Visiting next month, but scared.....

Danni78

Okay, my daughter's school band is going to be at KI next month after playing at some event. My daughter is begging and pleading with me to be one of the chaperones for this trip. I'm terrified that I can't do it. I'm a large woman....how large you ask??  well 52'' chest and well wider hips and just overall a generous bit over the 300 mark....Yeah yeah yeah I know, I need to lose weight, and I'm working on it, I found out that my thyroid has been out of whack for a long time and since Rome wasn't built in a day, the fat isn't coming off in a day either. I don't want to be one of those people who need an electric scooter to get around in, I am absolutely determined that if I'm going, I'm going on my own two feet so I'm busting my tail on the treadmill to get more acclimated to long periods of walking. I'm just terrified that if I tried to ride any of the rides, then I will be told that I can't. It is going to be extremely embarrassing for me and I know it will be for my daughter if her band friends and their parents see me like that. I have tried to politely decline going, I haven't been to KI since 1998 when I was 150 lbs. lighter and in college, but she is adamant that I come with her because all of the other parents are going and she will feel left out if I don't. I admit, yeah some of the trips they go on if I'm not there she is kind of overlooked, so I want to go on this trip just so I can be with her. It will be her first time to KI and I want her to love it as much as I did when I was her age, but before I go, I want to see if there is anything that I can ride? I know that the roller coasters are right out, I can't really ride them anyways, the last time I rode a roller coaster I had a terrible migraine for some time after, so I have crossed them off the list. I'm talking about rides like the Viking Fury (that's the one she wants to ride first as I told her that was my favorite ride as a kid), White Water Canyon (definitely 2nd fave), Congo Falls, the log ride, and since it has been so long since I have been there, I'm not even sure what other non-coaster rides they have. So if someone could please help me, I would be extremely grateful!!

• Like 3

Welcome to KIC!

As for the rides you mentioned: Congo Falls should certainly be fine for you; it has simple bench seats and no restraints at all. The log flume also should be fine with no restraints, but the width of the log might present a small issue. You could probably squeeze in, but with your weight and size, I wouldn't recommend riding with more than two other people. Rounding out the water rides, White Water Canyon is likely fine; it uses stretchy seat belts that cover two adjacent seats per belt. You might have to take up both of those seats at once, but I've seen large people do that with no issues. Viking Fury might be an issue; one, I'm not sure how far the lap bar needs to be down to be considered locked, and two, it's a community lap bar that you share with other people in your row as well, so once it comes down and hits you, the amount of space between the kid next to you and the lap bar might be a problem (I don't know their rules on that, or if they even have such a rule).

As for other rides, Drop Tower is a no-go for you. Delirium and WindSeeker are likely also too tight. Most of the small Coney flats (Scrambler, Monster, Dodgem, and Shake, Rattle, & Roll) are probably OK, though I doubt you could fit on Zephyr. And finally, Boo Blasters will be fine.

If you're concerned about a "walk of shame" (the common term in the enthusiast community for having to leave a ride because you couldn't fit into the restraints), know that some rides have test seats outside the entrance, and on all other rides, you can approach the exit and ask to test-fit a seat between ride cycles prior to waiting in line.

I hope you and your daughter have fun, and good luck on losing weight! :)

• Like 3

I love that you are putting your daughter ahead of your own fears. You rock! Welcome to KIC!

As far as what you might/might not fit on, it all really depends on your personal weight distribution. If you don't want to ride stuff or are worried, there is no problem waiting in lines with your group, then simply walking through to the exit rather than ride. If you do decide to try a coaster, the newer ones have test seats outside the entrance so you can see if you'll fit before even getting in line. 

You should be able to ride White Water Canyon if you are ok with walking around wet for a bit afterward. There is also the train. Both are going to offer some great views of the new Mystic Timbers coaster as well!

Although it's not a whole lot of fun, having someone to hold everyone's bags/etc while they ride is always appreciated. Personally, I enjoy people-watching and just being in the park atmosphere enjoyable enough that I could have fun even if I don't ride anything. 

Assuming you go after the Origins show starts for the season (it might not until after your visit, I don't know what the start date is yet), I can't recommend it enough! Love the show!

• Like 7

Okay, my daughter's school band is going to be at KI next month after playing at some event. My daughter is begging and pleading with me to be one of the chaperones for this trip. I'm terrified that I can't do it. I'm a large woman....how large you ask??  well 52'' chest and well wider hips and just overall a generous bit over the 300 mark....Yeah yeah yeah I know, I need to lose weight, and I'm working on it, I found out that my thyroid has been out of whack for a long time and since Rome wasn't built in a day, the fat isn't coming off in a day either. I don't want to be one of those people who need an electric scooter to get around in, I am absolutely determined that if I'm going, I'm going on my own two feet so I'm busting my tail on the treadmill to get more acclimated to long periods of walking. I'm just terrified that if I tried to ride any of the rides, then I will be told that I can't. It is going to be extremely embarrassing for me and I know it will be for my daughter if her band friends and their parents see me like that. I have tried to politely decline going, I haven't been to KI since 1998 when I was 150 lbs. lighter and in college, but she is adamant that I come with her because all of the other parents are going and she will feel left out if I don't. I admit, yeah some of the trips they go on if I'm not there she is kind of overlooked, so I want to go on this trip just so I can be with her. It will be her first time to KI and I want her to love it as much as I did when I was her age, but before I go, I want to see if there is anything that I can ride? I know that the roller coasters are right out, I can't really ride them anyways, the last time I rode a roller coaster I had a terrible migraine for some time after, so I have crossed them off the list. I'm talking about rides like the Viking Fury (that's the one she wants to ride first as I told her that was my favorite ride as a kid), White Water Canyon (definitely 2nd fave), Congo Falls, the log ride, and since it has been so long since I have been there, I'm not even sure what other non-coaster rides they have. So if someone could please help me, I would be extremely grateful!!

Have no fear. Kings Island is full of things for everyone! What your seeking are the flat rides from the sound of it and they have a couple great ones. The Monster, Scrambler, Shake Rattle and Roll, WindSeeker. There's also to rides you can partake in that cost additional money, the Slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer. They also have some great shows you guys can go see. However that being said there are also some coasters you will be able enjoy and some of them even have "tester" seats at the beginning of the line if you want to check before standing in line. You may want to also get a females perspective on some of those though... some of the restraints go across the chest and may be uncomfortable for your chest measurement. Coming from a parent even if you only ride the flat rides with her and see the shows it's worth the trip for that experience together and the fun that will be had. Heck even if you don't ride a single ride it will be worth seeing her face and how much she enjoys it. So GO and as KI would say Have a Best Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There sadly is not a "one size fits all" answer to this question. It really all depends on where weight is held and body shape and such. Things like Viking Fury, Scrambler, Monster, etc should all be fine. They aren't super restrictive, but obviously I can't guarantee anything. Last season I was 6"1, around 320 pounds. I was able to ride pretty much everything but Diamondback, Flight of Fear, and Drop Tower. However, my weight is spread pretty evenly on a large frame, not all kept in one spot. Here's my advice. Try things out. If you get brave enough to try a coaster, try one of the test seats. My guess is that most coasters will be a no go, except for The Bat. Also remember that KI has shows, live entertainment, music, etc. Not just rides. I think you should go, and even if rides can't happen, I bet you'll enjoy it. 

• Like 2

You sound like an amazing mother considering you are willing to do all of this for your daughter. As someone who grew up with a mother that did not ride rides (for health and size reasons), I can tell you first hand that just being in the park with her meant a lot to me and I cherish those memories even if she was waiting at the exit for me. I believe your daughter will just be happy that you are with her and spending time making memories. Don't stress yourself out, don't be embarrassed. Take what these fine folks above me have said and just remember your limits. If you want to try and see if it works then go for it! If not thats okay too. Some days I will just walk around the park and not ride anything. Enjoy your time. :)

Oh, and Welcome to KIC!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Assuming you go after the Origins show starts for the season (it might not until after your visit, I don't know what the start date is yet), I can't recommend it enough! Love the show!

Origins start date is May 27th...with the off day on Wednesdays this year...

Like many people have said, their is a lot to do at the park besides rides but there is many rides you can ride, the rides you mentioned should be okay although I will say the log ride, Race for your life Charlie Brown is the ride I think your referring to is a little tight but still should be fine. Also The Bat is one coaster anyone can ride because of its overhead restraints and since it has a suspended/hanging track, it is not very rough and a very enjoyable family coaster thats not to intense. You could also ride Boo Blasters, which is a dark ride where you blast ghost for points basically, it can seat anyone and is good for catching a quick break from the outside. Also dont forget that the train is great, relaxing fun and can fit anyone. Viking Fury should be fine, along with White Water Canyon I would think. Congo Falls also should be alright. You could also take a trip up the Eiffel Tower, if your not scared of heights or anything like that! Most importantly have fun with whatever you ride and if you feel comfortable with a few rides go for it, if not dont worry and move on to the next ride. Hope all goes well and have fun! 

• Like 1

Hello,

I am roughly 5'6" and around 275 lbs. On every trip I make it a point to ride The Bat, The Eiffel Tower ,Boo Blasters and the Ki & MV RR (train) and occasionally ride other things as well.I rode Viking Fury last season with no problem (I also rode Cedar Points version of VF with no issues as well) the only issue is like stated by jcgoble3 that the lap bar might be a little loose on the others riding under  the same lap bar, but if I recall correctly I was in a row with two kids 6-8 years old and no more than 60 pounds and we all enjoyed the ride.

I also take a KI trip once a year with my now 77 year old mother and there are plenty of places to stop and sit for a bit along our leisurely walks from place to place and going from show to show,and when I hit one of the longer wait attractions she goes into the arcade in Coney Mall and has a blast until I return.

I am guessing you won't be the only parent/chaperone that are past their "big ride ability" that will be enjoying the sights and sound of the park more than the rides.

There are many less intense things to do in the park that will still be fun and memorable.

Have fun,

Mark

10 hours ago, KatieF said:

It's been a while since I've been-- but what about Surfin' Snoopy? I know it's a lap bar but I know I enjoy it and there's not really any airtime like the ship.

I have no idea what the fit is like on Surf Dog, as I've never seen anyone talk about it in that regard, but do be aware that similar to Viking Fury, Surf Dog uses one shared lap bar per row. This is especially a problem because the lap bar looks like it is a separate bar per seat, but it isn't. This often leads to little kids slamming the lap bar down hard and inflicting substantial pain on the largest adult in the row, who just got massively stapled, sometimes to the point of cutting off circulation in their legs. Sometimes the ride ops will release and re-lock the lap bar in that situation (with a reminder to the kids to let the adults position the bar themselves), and sometimes they won't and you'll have to tough it out. While my legs are not very large, I have been that adult once or twice and it is not fun when it happens.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KatieF said:

It's been a while since I've been-- but what about Surfin' Snoopy? I know it's a lap bar but I know I enjoy it and there's not really any airtime like the ship.

I'm 6'2" and 285.  I have 4 kids, 3 of whom are young, short, and skinny.  We ride Surf Dog every time we go to KI.  The form of the seat is a little uncomfortable for my posterior (it's a shallow depression with hard edges), but I technically fit.  The lap bar rests on my thighs and leaves my poor kids with a LOT of open space.  As you said though, it's not really an airtime/floaty ride so it really isn't a problem.  The kids don't really mind, they love riding rides with the whole family and Surf Dog is definitely a favorite!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VortexJD said:

I'm 6'2" and 285.  I have 4 kids, 3 of whom are young, short, and skinny.  We ride Surf Dog every time we go to KI.  The form of the seat is a little uncomfortable for my posterior (it's a shallow depression with hard edges), but I technically fit.  The lap bar rests on my thighs and leaves my poor kids with a LOT of open space.  As you said though, it's not really an airtime/floaty ride so it really isn't a problem.  The kids don't really mind, they love riding rides with the whole family and Surf Dog is definitely a favorite!

Yeah, I especially think sitting on an edge would be okay. It's always a ride I start off with! It's pretty fun! I never feel dizzy on it too, so that's a plus.

Welcome to KIC!

Glad to hear you are willing to go with your daughter considering your comfort level and anxiety. I have seen a lot of great responses, so I don't have anything to add other than I take my kid and the look on their faces created from the excitement of being there is something you do not want to miss. I got some really good advice recently and that is make memories with your children. You can buy them things, but the things most treasured as they get older are the experiences, not what you bought them. That is why I have four trips planned for this year beginning with a concert in Columbus, a trip to KI in May, a week at North Myrtle Beach in June, and a trip to Cedar Point in July my birthday weekend.

Danni78 - you have great advice above. I think you are doing two great steps now - walking on the treadmill to increase you walking stamina and preparing your approach of the park ahead of time. You've got this! 

The important thing is that your daughter wants to share this experience with you. Most rides have a rest area at the exit and that is a great place to wait and sometimes even get a glimpse of your group as they fly by. When I was little, my mom and grandma didn't ride (bad back and motion sickness) but I still have happy memories of our time there, even though we never rode a ride together. To help your stamina, I would recommend walking around the park in an orderly fashion. Don't try to go from The Beast straight to Banshee - it is exhausting. Just start walking and hit rides and coasters as you come up to them. 

Finally, if you haven't already, maybe talk with her about your fears and your game plan for your visit so you can create new KI memories together. 

Best of luck and please let us know how your trip goes! 

• Like 1