The Amusement Park Railroad Thread

On 10/29/2021 at 3:46 PM, kimv1972 said:

A sample of the pictures Cassandra posted today on the Crown Locomotive Facebook.  Kenny's engine on the factory test track before being delivered.  Note that people are riding where the propane tanks should be.  They didn't need much fuel on a track that was maybe 700 feet long.

ki12 at elizbeth 1.jpg

I love seeing the old pictures of the crown locomotives. makes me smile

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, MillenniumforceMike said:

photo of CP&LE #44 aka Judy K idling at frontiertown at night on the 7th of August, 2021. I needed a reason to post this because I found out at the start of of March that I will be a fireman on the Cedar Point & Lake Erie railroad. I go for my on-boarding appointment on the 30th of April.

cp&le judy k.jpg

They are replacing the skeletons FD with real people? :lol:

In all seriousness, the train needs its own firefighters?

11 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

They are replacing the skeletons FD with real people? :lol:

In all seriousness, the train needs its own firefighters?

Firefighters no, but firemen yes! Fireman is the person who controls the amount of steam generated for the locomotive. They’re the ones who would feed the fire, and add water to create steam. It’s a delicate act but also very important one, not enough water could lead to the locomotive going caboom! Depending on what fuels the fire, it can be labor intensive position as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Not an amusement park but still related to the topic... The Cincinnati Zoo has replaced its train with a new electric one. The old one was a standard Chance Rides CP Huntington train. The zoo had two locomotives but only used one (I'm guessing they either rotated them or used one as a spare). I'm assuming this one is from Chance as well. https://cincinnatizoo.org/news-releases/ride-the-new-electric-train/

20 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

Not an amusement park but still related to the topic... The Cincinnati Zoo has replaced its train with a new electric one. The old one was a standard Chance Rides CP Huntington train. The zoo had two locomotives but only used one (I'm guessing they either rotated them or used one as a spare). I'm assuming this one is from Chance as well. https://cincinnatizoo.org/news-releases/ride-the-new-electric-train/

https://www.chancerides.com/electric_cphuntington_train/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 2:00 AM, Oldiesmann said:

They could’ve done a better job with the whistle, it sounds like a toy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got to tour the BGW railroad today. The locomotive I got to tour up close and personal is the #17 “Alpen Express”. The Locomotive Engineer who gave me the tour, name is Scott. What I found incredible was when I got into the cab was how it was hot. At Busch Gardens, maintenance fires up a reserve engine in the morning in case the engine of the day goes down. The “Alpen Express” is also one of the rare crowns which coaches came with a caboose. I asked Scott about the snow plow and he told me it was added when the park acquired the Engine and is not functional.
I did not get to tour any of #661 “Balmoral Castle” due to it being in the maintenance bay. From what I was told there is a strict line between maintenance and the Engineers at BGW. I got to stand next to #238 “Der Hochbeininge” and ride her around the park with Scott. He gave me a lesson on train signaling and what their whistle lingo was. There is no bells on any engine at BGW. I didn’t spend much time with this engine due to her working the main line. Overall the tour was fantastic! Scott showed me so much, He was very passionate about steam locomotives and Crown Engines in particular. He is definitely an expert in his craft. I learned a ton and had an awesome time! I definitely recommend anyone visiting Busch Gardens to sign up for the Railroad Steam Engine Tour. 

IMG_1251.jpeg

IMG_1254.jpeg

IMG_1253.jpeg

IMG_1259.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...