018 not included... see construction on the west end).

I completely agree.  From Zephyr to the bathrooms the only thing that is open 90% of the year is the Coke refill location on that side.  A flat or two would be great.

• Like 3

I'd definitely like to see some fresh paint on The Racers! I also agree with some other comments about lighting on some of the rides as well as carnival-style overhead lighting. This area of the park can get very dark at night (as well as other areas but I digress). For the area under construction, I would really like to see a new, large sit down restaurant...maybe it would help dilute the long lines at everything on that side of the park on busier days...Although I would also like to see a dark ride here as well. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An idea for adding a second Coney midway and expanding X-Base (since X-Base is considered a subsection of CM and not its own area).Untitled-1.png

I was careful to leave room for maintenance and wary of the changes in elevation in the area, since the top part of the antique cars border lies on what is basically a 5ft cliff that the maintenance road creates.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, mayaman2 said:

An idea for adding a second Coney midway and expanding X-Base (since X-Base is considered a subsection of CM and not its own area).Untitled-1.png

I was careful to leave room for maintenance and wary of the changes in elevation in the area, since the top part of the antique cars border lies on what is basically a 5ft cliff that the maintenance road creates.

That's a creative idea. I haven't seen anyone suggest making that area a Coney expansion. I've thought that Xbase could use that space to become it's own area. Though, I'm a sucker for classic Americana.

What did you use to make that little map?

• Like 4

I have thought that the area you shaded as an expansion would make sense for a family friendly flat ride and restrooms.  It would give those that are too short something to do when other people in the party are riding Firehawk and Flight of Fear, which both have 54" height requirements.  I don`t know if they would build a full midway like that though.  Especially since the X-Base is already a dead end midway.  Action Zone is a dead end, and until they reconfigured the entrance when Banshee opened, there was often a logjam of guests trying to get into the area.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LoadAndGo said:

Photoshop and a little graphical knowledge.

3 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

I have thought that the area you shaded as an expansion would make sense for a family friendly flat ride and restrooms.  It would give those that are too short something to do when other people in the party are riding Firehawk and Flight of Fear, which both have 54" height requirements.  I don`t know if they would build a full midway like that though.  Especially since the X-Base is already a dead end midway.  Action Zone is a dead end, and until they reconfigured the entrance when Banshee opened, there was often a logjam of guests trying to get into the area.

To open it up a little, you could always knock out the old FOF photo and just have FOF exit straight out to the midway rather than the overhang like it is now.

• Like 1

Backwards Racer was one of my favorite rides, we would ride that all the time when I was a kid. I think the reasoning for going front facing was a pretty bad reason and there had to of been more to it than that which we'll probably never know (those who don't know do talk, those who do know don't talk or something like that). 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Does anyone not want the backward racer? I'd give that a whirl again haha.

I miss this, as well. Also, I hope they never change the ride's soundtrack. In a way, it's theming. You walk up, and you're in the 70s. I love it! 

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:29 AM, LoadAndGo said:

That's a creative idea. I haven't seen anyone suggest making that area a Coney expansion. I've thought that Xbase could use that space to become it's own area. Though, I'm a sucker for classic Americana.

My suggestion is to extend the pathway down to the Adventure Express area so that it connects with Oktoberfest.  Add retail and restrooms.  That would make it not a dead end area.  But then again, I don't know the topography back there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jtro223 said:

My suggestion is to extend the pathway down to the Adventure Express area so that it connects with Oktoberfest.  Add retail and restrooms.  That would make it not a dead end area.  But then again, I don't know the topography back there.

I agree with this. Just take out the ladder game right there, work the path around back behind Racer and connect it to X-base, add some rides and make a new theme like "county fair" like Carowinds did, or add onto X-base or Coney mall. Only reason why I don't see this happening though is because of Racer and its location of its storage track. But i could be proven wrong.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jtro223 said:

The terrain beyond where my image ends is very hilly -  I've never walked it, but I've driven it several times. I hear Dollywood has some hilly terrain in its guest areas though, so making the area more Oktoberfest themed and a transition into X-Base/Coney Mall would be nice. The biggest obstacle is that the maintenance road right there is the quickest way into Action Zone for vehicles, the only other road goes deep into undeveloped KI territory behind Firehawk/FOF and comes out under Banshee... which takes forever, especially if there were some emergency situation in Action Zone. So not only would KI have to do all the work needed for developing the area to Oktoberfest for guest use, but it may have to do a lot of work creating new roads in its backstage.

10 hours ago, Drummermattk said:

Only reason why I don't see this happening though is because of Racer and its location of its storage track. But i could be proven wrong.

Racer does not have a storage shed for its trains, it leaves them on the track every night. Its PLC (Programmable Logic Computer, it's the brain of the ride) is under the station. Nothing maintenance related about it is stored in the ride's area, because the Woodshop (which handles wooden coaster maintenance) are the red buildings visible from X-Base.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

A lot of the Coney Mall buildings and stands are pretty outdated and ugly. I am hoping that they do more than just add the antique cars this year.  A racer overhaul and some more renovated facades (Think Coney-BBQ) would be an awesome project for 2019.  Candy Apple Grove looks amazing over at KD so I hope KI follows their lead.

• Like 2