The Beast vs Mystic Timbers

Xdog42

Hmm- while I can't fully answer this question until Mystic Timbers opens and I get to ride it for myself, I guess I can speculate.

Mystic Timbers is probably gonna be a excellent wooden roller coaster- it'll be fast paced, promises a LOT of airtime, and also boasts a wooded setting (same as Beast offers) with non-stop action from the moment you leave the lift to the final brakes and shed. All of these are things people probably usually look for in top-rated wooden coasters, and Mystic Timbers should have them.

However, if you try to judge Beast like that- and many probably do- Beast falls flat. Beast isn't non-stop action with no chance to grab your breath (you actually get several spots where you can), it lacks airtime (save maybe on one hill- if you're lucky as I only got air on it ONCE), and it has sections of long straight track and long curves that aren't super forceful, and it has several trim brakes. But it does offer good speed (well, when running good and with a decently loaded train- it can feel a bit slow sometimes), an amazing wooded setting that makes you feel like you aren't even at an amusement park (though you are very reminded of that fact with possibly the best view ever atop the 2nd lift), and it builds up to the amazing double helix finale. It is a very unique coaster- there simply aren't any other rides quite like it, save maybe The Ultimate @ Lightwater Valley in the UK but even that is pretty different since it is a steel coaster. 

So really, Mystic Timbers vs. The Beast is comparing a more "mainstream" answer to "What does a great wooden roller coaster do?" to one that challenges that very notion with a weird layout. I think in most polls and stuff like that, Mystic Timbers is probably gonna rank higher than Beast, since most GCI's at other parks already have. As for me personally, I am gonna wait until I ride Mystic Timbers for myself. I adore Beast though, so beating it is gonna be a tall order.

I'm also a bit grateful that Mystic Timbers is in the same park as Beast, so unless time is running down and I need to pick ONE to ride before closing, I'll be able to ride both and not have to choose every time I ride KI (given that both are working and not broken whenever I visit). If Mystic Timbers night rides are even half as good as Beast's though? I'm gonna wanna visit a lot more during Haunt since then you can get a bunch of night rides in and thus do both easily...

• Like 10

13 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I'm curious to see if more people will chose to ride MT at night because of The Beast temporarily closing for the fireworks.

How do you know that MT will not do the same? You comment sparks questions for me.  (Pun intended) IndyGuy4KI will be here all day! :P

I think this thread will get some more knowledgeable responses after next weekend!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KingsIslandJunkie said:

I think some people will choose Mystic Timbers over Beast because of how rough The Beast is but i love The Beast and how rough it is and how amazing the night ride is 

I prefer The Beast for being rough.

Truthfully, I think MT looks fun but videos don't look as thrilling to me. Granted, I haven't ridden it yet, but as of now I'm sticking with Beast!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KatieF said:

Truthfully, I think MT looks fun but videos don't look as thrilling to me. Granted, I haven't ridden it yet, but as of now I'm sticking with Beast!

Please update us after you ride MT!  I didn't think I would like any wooden better than Beast, but Thunderhead changed my mind.  Not that I don't ride The Beast any less or anything and it still is my go to coaster unless I have the choice of one versus the other.

• Like 2

No sense in weighing in until the moment of truth, I suppose, but I can say this:

1. If MT lightens lines at The Beast, particularly at night, I'll be happy.  Not sure how the dynamics of that are gonna play out, but if so, cool.

2. Good for KI if they can build a coaster that once I've had a chance to ride it a few times would even make me think of returning to this discussion!  I just remember first riding The Voyage a couple of years ago and being totally surprised by it--my first thought when exiting was, "this might be better than The Beast." But, on second thought, The Voyage might be what The Beast was to me when I was a kid riding it for the first few times--a complete and total onslaught of the senses.  A total knockout.  A surprise. If KI can get me to that place with MT, more power to them!

I cannot wait to be able to give my post-ride review!

• Like 7

On 4/7/2017 at 2:41 PM, iheartbeast79 said:

No sense in weighing in until the moment of truth, I suppose, but I can say this:

1. If MT lightens lines at The Beast, particularly at night, I'll be happy.  Not sure how the dynamics of that are gonna play out, but if so, cool.

PREACH!! Lightening the line at The Beast at any point in the day would be perfect for me!

• Like 1

Having ridden Mystic Timbers today, I must say that they are two different styles of coasters.  Mystic Timbers certainly gives The Beast a run for its money in my book.  Would I rank it higher than The Beast?  The jury is sitll out on that one.  But Mystic Timbers, like so many other GCIs I have ridden, is non stop action from the time you leave the lift hill until you hit the breaks at the end of the ride.  The ride is intense, yet fun.  

I definitely think that Kings Island has a hit on their hands.  It really rounds out Kings Island`s roller coaster collection nicely, in my opinion.

• Like 8

I'm excited to ride MT as soon as I can get to the park in a week or two after all the positive enjoyment I've read and heard from those who have ridden. One of my favorite parts about The Beast  is the second lift hill. I enjoy the calm before the storm. Anytime I've taken a new guest to Kings Island I always keep them away from The Beast until after dark, it is pure laughing pleasure for me(eating bugs included) in that front seat with a newbie at night in pitch black darkness. Doesn't get much better, several great memories!

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 1:11 AM, KatieF said:

I agree! The Beast is more fun because you know that heres a 38 year old roller coaster that beats the heck out of you, but thrills you at the same time and doesn't cause real pain. Mystic Timbers is actually more thrilling then you might think, as even I had doubts, but after riding Mystic Timbers last night, I was surprised and I think other people will be surprised on how thrilling it is. I do still prefer The Beast as my favorite wooden coaster, but I think when you ride Mystic Timbers, it defiantly is up there with its elder coaster! 

• Like 5

I love how fast-paced and tight MT is as opposed to The Beast's rather drawn out turns. That being said, I also love the originality and the placement of The Beast throughout the woods. I really do think it's a sin to say which one is "better" based on a set guidelines, as both rides are very different. I feel that these two coasters compliment each other more than anything.

• Like 3

I know this will never happen but i wish that gci did a beast renovation so it doesn't have any trims and it has more laterals and airtime hills instead of flats. It has so much potential that is wasted. Like i said, ki will never ruin a classic but it would make The Beast a top 5 woodie again. I would atleast appreciate some millennium flyers or anything that isnt a ptc train. 

Agree with Joshua, why people want to change The Beast into something it isn't (or was ever) supposed to be is beyond me. It makes more sense to build a GCI than try to GCI (or RMC) The Beast. Glad KI went that route. It's still #1 to me (although I haven't been on El Toro or Boulderdash) although the Voyage is amazing as well. Hope KI decides to add a GG sometime.

• Like 2

Overall, I like Mystic Timbers, but if I have to choose one ride in the limited hours after dark on those long summer days, I'm going with The Beast.  A night ride on The Beast is something special and a great way to end the day.  The double helix is always awesome, but during the day, the rest of the ride does nothing for me.  I usually don't ride it when the park closes at 8.  I'm going to ride Mystic Timbers a lot more simply because the park is open during daylight hours longer than after dark.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a hard time putting one in my top 3 vs the other- hopefully if/when the giga comes I can just say they're both in my top 5 KI coasters.

In terms of The Beast getting work done, I'd say Racer needs it more by a long shot- those airtime hills are extremely painful for me. I don't known if its just the trains or the aging track but I only ride it if I have to anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewD4y20 said:

Beast is better and isn't even close.

It's the absolute pinnacle of wooden coasters

That is your opinion, and we should all respect it. We also need to reciprocate others opinions that are different.

The way it is written, it seems this is wrote as an absolute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1