The Beast vs Mystic Timbers

Xdog42

I have been asking myself this question for a while, Will Mystic Timbers be better than The Beast? At first I thought that Mystic Timbers would suck, but now it looks amazing. So I thought to myself, Could this beat The Beast for the best wooden coaster at KI? Looking at the stats Beast is superior to it having a taller lift, drop and top speed. But at the same time with all the trim breaks Beast has it could be at times slower and not as well paced. I also started to see Mystic Timbers had the more Intense layout. We all have to admit The Beast has a lot of straight sections, With Mystic Timbers POV it looks like you're always changing direction or getting airtime. Mystic Timbers looks to have a good nighttime ride like The Beast also. So as much as I love The Beast, Mystic Timbers just looks superior, It has everything from a good storyline to a great ride. But again I guess we will all see in 10 days. Anyways what are your guys' opinions?

• Like 3

I think Mystic Timbers is going to blow The Beast away, both during the day and at night.

(I can hear Terpy now warning me about "anticipointment". Didn't have any with Banshee, and I highly doubt I'll have any with MT. Kings Island knows what they're doing. :))

• Like 4

I will have a hard time making a sure decision until getting some rides in, especially sone night comparisons, but The Beast has always been a fantastic ride, and will be hard to beat. Though it would be nice to have the trim breaks lightened up on a bit in some  places, especially the bridge where you are nearly stopped.

• Like 4

I should clarify my previous post by stating that I am not particularly a fan of The Beast. I find it to not really be worth riding during the day, and while I do enjoy it at night, even then it's not a must-ride for me (and there are limits as to how long I will wait). So Mystic Timbers doesn't exactly have to be the greatest coaster ever to blow away The Beast for me. :)

• Like 1

Who do you like better, your Uncle or new baby Nephew? ;-)

In my mind, comparing the two is like comparing a rotary phone to an iPhone7.  

But I do think lines for night rides will be the tell-tale sign of popularity.  But Beast has had competition before - and has always stayed on top.

Choosing a coaster on which to finish out the night may be very tough in the future.

• Like 14

I love The Beast and think it is a great coaster, but I can see how some people can find it dull or underwhelming with all the straight sections in it. I just love how it continually rampus up throughout the course of the ride. The speed keeps increasing after the initial hills until it reaches the second lift so makes it more unique, plus the isolation is awesome, not even corssing back by itself. And the helix finale is awesome. However, I do wish it had a bit more airtime and hills to it at times, so glad we are getting soemthing liek MT to compliment it.

As for which will be better I will have to wait to ride both this summer, but I kind of feel right now liek MT might actually edge otu The Beast as the better woodie. As others stated it looks intense and fast with lots of airtime hills and directions changes of sometype for an out of control feeling. Plus the theming on it is great and the shed coudl be a topper to the ride with a great finale depending on hwo it is.

• Like 6

I think people will be shocked at how awesome Mystic Timbers will be. I definitely think there will be some in park competition but overall I think people will stay loyal to The Beast. The Beast's ride experience can't be matched where MT could easily be comparable to Prowler, Gold Striker, or even Thunderhead. MT's main giveaway is the shed. Without the shed and the extensive theming, nothing really sets it apart from any other GCI coaster. The Beast doesn't need intense theming or a shed to make it great and it never did.

• Like 5

I've put some thought into this, and I think Mystic Timbers has a chance to become the crown jewel of the park. Obviously The Beast will always be the sentimental favorite. Like somebody else said, they are two totally different rides, and they are hard to compare. But that being said, I honestly think MT will blow people out of the water. I was underwhelmed with the announcement of the ride and the initial POV. However, seeing the clips of the test runs and the off ride clips, along with the amazing themeing and such, I think we have a potential all-star on our hands. They have completely made me buy in to the ride. I have had discussions on here and in my personal life where I've said that it seems like KI blasphemy to say this, but with the themeing and the awesome elements, MT will be a better night ride than The Beast.

• Like 4

I believe that Mystic Timbers might just be in contention with The Beast to become the fan favorite of the park. While some people weren't happy that we got MT and not a giga, I was excited because we are finally getting a modern wooden coaster. And after the GP rides it, I feel like they will most definitely warm up to it and realise that it is an amazing ride. It probably won't ever replace The Beast as my personal and sentimental favorite, it will be an amazing ride nonetheless!

• Like 4

The Beast is legendary and to me can not be compared to a modern day wooden coaster. As Shaggy mentioned, we are comparing a land line to a smart phone. I am very anxious to see how the night rides are on MT. I feel Rivertown will be a packed house at night with what I am guessing will be two awesome night ride machines.

• Like 8

As I've stated on a different thread I don't believe in competition between different rides types or parks, I believe in advantages.

Beast Advantages

1. A true terrain coaster
  2. Extremely fast (still in the top 10 for fastest woodies)
  3. Incomparable to other wooden coasters
  4. Extremely long (Longest woodie in the world)

Mystic Timber's Advantages

1. Some of the best theming to be seen on a coaster (let alone on a woodie nonetheless)
  2. Low to the ground twists and turns
  3. An aubundance of airtime 
  4. Fits in snug in a smaller space while interacting with two other rides.
  • Like 11

Beast is a virtually hand-crafted piece of artwork, forged in the pre-AutoCAD days of super-smart design and engineering. It has legendary mystique (no pun intended) that makes it a wow whether it has straightaways, airtime hills, s-curves or not. It is not a cookie-cut design; it's as unique and individual as any one of the other marquee coasters out there. We're fortunate to have it as part of the park we love, and I for one welcome Mystic Timbers to the KI coaster family as an equal among all the others in this regard: it has its own personality - its own story to tell as you experience what it has to offer.

• Like 13

I think Mystic Timbers is going to be an awesome addition. A night ride may even rival The Beast. But, it still seems that The Beast is much more secluded. I would also add that MT is hardly a cookie cutter ride. The shed at the end is not the only unique element. Read the interview article located on this very web site. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

If Mystic Timbers is as good as the WORST of the GCI coasters I've ridden (Prowler, IMO) then it's going to blow Beast out of the water for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What's wrong with Prowler? If I recall I thought it was the best coaster of 2009.

• Like 1

What's wrong with Prowler? If I recall I thought it was the best coaster of 2009.

Absolutely nothing. "Worst" probably wasn't the right word choice. "Least great" is more accurate. It's an awesome coaster, it's just that all of the other GCIs I've ridden are also awesome.
  • Like 5

Even if Mystic Timbers is better than The Beast, what won't change is how important The Beast was to wooden roller. The Beast was a very avant-garde roller coaster in it's time and still is. If it weren't for The Beast a lot of modern wooden roller coasters we love to ride. However historical significance doesn't make a ride great. We won't find out how good it is until opening day.

• Like 3

If Mysty is as good as Renegade, my only GCI, I will enjoy it more than The Beast.  However, that doesn't mean I'll enjoy The Beast any less, and if that makes lines for an end of the night ride that much shorter, then all the better for me :)

• Like 4

An aspect that I think also dictates which one people will like better is design style.  The Beast has the long stretches of track and only has a few bits of laterals, but I think it has great 'big moments' which it does well in building up to  (the first drop, the hillside drops after the 2nd tunnel, the helix, being isolated from the park) while Mr T will focus on fast paced, high speed hills littered with airtime and laterals, just one forceful element after another with much more path and ride interactions.  I think there's something to be liked in both kinds of rides.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Delirium2018 said:

The real question is.... Will Mystic Timbers have to close during Fireworks like The Beast has to?

If this is a joke, I hope I don't come across as tone deaf, but if it is a serious question, in all likelihood no. Fireworks are launched off to the north side of The Beast, and Beast goes pretty close to that spot during the show. MT won't go anywhere near that spot. Racer is probably closer to that location than MT will be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coca-ColaParking said:

If this is a joke, I hope I don't come across as tone deaf, but if it is a serious question, in all likelihood no. Fireworks are launched off to the north side of The Beast, and Beast goes pretty close to that spot during the show. MT won't go anywhere near that spot. Racer is probably closer to that location than MT will be.

I was being sarcastic lol. Since Beast closes during Fireworks, Mystic Timbers, can give riders a nice wooden ride at the end of the night without having to wait till 10:45-11 to ride.

• Like 4

Pretty hard to beat The Beast with that layout. Not enough twisty mixed with the airtime for this to be better in my opinion. I'm gonna guess that this will most likely beat Banshee though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Huge Beast fan but if I could only ride The Beast or Thunderhead, I would choose Thunderhead - I think for many Timbers will be the same way.  Of course all the "complainers" on FaceBook will never admit how much fun this ride will be.  This company has proven that you don't need crazy speed or height to make a fun coaster.

• Like 2