How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

The difference there was the park never showed what was in the shed in the promos. Whereas, they created a campaign to get people talking about Mystic Timbers through #WhatsInTheShed.

Storm Chaser's promo was literally just a NoLimits rendering of the ride with no teasing of hey something cool is going to happen here. 

I don't think it's a fair comparison. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

^you do have a point. As much as I've heard people lambasting the shed, I've not heard anyone say they won't be back because it was overhyped (even in all the hyperbole tossed around). On the other hand, I have heard mentions and questions about #WhatsInTheShed from people who are not frequent KI guests. So it did work on broadness of interest. I don't know if it got many in the park who wouldn't have otherwise, but it may continue to reverberate. 

"You went to KI last weekend? What was in that shed they've been talking about?" "Oh, the shed wasn't much but you've got to ride this coaster!"

A few nights ago, I was out for dinner with my mom (who rarely rides coasters and only goes to KI about once every other season), and she was asking me about the shed. So yeah, it's got people talking.

• Like 2

The shed was pretty much what I expected.  I mean, based on the name, I did envision some animatronic gnomes, fairies, and trees or something....but overall, anticlimatic.  So, thinking the shed was overhyped has nothing to do with being let down. 

The ride as a whole turned out to be better than I expected, though it isn't a must ride for me.

9 hours ago, chugh43 said:

The difference there was the park never showed what was in the shed in the promos. Whereas, they created a campaign to get people talking about Mystic Timbers through #WhatsInTheShed.

Storm Chaser's promo was literally just a NoLimits rendering of the ride with no teasing of hey something cool is going to happen here. 

I don't think it's a fair comparison. 

I've got to be that guy: Mystic Timbers's promo was in NoLimits, too.

Your point's still valid. I just wanted to be a pain in the rear. :P

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I've got to be that guy: Mystic Timbers's promo was in NoLimits, too.

Your point's still valid. I just wanted to be a pain in the rear. :P

At least for MT there was some background and scenery added in. It actually looked like the park. I had never seen the storm chaser announcement until I heard about it in this thread, and couldn't believe that was the official announcement lol!

• Like 1

Another thing I'll say is that the park really didn't hype the shed over the ride itself. 

From the beginning, the park spoke about the airtime moments, the speed, the interactions with other rides, the footage of the coaster, the height, etc. before even speaking about the shed.

Many are forgetting during the announcement the Park showed a video of the ride that ended with #WhatsInTheShed. When the video was over, the pretty much stated, you'll have to wait until the ride is open to find out what's in the shed. In the video they showed twice, it shared the different stats about the ride.....in a press release the shed isn't even talked about once.... (https://mystictimbers.visitkingsisland.com/explore-the-woods/press-release

The simple use of #WhatsInTheShed is simply the tagline/slogan for the ride....yes, it was used in Social Media and news reports....however, any of the information placed around it was mainly focused on the ride itself. #WhatsInTheShed is simply like Red Robin.....Yummm. It doesn't give you any information about the ride or restaurant. 

Anyone who looked at #WhatsInTheShed as a way of over hyping the experience simply over hyped it themselves. I've re-read through some of this chat and some wanted the park to focus on the ride over the shed....which....you know is what they did. The press release is from the very beginning and does not mention the shed. Anytime the ride was on the news, it was not teased by Don or another representative of the park, the representative from a news station asked, "whats in the shed" and the respective party answered almost every time you'll have to wait until the ride opens to experience.

I still stand by my point that the campaign is not for the enthusiasts nor the regular attendees of KI, but for those who may come once a year. Maybe it's time we at KIC take a step back and look to see where we hyped it ourselves by the threads/comments guessing what could be in the shed, hoping it'd be something we had a dream about, hoping it'd be something that has never been done before, etc. 

I wonder how many folks here actually realize how many hours went into the shed in and of itself. How many hours went into, hanging materials on the walls, installing features, installing ___ (for those of you who haven't written I won't disclose that but if you have written you should know what I'm talking about), installing controls, programming the ride as well as the shed area, the music, the lighting, etc? I wonder how many (I know roughly) KIC members went into helped in some aspect with the shed, how many companies that helped with the shed (and these companies have enthusiast on their staff) spent time doing one of the things at the beginning of this paragraph, etc.? 

It's one thing to not like the final product, but to say the park over hyped it and essentially saying it's nothing worth writing home about is false and to be completely honest, disrespectful to the park, the staff, the companies who worked on this project because the shed isn't what we think it should be. Be thankful that we actually have a new wooden coaster that fits well in our collection, that many can ride and that doesn't leave you baking out in the sun on the brake run. 

• Like 11

^I agree that the park didn't hype the shed outright, but they did pull off a genius strategy in order to build up suspense, which hyped up the shed and therefore the ride.

I do remember people complaining about the ride animation.  I am not into the programs that do animations, but even though it was done professionally, I don't think it did the actual ride justice.  But then again, how can a computer simulation deliver something exciting as the real thing?  Banshee's animation, in my opinion, was closer to the actual ride experience.  But even that is nothing like riding it or seeing it in front of your eyes. 

I was not let down with the shed, and as I said, I think it is a great solution to a normally bland brake run and transfer track. 

My point with my post was that with both rides, I think KI and KK did underpromise and overdeliver with the final products they built.

• Like 1

Anybody who asked me at the very beginning, "what do you think is in the shed?" I replied "screens."

Hearing others get all excited about the vast number of possibilities, over the fall and winter, I personally still pretty much stuck to my initial belief. I'm definitely one who loves speculation, but I have to admit the park itself wasn't overhyping the shed or I probably would have started to think there would be a lot more to it.

And while I was fundamentally correct about the screens, I've still been impressed by the implementation and by the bits that happen in addition to what goes on the screens. And I'm really looking forward to the possibilities of what additional things they could do in the future. 

• Like 8

I think people are taking the word "overhyped" a little too seriously (and a little too negatively). 

For me, it is like Rogue One. When they advertised the film, there was a shot of Jyn Erso going up against a Tie Fighter. It was what people call the "money shot" for the trailer. A final moment that is supposed to pique your interest, drive your curiosity, and have you dying to know how it plays out. I go to the movie, it is not there. Was the movie good? Absolutely. Was I disappointed because the scene was cut? Yes. But does that mean it's a criticism? No.  The shed, of course, wasn't cut. But it was a significant part of the campaign and the natural implication was that "#whatsintheshed?" would be significant. Having said that.....

From the park's point of view, what is actually in the shed was significant, which is why they hyped it. (Yes they did.) It is actually hype-worthy too. They created a rollercoaster with a story. They gave the shed some variety so your experience wasn't entirely the same every time. And what they made it in a way that allows for more variety, such as additional "monsters" and seasonal changes. 

• Like 1

We have beat the "hyped" horse enough. Let's get back on topic, which is "How was your ride on Mystic Timbers."

Please share your opinions and thoughts of your ride experience, theming, and of course your experiences in the shed. 

With over 20 laps on MT, I have started to watch others expressions as they experience the shed. A girl was genuinely scared when she saw the red eyes on my last ride.

Like during the first rider acution, I try to get people clapping to the beat of the songs. That just adds to the fun at the end of an awesone coaster ride.

• Like 5

So, I rode twice yesterday and finally got to ride all three trains as well as...

see that final shed scene that I'd been missing. The giant tree is more cool than scary, and I was wondering why there were all those ants before the fluorescent tree popped out at us. I think the tree one is the coolest, but The Bat scene may be the "scariest". EDIT: I also heard a new song I hadn't heard before in the shed, but I forgot what it was.

Also, I rode WWC yesterday and Mystic Timbers looks amazing from Canyon's queue. While the serene woods feel was nice and made it seem out of the way, I love Mystic Timbers too much to be upset about it imposing over the landscape. :) I just wish I would have taken some pictures back there 'cause it's so beautiful.

• Like 2

It was a pleasure to see such a well trained and caring staff really putting effort into getting people moving so fast.  Thank you. 

The ride is amazing.  Cannot wait to ride it again a few times to really let it sink in.  Sensory overload with so much to see for the 2 minutes! 

Shed?  IMO people will forget the whole promotion of it in a few years and treat the ride for what it is:  awesome. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Sythe said:

Please get Beyonce off of there. She doesn't even deserve to be rated over a Vekoma SLC.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This is going to become a flame war real fast. :)  But I agree and replace with Zelda: Breath of the Wild.    *ducks*

I also would replace Chucky with Halo Top Birthday Cake.  *entering protective services*  

And who the hell is Neil Peart?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

This is going to become a flame war real fast. :)  But I agree and replace with Zelda: Breath of the Wild.    *ducks*

I also would replace Chucky with Halo Top Birthday Cake.  *entering protective services*  

And who the hell is Neil Peart?

Neal Peart is the drummer for Rush.  One of the top 5 drummers to walk the planet. 

As far as the shed if they don't start doing random Rick-Rolls I'll be disappointed.  That would be EPIC!

• Like 5

That scale is awesome, TB! :lol: I take it you really like Beyonce and tornados... If I had a scale, you'd better believe it would have some Pokemon on it. In fact, some of the benchmarks might be Magikarp -> Slaking -> Celebi -> Snorlax -> Grotle -> Blastoise in Sunglasses (this chart would likely be a work in progress...)

• Like 2

I haven't seen it yet, but I was expecting projections, being that the theme would be changing per ride, as with the music.

It would be nice to have the silhouette animated projections like on Disney rides, but that's not going to happen at a small park.

• Like 2

After riding a bunch more times yesterday, I have two small complaints about Mystic Timbers' restraints.

One is that the seatbelts need to be wrapped around the t-bar and connected for any seat without a rider, presumably because they don't retract and the metal ends could hurt someone if allowed to just flap around. This slows down loading (for those having to unwrap a previously unoccupied seat) and restraint checking (because it takes time to do the wrapping). 

Second is that the t-bars are top heavy and move very easily. So, if they "down bar" while you are still fumbling with the seatbelt, the chances of getting smacked in a knee by the center bar of a falling restraint are surprisingly high. 

• Like 4

On older GCI rides with Millennium Flyers, there's one seatbelt that goes across the rider(s). It eliminates that "loose seatbelt" issue altogether.

I don't know why the change was made to individual seatbelts. I also don't know why they just can't be buckled without looping around the restraint and tightened to remove slack. It accomplishes the same task without the complication of wrapping around the restraint. Holiday World does the same thing (or at least used to; I haven't been since 2014 or 2015.) Perhaps it's some kind of industry standard?

• Like 2