How nice are GCI coasters to "larger" coaster fans?

CocaColaParking

I have never had the pleasure of actually riding a GCI coaster in person. What type of restraints do GCI's normally use, and how forgiving is their restraint systems? Im a bigger dude. I've taken the good ole walk of shame on many a ride. Last year at KI I was able to ride Banshee, Firehawk, Delirium, Racer, Bat, and Beast. However, Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Drop Tower were all no go's. I know that every ride is different and that it all depends are how a person is built and where there weight is held etc etc, but in general, are GCI's  fat-friendly?

• Like 2

If you can ride Racer/Beast, you will more than likely be able to ride a GCI. The Lap-bars are a T restraint, non-hydraulic. (At least from what I remember with Thunderhead.) But you should be completely fine. I'm sure they will have a test seat available. 

• Like 3

I agree with CoasterOhio. If you can fit in The Beast, you should be fine with GCI. I was on two this summer in Missouri. They aren't as restrictive/unforgiving as Intamin restraints and the car feels a bit more open than The Beast/Racer. It may just come down to how the lap restraint is postioned and your body proportion. I hope that helps! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coca-ColaParking said:

I have never had the pleasure of actually riding a GCI coaster in person. What type of restraints do GCI's normally use, and how forgiving is their restraint systems? Im a bigger dude. I've taken the good ole walk of shame on many a ride. Last year at KI I was able to ride Banshee, Firehawk, Delirium, Racer, Bat, and Beast. However, Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Drop Tower were all no go's. I know that every ride is different and that it all depends are how a person is built and where there weight is held etc etc, but in general, are GCI's  fat-friendly?

GCI coaster have a clam shell style of restraints much like B&M hypers like Dback. Also they are just as smooth as most steel coasters maybe sometimes even more smooth.

As long as they are not like Lightning Run.  I was not a fan of those.  Either way, I plan on giving it a try.

We have a weight loss game going on at work, I am an leading with about 19 pounds.  I figure if I can get away from the Walk-O-Shames on Drop Tower. I should be good on about everything.  At least, that's my plan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

As long as they are not like Lightning Run.  I was not a fan of those.  Either way, I plan on giving it a try.

We have a weight loss game going on at work, I am an leading with about 19 pounds.  I figure if I can get away from the Walk-O-Shames on Drop Tower. I should be good on about everything.  At least, that's my plan

Im down about 19 pounds too! Keep up the good work, lets hope to see each other on Drop Tower soon.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

Drop Tower at KI is the only thing I have not been able to ride at 5 11 and 260. 

21 minutes ago, jdf21972 said:

So InvadR released their test seats and since this is a GCI coaster built this year , it should be somewhat similar to what Mystic Timbers should look like. I hope this helps.
7ac1b2a8c2d9d00256be5c3e5ee32f28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet. This doesn't look too restrictive at all. Thanks for the info everybody.

19 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

At Kings Island, my personal experience is that Drop Tower does have the tightest restraints.  Beyond Kings Island, the one coaster which I can think of that you might still have a problem is Wicked Twister at Cedar Point.  Those seat belts are just extremely short.  Vertical Velocity at Six Flags Great America which is the same ride and has the same restraints has a couple of extra inches on the seat belts.

38 minutes ago, Kenban said:

At Kings Island, my personal experience is that Drop Tower does have the tightest restraints.  Beyond Kings Island, the one coaster which I can think of that you might still have a problem is Wicked Twister at Cedar Point.  Those seat belts are just extremely short.  Vertical Velocity at Six Flags Great America which is the same ride and has the same restraints has a couple of extra inches on the seat belts.

I completely agree. I love Drop Tower style rides but it seems the rotating gondola at KI has some very restrictive restraints. At 6'2" 260 lbs they are so uncomfortable for me that I can not ride. However the non rotating Drop Tower at KD is not restrictive and is almost comfortable. The difference between Vertical Velocity and Wicked Twister is also very frustrating.

4 hours ago, Kenban said:

I was going to give Wicked Twister a try in 2015, but it was down the whole time we were there.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, Gannersdaddy said:

I figure if I can get away from the Walk-O-Shames on Drop Tower.

I dunno.  I'm 6'2" and 285 and I was able to ride Drop Tower last year, but took a burly operator to get me locked in.  The guy next to me was about the same build and he needed the same assistance.  Neither of us could breathe more than 25% lunch capacity maybe the whole ride.  I was definitely glad to get to ride it, but even more glad to get the restraint released so I could breathe again.  I probably won't be trying that again until I drop some weight!  I really hope I can ride MT this year.  Very excited about it!

For reference, I do fit on the XL seats of Banshee without much trouble, but had walks of shame for FoF and Diamondback this year.  The new belt buckles on Vortex were a bit of a surprise.  I barely get those latched now!

I don't know if this would help or not for some of you wanting to lose some weigh before you got to the park. But whenever I get a month away from going to KI, I stop drinking soda, and junk food. Just drinking water and watching how much sugar is in something and how much I eat of it. I mean I don't really have to do that since I only weigh 106 pounds anyway. I just do it just for fun really, and to give my body a break from all that lol.  So I'm sure if you did that maybe it'll help with fitting in the rides more.

• Like 2

I haven't seen it addressed yet so--- Are there going to be "big boy seats" available on MT?

At 5'6" and around 275 I rode Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom last year in the 1st and 5th rows as well as Maverick at CP in multiple rows. Hopefully MT is as forgiving to my size and shape as those rides.

later,

Mark

On 4/7/2017 at 5:56 PM, Elizabeth19 said:

I don't know if this would help or not for some of you wanting to lose some weigh before you got to the park. But whenever I get a month away from going to KI, I stop drinking soda, and junk food. Just drinking water and watching how much sugar is in something and how much I eat of it. I mean I don't really have to do that since I only weigh 106 pounds anyway. I just do it just for fun really, and to give my body a break from all that lol.  So I'm sure if you did that maybe it'll help with fitting in the rides more.

Thats how i started off and it seems to be working.  The last 2 weeks I have been taking my son out on walks (weather depending) to both aid the weight loss and get ready for the park.  Each time we keep increasing the length.  The last two times, we went over 5 miles with an average speed of 3 miles per hour.

It also helps that my office is having a contest for weight loss.  I have hit my target and am still leading.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No test seat in front, which is disappointing. You have to go through the queue to even try, so walk of shame is mandatory if you don't fit. I'm pretty gravitationally gifted, Diamondback takes a helper to get the second click. Waiting in line for MT now, so hopefully I'll fit. Didn't ride anything last year due to back issues and all I've got to test is Diamondback.

2 hours ago, OhioColtsPapa said:

I fit. Only need one click to ride. I could have probably forced a second if needed. Seats felt wider than Flight of Fear to me.

Great! For the record, at least in past years, on rides without a test seat, you can go up the exit and ask to test-fit a seat between cycles before waiting in line if you're unsure of whether you'll fit. I can't actually recall witnessing anyone doing this in the 6+ years I've been going to KI, but the option does exist.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

Great! For the record, at least in past years, on rides without a test seat, you can go up the exit and ask to test-fit a seat between cycles before waiting in line if you're unsure of whether you'll fit. I can't actually recall witnessing anyone doing this in the 6+ years I've been going to KI, but the option does exist.

I have done this before. Great point. It's a great option

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2017 at 2:17 PM, Coca-ColaParking said:

I visit KI last year for the first time as a bigger guy, can fit on Banshee in the test seat, a friendly ride operator help me in stated row 4 and 5 with the red safety belt. Delirium was no problem, Racer was a painful ride with two clicks of the lap bar, which I made it in. Flight of Fear need a little help to get the safety belt in, but made it barely. Firehawk no problem what so ever, Diamondback which was no problem at all. Again, friendly ride operator got me in the test seat to make the light turn green, sometimes I can get it in. Diamondback is a forgiving ride and so is Banshee because made by B&M. I decided to try the Drop Tower to see will it fit me since they put in the new black shoulder restraint to get the short safety belt to latch. I made it in with a help of a ride operator because due to my boarded shoulders from the harness, was able to ride Drop Tower a lot of times. I was lucky to fit an it than Wicked Twister at Cedar Point which I was very close. Went on The Bat didn't like it, Invertigo which I love, Vortex was not bad, but OK.

• Like 1