How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

6 hours ago, dragsterguy21 said:

I was prepared for ejector airtime like most GCI's so I was very underwhelmed with the ride. I rode Gold Striker a couple weeks ago so I have a good benchmark for how a good gci feels. This felt a lot more like a family coaster and not a top 3 in the park. Im going to try again today and maybe I will get a better row. 

My friend says he rode it twice yesterday. He says it absolutely sucked (forceless) the first time, then felt like Voyage's spaghetti bowl in terms of intensity the second time. So perhaps it's a pretty temperamental ride with regards to weather, "warming up", and such.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GigaG said:

My friend says he rode it twice yesterday. He says it absolutely sucked (forceless) the first time, then felt like Voyage's spaghetti bowl in terms of intensity the second time. So perhaps it's a pretty temperamental ride with regards to weather, "warming up", and such.

I might agree with this. My first ride was third train of the day on Sunday, and it had very little in the way of forces at that time. Later that day, around 2:30, I rode it again with tjpavlik, and I noticed a distinct difference in the amount of forces. At the time, I chalked it up to where I was sitting (near the middle the first time, back row the second time, but on the right side both times), but it may indeed just need to warm up a bit before giving the best rides.

• Like 1

I was able to ride MT three times yesterday and I have to say I had a blast with it... First time I rode it I was in the middle of the train on the left side. I had a feeling before anything was released about what was actually in the shed that it would mostly just be projection screens. The first ending I got were the bats. The second time I got the front row on the right and got the supposed rare tree ending which was neat to see. The third time I rode it was for my night ride and was row three right side and got the bats again. After riding it three times I have to say I love the ride itself. It is a lot more fun than I thought it would be for me (usually don't ride wooden coasters because of my back) it was extremely smooth and loved all of the side to side action. It seems to go faster than the 53mph speed Stat and I know it is because of all of the turns. I just figured that I wouldn't get to ride it because I don't have a great history with wooden coasters and was fine with that because it meant there was something fun for everyone else to enjoy and help out with the lines of the stuff I do ride.... When some of you told me how smooth it really was I knew I had to try and ride it... I am so glad I did. Best part about it is the longest I waited yesterday was 30 min for the ride.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I rode it three times yesterday and from them I have to say that I like the front of the train much more than the back. I feel like in the front you feel more of ejector airtime while in the back it is more of floatjector. Also, for me at least, the left side feels much more intense than the right. I don't know why this is for me but I'd gladly give up my seat on the right side to sit on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I finally rode it yesterday during my first 2017 visit and I was giggling like a madwoman throughout the entire ride. I rode in the front seat on the left. I can't really say "I loved it" "it's my new favorite" or anything like that but it was definitely fun! the wait time was also a little deceiving, the line didn't look too bad from the front but we didn't notice how nested the queue is, lol

• Like 1

I spent yesterday as well as Friday evening/night at the park, and I was able to ride Mystic Timbers 4 times. It truly is an incredible addition to the park and I loved the ride from the point I first saw its plaza. Everything about it was a homerun for the park, which I'll go ahead and describe in detail.

When the first signs of construction appeared in this area last year, I was very skeptical that a coaster would be placed here. If you would've asked me where I thought KI's next coaster would go, I don't think I would have mentioned this location at all. Then once we got the blueprints, I was still curious about the exact placement since I truly didn't think that spot could successfully work for a new coaster. However, the Planning and Design Team as well as GCI proved me wrong. When the official ride layout was released, I was very impressed with how they integrated a decent length coaster with the woods and existing rides. After seeing and experiencing it in person, I honestly love the location, and it's hard to imagine Mystic Timbers not being there before. 

I love how from the parking lot you can just see the top of the lift hill peeking up, and same with from a few other areas of the park. I love the view standing near the Rivertown LaRosa's. Seeing Diamondback in the foreground with MT's lift hill behind it, it looks really nice and seems like a perfect fit for that area. That wood structure adds a nice focal point when walking towards it from that direction.

I was very impressed with how many trees the park kept, which is especially noticeable from the Eiffel Tower. Rather than clear cutting everything around the ride, the park kept as much foliage as possible that wouldn't interfere with the layout, which I really appreciate. In addition, I give high admiration for the creativity incorporating the ride not only into the woods, but also around the train and White Water Canyon.

Theming

From the moment you come across the entrance plaza, the theming becomes evident and looks really nice in that area of the park. While the two separate panels of the ride sign and the vines that go right down the middle that block some of the letters still really bother me, once you look past that detail everything else is really well done. In the queue itself, I appreciate how it starts as a landscaped meandering path instead of additional back-and-forth queue blocks. From the use of security footage, misc signs themed to the lumber mill, and the shed structures, it's a really nice experience actually waiting in line. I feel like the side of the station and shed facing the queue could have been utilized to add additional signs/theming elements but this is just my personal opinion. As a whole I really love how much the park has stepped up its game in terms of theming and attention to detail.

One of my favorite surprise theming elements was the queue music. I wish they didn't have the FunTVs playing over it at the same time (but thankfully the volume was low), but the creepy/Haunt-esque soundtrack playing in the queue really helped set the tone. I hope to see similar details like this in future Cedar Fair installations. Between this and the conversion of International Street back to orchestral music, I was very impressed.

Another one of my personal favorite theming elements was the detail on the ride trains. The way the truck was incorporated into the front of the trains was brilliant, and I love the weathered look given to them. It definitely completely the feel and look the park was going for. Overall I just really enjoy the lumber mill theme and think the park pulled it off well.

In terms of the storyline, I think the general park-goer won't really pick up on exactly what it is. The audio (both when you first enter the line, when you go up the stairs into the station, and up the lift can all be difficult to hear, especially if you're in a group of people/near people who are talking loudly. However if you can hear it and understand the premise, it's very clever. I especially enjoy the sound effect as you pull out of the station and how the lift hill slows when you're warned not to go in the shed before picking up speed with a screeching noise at the top.

Ride Experience

To start, the Millennium Flyer trains are very comfortable. Like I mentioned before, the lift audio recordings help add to the storyline and get you excited for the ride. The final audio and slow lift at the top really add a nice touch before flying down the first drop. The laterals at the bottom really caught me off guard--I was not expecting to slam into the side of my seat as hard as I did, especially when sitting in the back. 

The ride truly never lets up from when it drops to when it comes back into the brake run. You are constantly out of your seat and flying to the side. It has the perfect mix of airtime and laterals, and per usual with GCI, you get some crazy and unique forces in places where you least expect them. My favorite part of the ride is the little twister section leading up to the tunnel. You really fly all around and it's actually pretty out-of-control and intense. 

I rode in the very front, very back, and twice towards the back. While many reviews I've seen rave about the front row being the best, I have to disagree. I was personally blown away by the back and thought it felt more like a mini Maverick than a family woodie. I'd highly recommend riding in the back at night...that really is an incredible experience and left me breathless.

The shed, as I assume most people have heard by now, is nothing super crazy or but adds a nice touch to what could have been a long, boring end of the ride. I'd much rather have what it is than nothing at all. While I do agree it was overhyped, or that the quality could have been increased to match up to the hype, it's a fun little ending that's better than Adventure Express' (which someone behind me one time compared it to). However, on my very first ride the shed didn't work properly (the lights came on and what was supposed to happen didn't happen--to put it in a way that doesn't give away spoilers). I had already heard what was in the shed so at least I knew that it was a faulty experience but still disappointing for my first ride. However it seemed to be working fine after that and I got 2 of the 3 experiences.

Overall Kings Island has a true winner on their hands. Not only does it provide a great family coaster that younger thrill seekers can ride, but I personally rank it high overall out of my favorites. Each time I rode it, I loved it more and more. I definitely prefer the back to the front, and night rides are significantly better even. The ride does seem to go way faster than 53mph and is filled with unique elements and forces that you can't experience on any other KI coaster (or many coasters at other parks even). Already I'm looking forward to my next visit to ride it some more. Kudos to Kings Island and Cedar Fair for an excellent addition!

• Like 11

^
That may or may not have been me, as me and my sister were at the park yesterday and rode Mystic Timbers for the first time. I don't have as much roller coaster experience as some others here do (I have been to Kings Island, Holiday World, and Indiana Beach many years ago) and as such it was my first GCI, but I can compare it to the other non-GCI wooden coasters I have ridden (which were made by Kings Island themselves, PTC, CCI, and Gravity Group).

This is the best themed coaster I have seen at any of the 3 parks I have been to so far, edging out Flight of Fear for that title. I loved all the little details packed onto the station, que, and even the trains themselves. Millennium Flyer trains are also as amazing as I expected- the PTC trains on every other wooden coaster I have ridden so far are blown away by them. They are so comfy! Also in part thanks to them, the ride is crazy smooth- I thought Banshee was rougher yesterday, if that puts that into perspective! The ride itself was non-stop action from start to finish, with several nice pops of air and many sudden directional changes. The trick track at the end was my favorite element of them all. Then came...DA SHED. (DA DA DUM) I liked it, in a "OMG SO CHEESY" way- it wasn't super crazy or anything, but I did like all the props in the shed, and the visuals on the screens were nice. The music was funny IMO. Hence why I compared it to AE, which has a similar cheesy ending. :P

I only got to ride once (line looked too long when we came back but apparently it was only 30 minutes so I'll have to consider that next time) but I really enjoyed Mystic Timbers. However, I can't say it's my favorite wooden coaster- I rode Beast a few times yesterday, and it's still the clear #1 in my book, and I'd also say I still like Legend & Voyage @ Holiday World better as well (Mystic Timbers does slightly edge out Raven though). Granted the 3 woodies I would take over MT are all also considered world-class by many, so I am probably already spoiled rotten when it comes to woodies. I am looking forward to riding Mystic Timbers again whenever I return to Kings Island, hopefully I can get the other 2 shed versions (I was semi-spoiled a bit on the shed before I rode, sadly).

• Like 5

Mystic Timbers to me comes close to The Beast but the shorter ride length and okay shed ending makes it a close second. I will say that Mystic Timbers is much more thrilling then The Beast in terms of twist, turns and airtime! Two great wooden coasters regardless.

• Like 1

*taps mic* is this thing still on? its been a while since i've been on here :ph34r:

I know i'm late to the party, but I just wanna say what everyone else is saying, which is that Mystic Timbers is fantastic, smooth, and filled with airtime. I would place it at the top of my list of favorite rides at Kings Island, and probably at no. 4 in my list of top favorite rides everywhere. The shed did not disappoint in my opinion, and i think its a great element of the ride. Also, the theming is very well thought out and looks beautiful. One of my favorite things about it is that the line moves very quickly. Almost as quickly as Banshee's line, if I do say so myself, which is outstanding for a woodie like this. Even with the queue almost completely full, i only waited about 1.5 hours. Overall, its a fantastic addition to the park, and I will be riding it a lot this season! 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MaestroJr said:

Mystic Timbers to me comes close to The Beast but the shorter ride length and okay shed ending makes it a close second. I will say that Mystic Timbers is much more thrilling then The Beast in terms of twist, turns and airtime! Two great wooden coasters regardless.

I see Mystic Timbers as sort of like a Woodstock Express for "bigger kids." Granted, I wouldn't take that too literally though. 

I have had the chance to ride Mystic Timbers 3 times so far, each on a different day. First ride came on official opening day as soon as the park opened. Boy did the skies open up right when we got on the ride! Normally this wouldn't bother us but for the first ride it was distracting. 2nd ride was on Easter Sunday with beautiful weather and that was a much different experience (only waited 20 minutes or so mid afternoon!). Also rode this past weekend and it was very cold.

What I really like about this ride:

• Theme:  Really love the theming of this coaster and the fact that it has a unique backstory. The audible warnings and signs are excellent. Love the queue also. The fact that the overhead sign is not "Mystic Timbers" but "Miami River Lumber" is cool, plus the added feature of having the old pickup crashed at the entrance is awesome. This coaster truly keeps with the theme the entire time from queue to exit, not something you see done well anywhere else at KI. 
  • It fits in the overall theme of Rivertown: I appreciate how MT interacts with the train, whitewater canyon, and Diamondback. It enhances the entire area and makes Rivertown more cohesive. 
  • It is very smooth and has a high re-rideability factor. It also feels like you are going faster than you actually are because you are so low to the ground. I have a feeling as the trees become more filled in you will even feel like you are going faster.

What I don't like about MT:

• Hype surrounding the shed: So if I hadn't known anything about the shed prior to riding MT, I would have gotten off my first ride and thought that it was an awesome way to end the experience. HOWEVER, since this was hyped up sooo much, the shed became something that was never going to live up to expectations. After my first ride I was able to better appreciate what the shed actually brings to the ride experience, and not concern myself with the hype.

Overall I would have to rank Mystic Timbers as my #4 favorite coaster at KI.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 2:49 PM, Ride On_17 said:

I'd highly recommend riding in the back at night...that really is an incredible experience and left me breathless.

Same here.

I rode the back row Friday night while it was raining, and it was an unbelievable experience (I personally like it more than the back row of The Beast). I was thrown off guard when it pulled me over the top of the lift. Felt like I was going to come out of my seat. An overall amazing experience at night in the back row especially when it's raining.

A friend of mine mentioned (and a couple of other people) that they cant stop smiling while riding Mystic Timbers. That's where Kings Island and Cedar Fair really scored with this ride.

• Like 8

I had my doubts about Mystic Timbers when it was announced.

I wasn't wild about the name or the coaster itself (based in the rendering). I also figured that the shed wouldn't live up to the hype.

I'm still not wild about the name, but the coaster is pretty awesome.  The rendering didn't even come close to doing it justice.  I think the shed is anticlimactic mich like that of Adventure Express.  Why hype something like?

^ I sorta agree with you on this.  I really wanted the shed to be something amazing, but I figured it probably wouldn't be.  I think the hype was unnecessary and with they would've focused on the coaster itself.  They didn't have all that hype surrounding Banshee and they still had a 5 hour wait for that coaster on opening day.  People will come out to ride the coaster, you don't need to create artificial hype around it.  I think if they would've just advertised the coaster and not even mentioned the shed, it would've been such a cool surprise that it would've driven people crazy.  However, when you create a hashtag called WhatsInTheShed and let it run for 7 or 8 months, people's imaginations start running wild and expectations become unrealistic.  In my personal opinion, I think I might like the final Adventure Express tunnel better than the shed.  However, if given the choice between just an empty, exposed brake run and a themed shed, of course I'd pick the shed.  I think it gives a semi-unique quality to the ride and obviously gives us something to look at instead of just sitting on a brake run bored.  I do love the ride though and am pleased with the overall theming of the whole area, including the queue.  I think it's one of the best themes we've gotten in a long time.  It's just too bad the shed didn't live up to the hype that was created.

My thoughts on what's seen in the shed:

I do think the shed ending is anti-climactic and the cheesy 2D projections of 3D animations just fall flat and didn't scare/surprise me in the least.  If it were projected in 3D and we were wearing 3D glasses, it might be more interesting than it is, but of course something like that would never happen on a roller coaster.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Voicetek said:

^ I sorta agree with you on this.  I really wanted the shed to be something amazing, but I figured it probably wouldn't be.  I think the hype was unnecessary and with they would've focused on the coaster itself.  They didn't have all that hype surrounding Banshee and they still had a 5 hour wait for that coaster on opening day.  People will come out to ride the coaster, you don't need to create artificial hype around it.  I think if they would've just advertised the coaster and not even mentioned the shed, it would've been such a cool surprise that it would've driven people crazy.  However, when you create a hashtag called WhatsInTheShed and let it run for 7 or 8 months, people's imaginations start running wild and expectations become unrealistic.  In my personal opinion, I think I might like the final Adventure Express tunnel better than the shed.  However, if given the choice between just an empty, exposed brake run and a themed shed, of course I'd pick the shed.  I think it gives a semi-unique quality to the ride and obviously gives us something to look at instead of just sitting on a brake run bored.  I do love the ride though and am pleased with the overall theming of the whole area, including the queue.  I think it's one of the best themes we've gotten in a long time.  It's just too bad the shed didn't live up to the hype that was created.

My thoughts on what's seen in the shed:

Reveal hidden contents

I appreciate the shed for what it is...a shady, climate controlled place to sit when trains are stacked.  My husband and I said the same about the whole #whatsintheshed deal, they shouldn't have done it at all.  It's as if the shed was the focus rather than the ride itself.  KIC is about the only place I see positive feedback on the shed.  Overheard conversations at the exit and in lines on other rides, feedback seemed more....meh.

My 9-year-old step-son, who is terrified of the final Adventure Express tunnel, rode MT on Saturday.  My husband said that he seemed scared at the beginning, but as soon as it was over he says "that's it?".

• Like 2

I do think they overindulged the mystery of the shed in the marketing. Advertising is a double edged sword. The goal is to sell people a product and put its name out there. And if you oversell something, it tends to rub people negatively as they often feel mislead. Expectations are weird like that. 

However, I did like the idea of giving a ride some sort of mysterious edge. I like the idea of what was in the shed, but if KI goes this route again, I hope they go all out. 

• Like 3

The thing I struggle for the overhyped train thing is that it's not for those who go to Kings Island a lot...it's not for the season pass holders or even the regular GP visitors....it's for those who get to the park once. It's a tag line to get folks into the park that wouldn't go to the park prior to seeing/hearing the campaign. 

• Like 6

^you do have a point. As much as I've heard people lambasting the shed, I've not heard anyone say they won't be back because it was overhyped (even in all the hyperbole tossed around). On the other hand, I have heard mentions and questions about #WhatsInTheShed from people who are not frequent KI guests. So it did work on broadness of interest. I don't know if it got many in the park who wouldn't have otherwise, but it may continue to reverberate. 

"You went to KI last weekend? What was in that shed they've been talking about?" "Oh, the shed wasn't much but you've got to ride this coaster!"

• Like 4

Chris hit it! Bring in more once a year visitors, they ride MT and see #whatsintheshed. They hear about more things in the shed. They ride again later to see what is different. They get off excited and buy MT swag, ride a few more things, get an extra meal for the day. Then they might as well stay to watch the fireworks and get the kids light up toys. Get some candy/fudge on the way out. In park spending for that family was more than doubled/tippled for the day. I have had co-works and friends that rarely/don't visit KI ask about the shed. They are curious enough to get them talking and want to experience it.  In that regard it has been hyped the way they wanted it to.

The above scenario is exactly what you want as an enthusiast. If the marketing works as expected, we are then that much closer to getting another big ride for the park. Everyone can have an opinion about the shed, but saying it was due to being to "hyped" I feel they set their own expectations to high.

• Like 7

I figured the whole time that it would be a dark ride type ending, so it really wasn't that much of a surprise and while I do think it may have been a bit overhyped in ads, with #whatsintheshed being on all merchandise before and after the rides opening, I think that the previous statements are correct in that Kings Island wants as many as possible to ride Mystic Timbers and when they do, I think they'll agree that it's a fantastic ride! I certainly have enjoyed Mystic Timbers and I know most everybody else has too.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Joshua said:

I understand the goals of marketing, trying to drive less-than-casuals to be straight up enthusiasts. I just don't think that makes marketing infallible and above criticism. 

If you are refering to my post, I never said marketing can't be wrong or can't be criticized. That was not my point at all.

What I am saying is I don't think their maketing strategy can be contributed to a persons opinion or expectation of the shed.  To say it was to "hyped" I would call an excuse to a person being let down or expecting more. I will explain my thought process below.

Looking back at the whole offseason up to opening day, we only saw a hashtag that said #Whatsintheshed. Yes it was promoted and used a lot all offseason. Maybe some can critisize its overuse?  Now tell me how using a hashtag for 6 months with no clue to the contents by the park somehow set any expectation for anyone other than there is "something" in the shed?

Anyone who wanted to think about its contents came up with ideas in their own mind about what was in the shed. That is where the expectation was set.

If it was just a shed with a handful of plastic snakes from a dollar store, that would have been a "something." Would that not have meet the crteria of the hashtag and park? 

I am not asking anyone to not have their own opinion, or not to (respectfully) criticize what is in the shed. I just respectfully disagree with the statement. "I was let down or expected more because it was to hyped."

• Like 4

I think the overhype came as much from fans and enthusiasts as it did the park.  I think the marketing was smart in that it got people interested in talking about a coaster that didn't break any records.  If you remember when the first povs came out many people were talking about how the ride didn't look that exciting but they wanted to know what was in the shed.  The marketing worked and we got an exceptional ride.

I'll get crucified for this opinion, I'm sure.  Maybe KI pulled a modified Storm Chaser with the Mystic Timbers announcement.  I remember many were let down by the animation (even though it was much better than Storm Chaser's announcement animation!).  So maybe they presented an underwhelming version of the ride, but build up the shed component, when in reality the coaster was much better than the shed.  Most people I have talked to said the same about Storm Chaser--underwhelm and overdeliver.

But...I really like the shed as it's a creative solution for a brake run and transfer track.

• Like 1