RMC track at KD

32 minutes ago, Sythe said:

Finally an RMC within 2 hours from me! I'm legitimately excited for this after going 7 years without a new coaster.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I would guess there is alot of Dominion fans that are happy. I am happy for them to be getting something. 

Although I'm disappointed I didn't get to ride Hurler in its original form. 

• Like 1

I didn't ride it in its last year of operation (2015), but I did ride it in 2014. I was also at Carowinds last week, and I rode their Hurler.

KD's was objectively worse. There were trims on the straightaway between the first drop and the following turn. Each turn jackhammered like crazy. There was next to no airtime on any of the hills. It really was not enjoyable at all, and this is coming from someone who doesn't mind rough coasters as much if they still offer a fun ride.

Carowinds has done a great job of taking care of their Hurler, and it's a very fun ride. The only thing I dislike is the station--it has to have one of the most unattractive buildings in a park right now.

• Like 5

After riding Carowinds Hurler last week, how did it compare to KD's before closing? 

If you rode Hurler in the front row and knew how to lean into the turns then the one at KD is better because the straight sections were smooth and had airtime (only in the front row though. I think it's because any other row is so rough that you wouldn't even notice the airtime at all) I found that Carowinds Hurler was smooth but had absolutely no airtime whatsoever. So if you don't like defensive riding then the cwnds one is for you, but if you like risking your life for airtime then the KD one was for you.

• Like 2

I rode Hurler at Carowinds one year ago yesterday.  Worst coaster I have ever ridden, even worse than Firehawk.  I had a headache from all the jackhammering.  I don't wish for the demise of coaster, usually, but in the current form, I wouldn't be too unhappy if it were removed for future expansion.

I'm also curious as to why folks would think the new Hurler at KD would be like Storm Chaser?  Twisted Twins was nothing like Hurler, IIRC.

Just ride thunder run at the kingdom. It's fairly similar mirrored and it has had some lovin in recent years, so it rides well.. let alone having a new train this year for it

Btw- i thought we'd've gotten at least one stoke construction update video from the park for MT but unfortunately not

• Like 3

I can't remember exactly where I read it (it was on Twitter), but a KD spokesperson announced at an enthusiast event that The Gravity Group rebuilt the first drop of Rebel Yell.

I'll do some digging later and see if I can find the exact tweet. It had a close-up of the deconstructed first drop. At the time, it looked like they were doing the same magnitude of work that GCI did on Thunder Road.

I was just at KD yesterday and Rebel Yell is SO SMOOTH!!! WOW! A lot of the hills are too slow to provide good airtime but it's still an amazing coaster. And the view from the top is spectacular.

Also I got some construction footage.
It looks like there will be a bunny hill after the first drop.

I would jump for joy if Gravity Group did some retracing work in Racer!

Yes PLEASE! I got so much airtime on Racer when I went compared to Rebel Yell. Gravity Group would do wonders for it, although I hope they repaint it. The retracked part of Rebel Yell is still brown for some reason...

On the topic of Hurler, here's a picture of it from back in the 90's. A lot of people believed that the Old Dominion Line (the train ride) was taken out to accommodate Hurler. This is false. If you look at the bottom right corner you can actually see the train station and a railroad crossing. They actually coexisted for a year before the line was removed to accommodate water works expansion as well as some other rides. Though this was a Paramount decision, it wasn't the company's fault. Unfortunately, train ridership decreased even before Paramount bought the park, so they made the decision to sell the locomotives and scrap the line. The fact that the train wasn't a transport ride made it less appealing to ride for guests. I'd expect that the same fate would have happened to the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad if it wasn't changed to a transport ride in the late 80s. 

hurler.jpg

http://www.geocities.ws/daved1214/paramountskingsdominion.html

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sythe said:

Boi it's 10:51 and still nothing

Night owls have a different definition of night. I consider 10:51 PM to be "evening". "Night", for me, is usually around 2 to 4 AM. :)

• Like 4