Coasting Through The Ohio Region 2017

Drummermattk

Hi guys so before i begin I would like to say this is where I will post any trip reports from parks I have visited this year!

Without a do, I recently went to Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, Ohio for a couple days before heading to Kentucky Kingdom for an event on Saturday (that trip report is still in the editing phase). Anyways one big note-able change from last year is that Starbucks is now....................gone. The gift store is now one big place with one entrance and where the entrance was originally occupied with Starbucks, has now been turned into a Dunkin' Donuts! Slide Reviews:

-Water Coaster: Not as long as the other three I have rode (Deluge, Mammoth and Wildebeest) but fun and enjoyable!
-Family raft slide: Really fun! Did it once with three people and it paced pretty good but with 5 people in one tube................................WOW
-Bowl slide: as always a fun ride and if you have a heavy mass like some people (Myself) do, you get some good spins.

One thing that I do want to point out and you can see it in the picture showing off whats behind the lodge, they have some open space to maybe build another wing onto the waterpark or add a couple slides to the outdoor park. That's just my thought though.

(If you look closely in the one zoomed in picture, you can see Bat trains on the track!)

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

• Like 6

Looks great!

Just a note: it's generally a good idea to post each report in a separate thread rather than one mega-thread if they have lots of photos. Too many photos on one page can cause the page to take a very long time to load, and also can consume massive amounts of data for users viewing on their mobile phones. Posting each report in a new thread ensures that photos from old reports that have expired from the browser cache don't have to be re-downloaded unnecessarily. :)

• Like 1

Had a 2 night stay last year with my then 10 year old son in conjunction with his first trip to KI.  It was convenient and enjoyable.  We walked to the park from the lodge ONCE!  Walking back from the park after several hours in the hot sun was not fun.  We put the platinum passes to good use and decided to park and ride for free for the remainder of the weekend.

I really liked the morning breakfast buffet.  Weird hours for the gift shop (couldn't buy sunscreen before heading over to the park).

Sadly, upon arrival at the lodge, every entrance was adorned with one of the biggest no guns allowed signs I had ever seen (I hate leaving my gun in the car!).  When it was all said and done, I made a phone call, wrote a letter and filled out a survey.  And we won't be back.  Comfort Suites - here we come!

</editorial off>

• Like 3

I'mm Back Guys! On April 5th and 6th, myself and Josh from FYE Coasters made a 5 hour trek to visit Dollywood. Needless to say, I was highly impressed with the whole park. We did manage to score a ride on all the coasters (despite the crappy weather involving rain wind and cold on Thursday), some more than once, and one rare treat in particular. Overall the service was amazing, and I honestly felt at home with everyone being so polite and caring. I would like to point out this was my first time ever being at Dollywood. So here's my reviews of the coasters:

-Lightning Rod: H.O.L.Y C.R.A.P. (Is that poo-poo running down my leg?). I have to say it. Best ride in the park! We rode front for our first ride and back for our second 
ride and I was highly impressed. I never knew that you could experience airtime from a turn! I thought I was highly impressed with Storm Chaser but 
this...............this just blew it out of the water (It's still not my number 1 but it'll take #2 on my wood coaster list). Sadly though, before we where leaving the park 
we decided to try and get a third ride on. Well. We got on, got about 3/4 the way up the "lift" and rolled back :br 10/10
-Blazing Fury: An okay indoor coaster, It was interesting really. 6/10
-Tennessee Tornado: This was Fun! it was definitely different than the other two Arrow Loopers I have rode (Vortex and Corkscrew) and I honestly found it to be really 
smooth. 8/10
-Wild Eagle: I liked this ride mainly because It fits where it sits, and its a great ride! It was a little different than Thunderbird or Gatekeeper, and it was fairly smooth 
but like some (mainly every) B&M it has that rattle. One thing I do hop eis fixed with this is the vest restraints. They really dig into your shoulders going though the 
ride when they start coming down more. 6/10
-Firechaser Express: Wow! This would be a great starting point for little thrill seekers. You get a great launch, a not to tall ride and a ride that doesn't go to fast. It's 
been forever since I went backwards on a roller coaster (since Backwards Racer at Kings Island). 7/10
-Mystery Mine: I've only rode 1 Eurofighter which was Spongebob at Mall of America, and Mystery Mine, just by looking at it, was better than Spongebob. Loved the 
double roll at the end and the hangtime! 7/10
-Thunderhead: Alas I wanted Mystic Timbers to be my first GCI but this was fun! I was hoping for a lot of ejector airtime but was mainly given just a tad floater. Rode 
two times, one in front and one in back. Honestly found it pretty smooth for a woodie. 7/10

-Dollywood Express: I know, I know, this isnt a coaster. If you go to Dollywood, PLEASE! take the time and ride the train. You will not regret it honestly. 10/10/10.

Wanna see some of my pictures? Click here

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Wow.........................its been a while, guess ill get to updating! lol After dollywood, the parks visited are as followed: Mystic Timbers First Rider Event, KI Opening Day, Holiday World, Coasterstock, Cedar Point, Kentucky Kingdom, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kennywood, Cedar Point, Coney Island, Strickers Grove and Michigans Adventure. I won't make this a long post word wise, so I will leave links to the website where you can find my thoughts on the parks, and the Youtube videos from the parks below the links for the websites!

Mystic Timbers First Rider's Event 

Kings Island Opening Day 2017

Holiday World 2017

COASTERSTOCK!

My first time to carowinds and on a roadtrip!

First time at Kings Dominion!

Kennywood!

my apologies for the super long post but now you are up to date on coasting through the ohio region!

• Like 2

In the last Kings Island video in your most recent post, you recorded that Vortex clip (at the 2:05 mark) while I was driving!! I'm the only one who adds "Hooray" after acknowledging a full train. :P:D 

For that reason alone, I watched that single clip about 6 times before continuing with the rest of the video. I'm so psyched!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, VortexBFForever said:

In the last Kings Island video in your most recent post, you recorded that Vortex clip (at the 2:05 mark) while I was driving!! I'm the only one who adds "Hooray" after acknowledging a full train. :P:D 

For that reason alone, I watched that single clip about 6 times before continuing with the rest of the video. I'm so psyched!

I didn't realize that was you!!!!! (s0rry for the late reply I thought i had replied a while back, my apologies

Since my KI visit back in August I have visted a new park, Indiana Beach, on 9/16 and visited Kentucky Kingdom for the Last rides event on 10/1

My thoughts on Indiana Beach:

It is an interesting park. They have a good collection of rides and coasters! Steel Hawg is really fun while Cornball Express is personally the best coaster there. However though, I did not really feel "amused" as i just didnt seem into the park like i hoped i would. I mean i didnt have a bad time at the park, or a bad experience with anything or anyone, I just kind of felt like the park was to much on top of each other. Here are some videos:

Kentucky Kingdom was fun! Sadly though we where informed at lunch that day that Enterprise would be retired following the closing of the park for the season. On a good note though, last rides ERT attendee's where one of the last riders on it!

As of right now, my plan is to be at KI on 10/14 to attend Haunt and during the day before heading to Myrtle Beach and hitting Broadway at the Beach as well as Winterfest at KI in December!

• Like 3