PASS HOLDER NIGHT

whovillemom

Have not been to KI in a very long time.  (like 30 yrs)  Were driving 5 hours for pass holder night and going back to Michigan the next day. I am  hopeful of short lines.  I want to hit the coasters, not so interested in smaller rides other than the dark ride.  Any tips for me? I know CP like the back of my hand but at KI, I am in unfamiliar grounds. I have a lot to cover in 6 hours!  Thank you in advance

• Like 1

Welcome to KIC!

If you would like to hit all the coasters (except maybe the new one), this would be my plan of attack: 

When the gates open, head back to Flight of Fear and Firehawk. Those have bad capacity and/or slow loading so lines tend to get long as time goes on. After that, swing to the back of the park and hit Backlot Stunt Coaster (same issue with capacity). Then continue around and hit Beast and then Diamondback. 

Head to the front of the park again, and ride Banshee and Bat. I would skip Invertigo, but if you really want to ride it, it's nearby. Then continue back to Adventure Express, then Racer. Follow it with Vortex (ride toward the back of the train, row 13 is ideal). 

If you want the four kiddie coasters (Woodstock Express, Flying Ace Aerial Chase, Great Pumpkin-you'll need a child to ride with, and Surf Dog), come back to the front of the park to Planet Snoopy and collect them. If you meant Boo Blasters on Boo Hill as "the dark ride" it is also here, but I think you would be disappointed. It's not very exciting, or in good shape.

Since Kings Island has a policy of letting anyone in line before closing time ride, now would be the time to get in line for Mystic Timbers. It will likely be quite a wait. I think it will be worth it. 

Kings Island is pretty easy to get around in, it is basically a big circle with spokes leading back toward the Eiffel Tower in the center. 

• Like 3

Do we know yet if the entire park and all rides will be open? According to the blurb they've only specified a few things, and being a "preview night" it might not be everything. Also, welcome to KIC.

From the site:

Ride into the unknown on the new Mystic Timbers roller coaster. Enjoy your first rides of the season on favorites like Banshee, The Beast and Diamondback. And don’t forget about all there is to do in the 16-time award-winning Planet Snoopy kids’ area.

• Like 2

Last year I do not remember any rides being closed.  The food stands were short staffed and had long lines but the rides were all operating.  

I am more worried about the fact that the park schedule lists the park as closed for a private event.  Pure speculation but I suspect that the park has been bought out during the day so it might not just be pass holders in the park.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kenban said:

Last year I do not remember any rides being closed.  The food stands were short staffed and had long lines but the rides were all operating.  

I am more worried about the fact that the park schedule lists the park as closed for a private event.  Pure speculation but I suspect that the park has been bought out during the day so it might not just be pass holders in the park.

Highly doubtful.  Especially on a Friday.

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

No, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I think the private event IS the pass holder preview. I doubt Kings Island would let anyone buy the park out for a day before it officially opens to the public.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Highly doubtful.  Especially on a Friday.

Not doubtful, last year preview day at CP had Ohio State Alumni there in the morning and they ALL stayed until closing.  Extremely crowded. 

9 minutes ago, freaks76 said:

New members asking advice about getting around the park. Be a good thread. 

Agreed ;)

Last year was my first visit in over 20 years and after winging it for 2 days - this opening weekend I think I will do a little more planning.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Welcome to KIC!

If you would like to hit all the coasters (except maybe the new one), this would be my plan of attack: 

When the gates open, head back to Flight of Fear and Firehawk. Those have bad capacity and/or slow loading so lines tend to get long as time goes on. After that, swing to the back of the park and hit Backlot Stunt Coaster (same issue with capacity). Then continue around and hit Beast and then Diamondback. 

Head to the front of the park again, and ride Banshee and Bat. I would skip Invertigo, but if you really want to ride it, it's nearby. Then continue back to Adventure Express, then Racer. Follow it with Vortex (ride toward the back of the train, row 13 is ideal). 

If you want the four kiddie coasters (Woodstock Express, Flying Ace Aerial Chase, Great Pumpkin-you'll need a child to ride with, and Surf Dog), come back to the front of the park to Planet Snoopy and collect them. If you meant Boo Blasters on Boo Hill as "the dark ride" it is also here, but I think you would be disappointed. It's not very exciting, or in good shape.

Since Kings Island has a policy of letting anyone in line before closing time ride, now would be the time to get in line for Mystic Timbers. It will likely be quite a wait. I think it will be worth it. 

Kings Island is pretty easy to get around in, it is basically a big circle with spokes leading back toward the Eiffel Tower in the center. 

That's exactly what I am looking for thank you so much!  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Keep in mind that the pass holder preview day this year is on Good Friday.  Some schools, including my local school district are closed that day (they are actually closed all week that week for spring break).

That is very true.... Maybe I will consider going another time when I don't have to squeeze it all in in 6 hours and HOPE it's not busy...  either way the advice I have is very helpful. :)

• Like 1

Last year the crowds weren't bad except at the food stands. It was also only for those who renewed in the fall. I don't know if the same restriction applies this year. Expect opening day to be extremely crowded, especially with a new coaster opening this year.

• Like 2

Our boys are out of school that Friday, so I'm taking the day off work.  Our plan is to get down early, get to Mystic Timbers first thing, and then take it easy on the rest of the rides for the remainder of the evening.  Friday nights in April / May are one of our favorite times of the year to go.  41 days!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

I'm excited for this years pass holder preview. So excited I can't wait so I'm using my Cedar Fair Platinum Pass to attend Carowinds passholder preview night in 3 weeks. Never done it before, but I have been to the park. Other than Fury Carowinds has nothing on Kings Island!!!

• Like 1