Mystic Timbers Thrill Rating

CocaColaParking

In an interesting note, I noticed today on KI's website that Mystic Timbers is rated as a "4" on the 1-5 thrill scale, which puts it on the same thrill level as rides like WindSeeker, Congo Falls, Dodgem, and WWC. I find this interesting. I don't know that in the long run it really means much, but I do think it signals to the fact that whatever is in the shed will be fairly tame and nothing too crazy. I'm interested to see if that gets changed after they start testing the coaster.

• Like 4

This has been brought up before somewhere on here.  The only GCI coaster I've ridden (to my knowledge) is Renegade at Valleyfair.

https://www.valleyfair.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Renegade

Renegade has a 4 star rating.  If Mysty is as good as Renegade it will be awesome.  I don't know what makes a 4 star rating vs a 5 star, but throw it out the window b/c Renegade was awesome.

• Like 1

In my opinion, it should be a 5. The aggressive airtime and banked s-bends on this ride are enough to give it a 5. I have never seen a GCI with a 5, but I think most of them deserve that intensity rating.

Don't expect aggressive airtime. Have you seen how large the crests of the hills are? Time wise seems similar to racer's first two air hills
  • Like 1

^ Have you ridden a GCI? You're not going to get Voyage-like strong ejector airtime, but you'll definitely be out of your seat more than on Racer. If it's like any of the ones I've been on, it'll have very terse, rapid pops of decently strong floater air. I'd call that aggressive, myself.

• Like 1

^I would say Voyage has some brief "ejector" moments, but nothing like an RMC. More like a "snappier" GCI airtime moment.

As for Mystic Timbers, most small to medium wooden coasters at Cedar Fair parks are given a 4 rating. Blue Streak has a 4 rating, for example, despite having a lot of airtime (and besides size and speed, arguably may have been more intense than its big brother in Frontiertown that had a 5 rating.) On the other hand, some larger kiddie/family coasters get a 4 rating too, like Woodstock Express at CP.

Not all ratings make total sense too. Drop Tower is a 4 IIRC, despite the fact that Drop Towers are extremely scary to many.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, freaks76 said:

I don't understand the 4 rating on DT. 

Scariest thing in the park. 

When I read your comment (and similar comments), I was thinking, Meteor (at Dorney) better be a 5! as it freaked me out the first time I rode as I didn't expect to be flung upside down backwards!

More on topic, both Demon Drop and Dominator at Dorney are 5's, but oddly enough, DT at KD is a 4 (as are Carowinds, Great America's, and Canada's Wonderland versions)

• Like 1

^I would say Voyage has some brief "ejector" moments, but nothing like an RMC. More like a "snappier" GCI airtime moment.

As for Mystic Timbers, most small to medium wooden coasters at Cedar Fair parks are given a 4 rating. Blue Streak has a 4 rating, for example, despite having a lot of airtime (and besides size and speed, arguably may have been more intense than its big brother in Frontiertown that had a 5 rating.) On the other hand, some larger kiddie/family coasters get a 4 rating too, like Woodstock Express at CP.

Not all ratings make total sense too. Drop Tower is a 4 IIRC, despite the fact that Drop Towers are extremely scary to many.

Yeah I could see that. Just depends where you draw the line at floater, strong airtime, and ejector.. ejector for me either fatigues my legs, looking at Lightning Rod, or makes me go "whoa" even if I expect it ... i.e. Maverick

Floater is a weak airtime, voyage is strong (medium), but ejector makes me feel like I have more than 1x my body weight pulling me out of my seat

• Like 1