How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

9 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Apocalypse is also out in the middle of a desert and has much harsher elements to deal with.  Lightning Racer, Thunderhead and Wildcat were still good when I rode them nearly a decade after the respective ride was built IMO.  

I see your point, but I also have to point out that people used to say exactly the same thing about Gwazi. And then White Lightning showed up at Fun Spot and has ridden beautifully ever since. I've heard before that Fun Spot's management obsessively retracks the ride to keep it from becoming Gwazi.

I don't disagree that the climate affects how rides age, but I also think priority affects them just as much, if not more.

Interesting theory/observation, Melody! :D

EDIT: I should also note that for my 3 rides, I waited 2 1/2 hours, 10-15 minutes, and approx. 2 hours, respectively.

Also, I'm going to add on to Melody's theory and say that maybe...

The Bat could represent the Demon Bat from The Crypt line; just a thought. 

• Like 1

WARNING. SPOILERS AHEAD. WARNING.

So we have got three rides on Mysti going into today. The coaster itself is Phenomenal! Only thing I can really say. Last night we boarded for our first night ride at 10:30 ish and it felt so much faster than both previous rides.. maybe they increased the speed so they could get home lol.

Anyway I must say that I was expecting a little too much from the shed and was a little underwhelmed, however it's a nice edition. We did get two bat endings and I wanted to point out one time the song was "maneater" and the other time it was "cars" so not sure how the song selection works. I remember for the snake ending we had a different song as well but I'm having a hard time remembering what it was right this second. Unfortunately I've only seen the two endings and from the sound of it there's at least three so hopefully we will get the third one today. Does anyone know if there's only 3?

One thing that's really cool about the shed is the way it's done they can change it and add something new anytime really. Maybe even add more elements at a later time.. hopefully some holograms to go with the endings!

So overall an amazing addition to Kings Island and can't wait for many more rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

KI has a total winner with this ride! I've only been able to ride it once so far this past Friday afternoon (luckily I showed up at 2pm and only waited 20 minutes after the park opened), and I absolutely loved every second of it. It's such a beautiful coaster...I cannot wait to ride it again. It sure feels faster than 53mph with all the quick directional changes and pops of air. MT is the coaster I've personally wanted to see KI build for a long time and theming it to The Miami River Lumber Co. is a huge plus! I had to have one of the new shirts with the 'it's all good in the woods' slogan on it...way too cool!

It seems the powers that be have learned all sorts of lessons from Son of Beast and their additions in the past few years have been reliable and stellar! I'm a firm believer a wooden coaster doesn't have to be the biggest to be exciting and a ton of fun and Mystic Timbers delivers that and then some!

As far as the shed...I didn't go in over hyping it myself and I found it a fun way to end the ride with a nod to KI's wonderful past. It's pretty much what I expected, so no disappointment from me.

Also, it's so nice to see the powers that be bring back some of the old lure to the Rivertown area. Reminds me a lot of the very early years where the rides matched the theme of the area for the most part anyway. I cannot wait for Coasterstock for some ERT night rides!

• Like 3

I loved this ride. The theme is fun, but I'm not one to really care much about that if the ride itself is worth it. 

The first part that really surprised me about MT was the first drop. I was really taken aback at how intense it was, and then the next drop after was also really fun. It truly is a nonstop ride from start to finish. It actually reminded me of Maverick (aside from the nonstop part) because of all the quick turns and changes in direction. That could be because I don't really have much wooden coaster experience to compare it to.

Our night ride was even better. The atmosphere on a ride like that in the dark in the woods is so fun and eerie, like The Beast has been known for. It felt so much faster than 53 MPH, too.

After waiting 3 hours for our first ride (we went right there at opening Saturday) we figured we would be done, but we were so glad we gave it another shot. We were extremely underwhelmed by The Shed the first go 'round, but realized that we could ride it again without thinking The Shed would add anything to the ride and that really helped make the second ride better. 

The Shed is fine for what it is but was definitely over-hyped in the marketing for the coaster. I'm sure it will help attract people to the ride and that's great, because the ride is fantastic with or without it.

• Like 2

With the exceptions, I'll edit my statement in saying that 90% of GCI's age well (mostly newer ones, ones designed primarily with the Flyers, ones not in harsh environments, ones that may be in parks that have lax woodie maintenance).  

With KI's history with wooden coasters (sans SOB), I'm not the least bit worried. 

• Like 7

So after 2 backseat rides (single rider luck both times) and a WHOLE LOT of off season/other GCI hype, my first impression is to give this thing about a 7.5/10. Solid addition, I see nothing wrong with the ride itself, just didn't quite have that "wow" factor my top 10 wood coasters have. The course was pretty forceful and fun, but I feel like the first half was a lot more intense than the return trip, and that the ride could afford to be just a bit longer. Theming and ambiance were top class, even if the shed was a bit overhyped (still enjoyed, but not main focus for me), and I'm sure that once I don't have to wait 2-4 hours, it will be alot more enjoyable. Like I said, solid addition, easily the best wooden coaster there (besides Beast purists), and just what the park needed. It just didn't have the initial OMG AMAZING 10/10!!!1!!1!!ONE reaction that I've had from other wooden coasters, and as I said first impressions so I'm sure my oppinions will change throughout the season....

I first rode MT on Friday Night, I was on the first few public trains ever on the ride, We got placed towards the back (and said hi to some KIC Members/great friends of mine that are on the crew) and at first it was great, the airtime was kind of overhyped, but boy was I glad I gave this thing a 2nd chance, we rode front row, absolutely fantastic, the airtime towards the front of more of my style (ejector), along with extremely fast twists, a few more rides after that and it's in my top 10, great wooden coaster! Kings Island has a winner on their hand! As for the shed, I didn't expect much, The shed didn't destroy the ride for me, I was actually impressed, way cooler than what I was thinking would be in the shed! The ride is a 10/10 for me, great wooden coaster!

• Like 4

Well I just wanted to start off by saying preview night was insanely busy! I've never seen the parking lot so full in my life! When I saw the line on Friday night, it was 3-4 hour wait. I said no way and waited until opening day the next day. The next day first thing, me and my sister jumped in line right away. We waited 2 hours which was well worth the wait. Everyone will laugh when I say this, but wouldn't it have been funny if they had the props in the haunt operational while waiting for Mystic Timbers? It would be like Halloween in April.....lol. Anyway, the line moved real fast at first then as we arrived to the main queue, it was moving at a turtle pace. Fast forward to the theming before the ride; I love the theme that interacts with the ride itself. The sheltered queues actually made me think it was the shed part 1 in a funny way. As we we're on the stairwell, I felt like I had new picture opportunities of Race for your life Charlie Brown. Getting into the station was really set-up well. I liked how it was designed to only allow a certain amount of people in the station at a time so you don't clutter in there like sheep. Cedar Point has this problem with Raptor and Millennium Force. Anyway, moving onto the ride experience.

Going up the hill and smelling new chain grease and wood was something that made me feel good about riding right away. As we went down the hill, I actually bit my lip because the acceleration of Mystic Timbers took me by surprise. I would say that's how the whole ride went was fast! I will say that Mystic Timbers lives up to it's hype with the airtime hills and speed. In my opinion, it felt like Voyage, but went through the course similar to Maverick. I loved the speed of this ride the most! The shed, I'm not sure If I'm allowed to give away hints about it now or not so I won't. I will say the shed was really cool how it interacts with the whole train. The music they played in there was in my head the rest of the day. I forget the artists name, but the song was called total eclipse of the heart. Overall, I give Mystic Timbers an A+! Great Job Kings Island, the pr team, and the construction crew who worked countless hours day after day getting this ride ready in time for opening weekend.

• Like 7

While I have yet to make it to row 1, I have hit row 2, 5,6,7 and 12.  So far no bad rows or seats.  The back did seem a little crazier though.

As for the shed, I did note that row 12 sits right outside of the whole thing (with row 11 right in the doorway).  If you have not seen what it in there, I would avoid these two rows on your maiden voyage.

One funny thing that happened when I was in one of the middle rows.  We were fully in the shed and it seemed to keep playing the song over and over.  After 10 minutes, everyone was wondering what was going on.  The other train behind us was sitting outside of the shed.  Suddenly, the "show" commences and does its thing (trying to stay spoiler free here).  After it is done, we are still not moving.  5-10 minutes later, whatever was going on was fixed and we started back to the station.  At this time, the next "show" cues and rolls.  I was not mad, but rather a little amused.  It does beat sitting in the rain / sun, regardless.

• Like 2

I wonder if the shed has AC or a fan for the summer? I enjoy a relaxing break on top a lift hill or a mcbr if I'm outside with sunscreen on, that's of course there isn't a kid screaming or even worse an adult the entire time. These rides are covered with sensors, just someone losing a flip flop can stop the ride, people don't freak out! 

• Like 2

There are apparently no AC units visible on the building from what a friend at the park told me. I know I noticed it already getting a little stifling when it was only mid-70s and sunny, so I think they're going to have to at least add some fans for the tech if not the riders. However, this weekend, no AC was running in the park from what I could tell (like in Festhaus or the arcades) so it is possible there is already some sort of hidden AC unit that wasn't switched on. 

The songs (I believe there are five or six of them, although I can't think of all of them at the moment, only

Total Eclipse of the Heart, Maneater, and Cars) are cycled separately from the other part of the show: they aren't linked to specific endings.

What I've been finding interesting as I ride more often is just how much is actually going on in the shed, that I didn't notice at first and from what I hear other people say, they don't seem to consciously notice either (but I suspect it is subconsciously adding to the effects whether noticed or not). At first, I was focused on the

screens

but there are a lot of subtler other things going on, that add to the mood, and I'm not just talking about lighting changes in the pre-shed. 

• Like 2

Now that it has been a few days and I have had time to think about it aside from Beast night rides Mystic Timbers is my favorite ride in the park. It is the most intense ride we have going and that is something I have longed for at KI after riding stuff like Maverick and Voyage. 

• Like 7

While reading through the thread, I just wanted to add some things about the queue and lift audio. The

Whatever you do, don't go in the shed! guy on the lift reminds me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

Also, on a funny note, the whole "Warning, keep out!" announcement when you enter the line makes me think of a disclaimer from a Poketuber (someone who does Pokémon videos on YouTube) as he (SilverLeagueNetworks) always says "Warning! This video may contain potential bias..." before almost every video.

EDIT:

I also now get the video games reference because the shed contains screens, not unlike those used for Wonder Mountain's Guardian or Voyage to the Iron Reef (which are essentially large scale video games)

Rode it in the rain yesterday and didn't regret it.  Its also another good reason why I like the shed is avoiding some of the rain when it starts to downpour...oh I feel so sorry for the very last train that had to sit outside in that.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2017 at 3:44 PM, Zdiddy said:

I really wish the shed had used animatronics instead of projection screens. I understand the theming is a huge step for Cedar Fair but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Even if they just had spinning axes or moving tree branches I would have been satisfied, but a quick animation on a screen looks and feels very cheap. This is a state of the art brand new coaster that was marketed to be highly themed but it falls very short in that department for me. Flight of Fear, Adventure Express and Italian Job all are much better themed (ik Paramount owned the park then but still, these rides are older and technology is so much better now). The actual ride is a grand slam though!

I could not agree more with this, and I'm frankly astounded by any positive reaction to it. The overall theming (including the design of the shed) is great, but the projection screens are embarrassingly bad. The ride needs to end on a high note, and it currently ends on anything but.

I was quite impressed with the speed and smoothness of the ride, though...as was my 6-year-old, who refuses to give any of the other wooden coasters a second chance, and was begging to go on it multiple times. We squeezed in three times yesterday before the 5:00 downpour, and never had to wait more than 45 minutes each time.

• Like 2

The wife and I got our first rides in last night. Rode in row 11 for our first lap. I was incredibly impressed with how well the ride fits into that area of the park. It looks like it has been there forever. Kudos to KI/GCI/everyone else involved for the effort that was put into the design, placement, and construction of the ride. 

As for the ride itself, I loved the pacing, setting, lateral forces, and ample floater air. Night rides on this thing are going to rival Beast. The did feel short to me but I guess that is what you sacrifice to achieve the pacing that this ride has. I was also expecting a little more pull down the first drop in the back. The actual first drop was a bit of a letdown but the rest of the ride was great. 

All in all a great addition to Kings Island that fits the park and it's current lineup beautifully. 

• Like 1

I was prepared for ejector airtime like most GCI's so I was very underwhelmed with the ride. I rode Gold Striker a couple weeks ago so I have a good benchmark for how a good gci feels. This felt a lot more like a family coaster and not a top 3 in the park. Im going to try again today and maybe I will get a better row.