If Cedar Fair got another park

On 11/8/2018 at 9:53 AM, CoastersRZ said:

I agree that they would make good Cedar Fair parks.  I would rather they be Cedar Fair parks than Six Flags parks.

Six Flags currently operates 15 parks where as Cedar Fair currently operates 12. In all honesty, I think Cedar Fair would be more than capable of operating an additional 6 parks if need be. There's also a possibility that Six Flags might only be interested in purchasing a few parks. 

• 3 months later...

Well, they purchased Castaway Bay before it was Castaway Bay.  And it is immediately adjacent to their property.  If they bought Kalahari, they would probably buy the entire chain (including the one in the Wisconsin Dells, the one in Pocono, PA, and the one that is coming soon in Round Rock Texas).  Other than the one in Sandusky, there is not a lot of overlap with their current markets, and it could provide another source of year round revenue.

I personally do not see them making a move with Kalahari, but it is interesting to ponder.

12 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I could see them maybe trying to add a park in an area they are not currently in. Maybe Texas or somewhere south and west. Why can't they just do a ground up park?

Ground up theme parks are expensive to build and are probably a riskier investment compared to an already developed park that has known income & attendance figures.

• Like 1

I would not say that they neglect certain parks, they just do not put large capital projects in all of their parks.  Some of the smaller parks like MiA do not need to receive large capital projects to see a return on the investment.  Yes, they would likely benefit from having a park in Texas, but I do not see any in that market that they would be interested in purchasing.

7 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Yeah I just feel really bad for the people with their home parks of MiA and VF. 

MiA locals use their park for the water park mainly....haven't really heard of them complaining that they haven't got a big coaster in a while. 

VF does get some investment....including a new section Route 79 and Delirious this past year. 

22 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

MiA locals use their park for the water park mainly....haven't really heard of them complaining that they haven't got a big coaster in a while. 

VF does get some investment....including a new section Route 79 and Delirious this past year. 

Well that's good. Going over things I am not sure there is a park CF would be interested in buying then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, Maverick44 said:

Yeah this is true. I am just thinking of them getting a park somewhere in Texas for some reason.  I actually wouldn't want CF to get another park. They neglect some of their parks they already have. MiA!

I’m with you on Texas. Houston Texas is they 4th largest city in America & they have no major amusement park since AstroWorld was closed. If there is only City that could support a new ground up park, I believe Houston is the answer.

• Like 2

Supposedly there is a park being built in Houston, called Grand Texas.  I say supposedly because they have announced work on the theme park will start after the water park is open and operating and at this point they are something like a year behind schedule on the water park.  Originally the water park should have opened in spring 2018, then summer, and now it is spring 2019, and as far as I know no opening date is set.  But the water park looks like it just needs landscaping to open.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this is a stretch but I would actually be happy if Six Flags Great America was part of the Cedar Fair chain. Its the sister park of CGA so it would seem fitting. Imagine if Kings Dominion was owned by a different chain than Kings Island.

I know this will likely never happen as Six Flags Great America is one of their "B" list parks but it would still be cool to see both Great Americas under Cedar Fair's control. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I know this is a stretch but I would actually be happy if Six Flags Great America was part of the Cedar Fair chain. Its the sister park of CGA so it would seem fitting. Imagine if Kings Dominion was owned by a different chain than Kings Island.

I know this will likely never happen as Six Flags Great America is one of their "B" list parks but it would still be cool to see both Great Americas under Cedar Fair's control. 

It’d give them a decent foothold if the Midwest market. Anyone know why Six Flags didn’t but CGA? 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2019 at 6:44 PM, Benjamin22 said:

Anyone know why Six Flags didn’t but CGA? 

I believe it was a city thing because CGA went through a ton of legal issues when Marriot tried to sell off their parks. I believe a company wanted to purchase their land for real estate which the city didn't want. I'm sure the California park was seen as baggage yo Six Flags where as the Chicago-Milwaukee park was more appealing

SFGAM is a gem of a park. Although not a single top 5 coaster in the park it had a a large solid collection. It would help alot with plat pass holders in the midwest. But there are things I prefer in each chain. It never would have of received Goliath, Joker, Superman or Maxx Force as a Cedar Fair park. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 2:07 PM, grsupercity said:

SFGAM is a gem of a park. Although not a single top 5 coaster in the park it had a a large solid collection. It would help alot with plat pass holders in the midwest. But there are things I prefer in each chain. It never would have of received Goliath, Joker, Superman or Maxx Force as a Cedar Fair park. 

Six Flags still practices what Paramount used to- clone your rides to save $$$; not that other chains haven't done this. 

If SFGA was a CF park they would load them up with B&Ms, a GCI, and a Mack. It makes me wonder where SFGA would rank in the famed Cedar Fair "tier" ranking. Would it be priority over KI? Would Carowinds, KI, or Canada's Wonderland get put on the back burner?

21 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

It makes me wonder where SFGA would rank in the famed Cedar Fair "tier" ranking. Would it be priority over KI? Would Carowinds, KI, or Canada's Wonderland get put on the back burner?

I am not sure how SFGAm would rank against other Cedar Fair parks.  In this article from May 27th, 2009, it says Six Flags Great America was the most profitable park in the chain and this was before the schedule was extended with Holiday in the Park.

https://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=296367

The financial roller coaster that Six Flags is riding will have no impact on how the Gurnee theme park is run, CEO Mark Shapiro said Tuesday. The New York-based company, struggling financially because of a $2.5 billion debt load taken on by previous owners' expansion sprees, says the customer will notice only improvements at all of its 20 parks. Shapiro pointed to a new water ride, longer season, a cyber coffee cafe and additional concerts among the additions at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, the most profitable in the 20-park portfolio.

• 2 years later...