How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

On April 13, 2017 at 11:44 PM, CoasterKyle1121 said:

I've heard mixed reviews about the shed. What did everyone here think?

The ride itself was amazing, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for the shed. It's interesting and the atmosphere is cool, and something does happen, but it's nothing too cool. Part of me wishes there was a fake tree with glowing eyes in the shed, but what we got was interesting. 

• Like 6

It was AWESOME although the shed was a bit lackluster. I'd give it a 9/10. I loved how smooth and how intense it was. It was a really fun ride.

I think the ending would be better if right when The Bat/snake/tree monster showed up the room turned yellow, "Roundabout" by Yes started playing in the background and "To be continued" was displayed on the screen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tien Shinhan said:

I think the ending would be better if right when The Bat/snake/tree monster showed up the room turned yellow, "Roundabout" by Yes started playing in the background and "To be continued" was displayed on the screen.

Oh, so the creature changes every time? If I recall, the song that played for me was "Cars" by Gary Numan. Can't wait to hear what others songs are played in the shed! 

• Like 3

I really wish the shed had used animatronics instead of projection screens. I understand the theming is a huge step for Cedar Fair but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Even if they just had spinning axes or moving tree branches I would have been satisfied, but a quick animation on a screen looks and feels very cheap. This is a state of the art brand new coaster that was marketed to be highly themed but it falls very short in that department for me. Flight of Fear, Adventure Express and Italian Job all are much better themed (ik Paramount owned the park then but still, these rides are older and technology is so much better now). The actual ride is a grand slam though!

• Like 10

They even did right by Adventure Express and that was before Paramount. Cedar Fair has done good with theming, etc Banshee and Knott's Berry Farm so my hopes were pretty high. I too was expecting some animatronics like saw blades or the tree from the ride logo. The ride is still great and the theming is really good, but I understand why people were disappointed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DiamondBanshee said:

Along the way we met a really nice gentleman who knew a lot about roller coasters and it was an absolute blast taking to him throughout the wait. It was about 11:30 when we finally got on. I was lucky enough to get first row with my newly acquired friend.

Haha, that was my dad you met. He says he hopes you have an awesome time at Dollywood.

• Like 4

^ I would recommend checking out Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain.  Where Six Flags proved they could ruin a GCI in less than 8 years.  It has been about a year since I was on the ride but it was just painful and I think might be rougher than Mean Streak before it closed.

Thankfully we have a maintenance crew which have proven they know how to take care of wood coaster track.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JubJester said:

Been thinking about this...

...but they can always add onto the shed. They have lots of room in the first area of the shed.

And change the projections or add more. I can only imagine the possibilities for Haunt! 

• Like 6

I've gotten two rides in on Mystic Timbers so far (once last night and another one early this morning). I love the ride and the roomy cars, though the shed was a bit over-hyped in my opinion (although I do love "Cars". As a music buff it's interesting to note that "Cars" was released the same year that Beast opened (although it wasn't released in the US until the following year).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rustbucket said:

Roar, Gwazi and Wild Cat at Hershey did not age well either. Thunderhead, Renegade and Lightning Racer aged really well though. 

All the coasters you mentioned above that didn't age started with PTC's instead of the new flyers. The PTC's did do a number on the track that the new flyers just can't remedy for those rides, they simply weren't designed for the coasters. I think every coaster that started off with the Flyers has aged well except for Apocalypse which lets face it year round ops and SF owning it doesn't help. I think eventually MT will have a little bit of bite to it but KI definitely knows how to take care of their woodies and I think it will be a great ride for years to come.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kenban said:

^ I would recommend checking out Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain.  Where Six Flags proved they could ruin a GCI in less than 8 years.  It has been about a year since I was on the ride but it was just painful and I think might be rougher than Mean Streak before it closed.

Thankfully we have a maintenance crew which have proven they know how to take care of wood coaster track.

Apocalypse is also out in the middle of a desert and has much harsher elements to deal with.  Lightning Racer, Thunderhead and Wildcat were still good when I rode them nearly a decade after the respective ride was built IMO.  

• Like 2

Got my first ride today. The ride iteself is fantastic, fast and furious! I loved it! I was a bit confused with the shed. I wasn't sure what it was meant to be or mean. I was expecting vines and overgrowth but saw a... not sure what it was. I think it was a Bat. Not sure how it fit in with the theme, except maybe it's a play on The Bat roller coasters history, maybe from disturbing the mysterious woods in some way.

edit: at one time Kings Island was promoted as being the "only place on earth where you can find Beasts, Bats and Demons" (Screamin Demon)

• Like 3

So, I've ridden MT 3 times (Twice today, once on Preview Night) and I must say, it is a solid addition to the park and I'm really glad we have a GCI in the park! The speed and twists are awesome and the shed, while underwhelming at first, has really grown on me. As I was saying to Malem, it will be interesting to see which becomes my more Go-to ride this season: The Bat or Mystic Timbers (at least, once the line dies down a bit...). Though I rode it twice today, I'm already hoping to ride again next time I come to the park (along with FOF and Beast).

As for the shed...

I have seen the giant bat twice and the snake once. Props to electricsun for explaining the homages in the shed. Bat = The Bat, Snake = Diamondback, and I guess the third thing is supposed to represent The Beast or Mystic Timbers (?). Like I said, the shed is starting to grow on me and going in, I thought there would be an animatronic thrown in there. However, with Cedar Fair's Amusement Dark initiative, I can see where rides like this and Wonder Mountain's Guardian fit in...

Also, I am really liking the music in the shed. However, I'm not sure if the music is connected to the shed event or the train color. I'm assuming the music, as I believe the bats appeared to me when I rode both the Green and Blue trains. If this is the case, I remember "Maneater" being connected with the bats. 

• Like 3

I was able to ride Mr. T once today, around sunset. The wait was about 2 hours but MT had been down earlier in the day so I was glad the wife and I were able to get on. 

This was my gist GCI and now I am hooked. This ride is fantastic. The only downside to it keeping its speed the entire time is that it feels like you hit the brakes after only 10 seconds. I can't really complain though because the ride experience is so great. I will definitely come back on a weekday so I can ride it 5-10 times in a row. 

I thought the shed was fine. They hyped it up a lot but hey, that's still 10x more theming than DB and Banshee combined. I think if they had just built the coaster without the shed I still would be happy, but it's definitely different! Unfortunately it was still light out when we got off, so the first night ride will have to come later this year. 

Overall I was blown away by the entire experience. I think this has a legitimate shot at best new ride at the golden ticket awards. This ride is outstanding. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

So, I've ridden MT 3 times (Twice today, once on Preview Night) and I must say, it is a solid addition to the park and I'm really glad we have a GCI in the park! The speed and twists are awesome and the shed, while underwhelming at first, has really grown on me. As I was saying to Malem, it will be interesting to see which becomes my more Go-to ride this season: The Bat or Mystic Timbers (at least, once the line dies down a bit...). Though I rode it twice today, I'm already hoping to ride again next time I come to the park (along with FOF and Beast).

As for the shed...

Hide contents

I have seen the giant bat twice and the snake once. Props to electricsun for explaining the homages in the shed. Bat = The Bat, Snake = Diamondback, and I guess the third thing is supposed to represent The Beast or Mystic Timbers (?). Like I said, the shed is starting to grow on me and going in, I thought there would be an animatronic thrown in there. However, with Cedar Fair's Amusement Dark initiative, I can see where rides like this and Wonder Mountain's Guardian fit in...

Also, I am really liking the music in the shed. However, I'm not sure if the music is connected to the shed event or the train color. I'm assuming the music, as I believe the bats appeared to me when I rode both the Green and Blue trains. If this is the case, I remember "Maneater" being connected with the bats. 

I just had an epiphany what if whats in the shed is actually symbolism for the "fallen rides"...

Bat = The original Bat, Snake = King Cobra and Tree = Son of Beast?!?!?!?!

Also at first thought the images and songs could be connected to the train color too but its not. And it appears the music isn't either because I had "Maneater" song with the big tree (brown train). And "Cars" song with the snake (blue train). I've heard others say they had "Total Eclipse of the Heart". I was under the impression the shed was the same for each train in the day than changes sometime in the night but that isn't the case either as we approached the shed and the timing was off we could see the train in front of us still turning from The Bat and we got the tree next. I asked one of the ride ops and he said its actually tied to whats on the tvs during the queue lines?

Edited by Melody
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Melody said:

FYI- I can't figure out know how to do spoiler tags so if someone wants to tell me how or a mod do it feel free lol..

Just add [spo iler] in front of what you want to hide and [/spo iler] after what you want to hide. And do it without the space in between the o and i. I had to do that so you could see the code.

• Like 3

We made the mistake of going right to MT when we got to the park and had to wait 4 hours. It would have been shorter but the ride decided it just didn't want to run a couple of times. They were routing people through the Crypt building so it was neat to go inside there after all this time. The ride itself was fine. Smooth and fast and very rerideable. The shed was... interesting. Nothing mindblowing but cute in its own way. I had no expectations of the shed going in so anything I got was just icing on the cake. I like it.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Melody said:

I just had an epiphany what if its actually symbolism for the "fallen rides". Bat = The original Bat, Snake = King Cobra and Tree = Son of Beast?!?!?!?!

I agree with the fact that MT might pay homage to the old coasters from the 80s like King Cobra and The Bat. I feel like Kings Island's given us all the clues, we just have to decode whether the scenes are old rides or not.

Ever since they revealed Mystic Timbers back in June, I always thought they were going to use the shed to hint at something bigger coming in the future...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rcwizard13 said:

Just add [spo iler] in front of what you want to hide and [/spo iler] after what you want to hide. And do it without the space in between the o and i. I had to do that so you could see the code.

Thanks lol got it now

On 4/14/2017 at 1:00 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

There is a fairly significant difference, IMO, depending on which side of the train I ride, even more than I noticed between front of the train or back. The left side doesn't throw you out of your seat as much as the right. It's still fun, but it offers a tamer more relaxing ride for anyone looking for that. 

There's only one spot I would agree with that with- the final hill up to the brakes.  I was way, way up against the lap bar as it leveled off and made that turn in combination.  My only ride was just in front of the middle of the train (row 4 I think on the right), but that one spot was easily the point where it had the strongest negative g's.