How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

On 4/26/2017 at 9:33 PM, meshi1962 said:

What I like about the shed is its versatility. Maybe there will be additional overlays coming. I'm excited to see if there is an HH overlay or even a WF overlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Evil Santas and Evil Reindeers for Winterfest! Jk.

• Like 3

... and this is why I'm curious to know what's in the shed come Winterfest. The thing is, do I want to know?... :unsure:

-MDMC, who was terrified of Santa as a kid and still has his qualms about what scariness could be lurking in the shed around Winterfest (though I did meet Evil Santa (Haunt) and he's actually a really nice guy! :D).

• Like 2

I've got a question for those of you lucky ones who have ridden Mystic Timbers--I read that there are no bins for bag storage so a locker is necessary. Do they allow any kind of bags on the ride. My roommate and I have season passes and we were planning on leaving our normal stuff in the car until after our ride, but I have one of those tiny wallet bags (I can attach a picture if that would help) or I could procure (god forbid) a...fanny pack...for putting things like my glasses and wallet in. Do any of you know if I could get away with one of these? 

• Like 1

They are being pretty strict about no loose articles, which I believe includes purses, bags, etc.  If it will fit in a pocket, then it is not an issue.  I think a fanny pack would work, as long you can still strap in.  Not to ruin the ride, but it does toss you around, so glasses may have an issue.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

... and this is why I'm curious to know what's in the shed come Winterfest. The thing is, do I want to know?... :unsure:

-MDMC, who was terrified of Santa as a kid and still has his qualms about what scariness could be lurking in the shed around Winterfest (though I did meet Evil Santa (Haunt) and he's actually a really nice guy! :D).

Or the (s)Headless Horseman overlay. I know that's terrible 

• Like 1

They are being pretty strict about no loose articles, which I believe includes purses, bags, etc.  If it will fit in a pocket, then it is not an issue.  I think a fanny pack would work, as long you can still strap in.  Not to ruin the ride, but it does toss you around, so glasses may have an issue.

Here's the solution for glasses:

Chums Original Cotton Large End Eyewear Retainer, Black (3 Pack)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019UB1HEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SAZdzbE53ZSZD
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Avalon12 said:

I've got a question for those of you lucky ones who have ridden Mystic Timbers--I read that there are no bins for bag storage so a locker is necessary. Do they allow any kind of bags on the ride. My roommate and I have season passes and we were planning on leaving our normal stuff in the car until after our ride, but I have one of those tiny wallet bags (I can attach a picture if that would help) or I could procure (god forbid) a...fanny pack...for putting things like my glasses and wallet in. Do any of you know if I could get away with one of these? 

I heard a couple people say not even fanny packs are allowed. A solution also would maybe be similar a running belt that goes under the shirt so they wouldn't see it. 

• Like 1

Second is that the t-bars are top heavy and move very easily. So, if they "down bar" while you are still fumbling with the seatbelt, the chances of getting smacked in a knee by the center bar of a falling restraint are surprisingly high. 

I think before the ride opened, a lot of us on here talked about "automatically lowering lapbars," which I think was often mistaken as just this: top heavy lapbars falling into a rider's lap. The thing is, they're awfully inconsistent. Some lapbars on the train do fall, but some don't. Seems tediously annoying.

• Like 1

I heard a couple people say not even fanny packs are allowed. A solution also would maybe be similar a running belt that goes under the shirt so they wouldn't see it. 

I've seen those, thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Italian Job 2005 said:

I think before the ride opened, a lot of us on here talked about "automatically lowering lapbars," which I think was often mistaken as just this: top heavy lapbars falling into a rider's lap. The thing is, they're awfully inconsistent. Some lapbars on the train do fall, but some don't. Seems tediously annoying.

I've noticed on the Millennium Flyers that I've ridden do this. Some automatically come down and some have to be brought down...just depends on the train/the station/where the restraint was left when the previous person exited the train.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Avalon12 said:

I've seen those, thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

My wife and I use the running belts.  It will hold my phone, gold passes, car key, credit card.  It is very low profile.  We wear them under our shirts and have never had any issues with Banshee, Firehawk, or MT.

• Like 4

Took my first night AND front seat ride on MT Saturday night. 

I've ridden it about 5 times now and have usually been near the back. I have to say, I loved the front seat. Seemed to get much more airtime up there, and of course, it's always great to have nobody in front of you. I'll be asking to wait for the front more often, for sure.

I was slightly disappointed with the night ride, though it may have been because it was a very clear night. So it wasn't quite as dark as it can get when there are clouds or the moon is not very bright. I was hoping for a more out of control, "I can't see where I'm going," type of ride, but it was all still very visible. The shed looked more ominous in the dark though. 

So, at the moment, I'd need to give my night ride nod to The Beast. But, it was just my 1st one, so we'll see how it goes on subsequent rides.

• Like 3

On May 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Melody said:

Well I had a fanny pack, maybe I got a decent ride attendant. He told me just to wear it to the side and I'd be fine.

• Like 2

Besides the shed, I am honestly disappointed with the "story" as well. I could honestly tell you nothing about what the story is.

First of all, why in the world do they have to put a FunTV in the queue? If KI wants to immerse you in a theme, why would you have pop music playing amidst the specially composed score and other videos of the woods that are supposed to build up the story? It is highly distracting, not to mention, if we are actually in some lumber company's shed, why the heck is there a FunTV in it? 

Also, even with the videos they show of the people in the woods, I have absolutely no clue what is happening. I can't hear anything, and the line moves too quickly to even see half of what happens. Plus, there is very little theming other than that. There's two signs that say "Hearing Protection Required" and "This Many Days Since An Accident" or whatever it is...that's it. And a bunch of wood. I was looking forward to an actually themed queue. There's not much going for it.

And lastly - this is coming from a ride op who has to do spieling himself and understands that KI employees all spiel - but the spieling on Mystic RUINS everything. My favorite feature is the ignition sound when the ride starts, but it's droned out by "THAT ALL CLEAR SENDS YOU GUYS OUT OF HERE, ENJOY YOUR RIDE ON MYSTIC TIMBERS!!!!" and after we've "survived" the shed all you hear is "WELCOME BACK RIDERS HOW WAS THAT RIIIIIIIIDE?!"

If Kings Island ever wants to have a ride with complete immersion, they need to cut the small things that ruin it all - FunTV's, spieling, lack of storytelling, lazy theming, etc...

Sorry for the rant.

Continue discussion.

• Like 7

^ While I don't 100% agree with all of your above points (I think I actually have the story down pretty well, it's simple but good), I agree with a good majority of what you're saying.

I've complained about it before, but FunTV... I get it. I'm sure it generates some ad revenue, I don't mind it in the majority of the queues... but I really do not like it in the "themed" queues... This and Boo Blasters in particular. It can be a nice distraction in some, but in the queues that at least try to be themed and build atmosphere, it is terrible. Hearing pop music play over the themed music score just does not work. And Boo Blasters, which looks surprisingly good this year, why is there two TVs playing music in a haunted castle? I know this isn't Disney or Universal, but there are easy/inexpensive improvements that can go a long way.

And completely agree with the you on the spieling... It needs to go away on all rides. Bring back pre-recorded spiels PLEASE or at least give them a script. I'm glad the ride ops are enjoying themselves, but way too often it's just obnoxious and many times on the smaller or older rides, the ride ops mocking the ride they work. Sometimes it works (Beast at night) but more often than not spieling is annoying, and just cheapens the experience.

I kind of disagree with you on the queue in general though... while it could definitely be more immersive, I love the route they took with it, making it a winding path with wooden fences (and some standard switchbacks) as opposed to all switchbacks. And I think it'll look very nice when some of the foliage grows in a bit more.

To sum it up... I love Kings Island doing a story based attraction again and hope for more in the future, but it would be nice to see them go a little more "in" on it.

• Like 5

In reply to Jdawg and Delirium13's post, I agree that MT's story is a bit hard to follow, but IMO, it's just enough to get it (plus, I like the queue's theming and even the shed's grown on me!). Even though I really enjoyed the absence of FunTV for my first few rides, its presence isn't all that disruptive; especially since those TV's are turned off (with only the FunTV audio playing). I don't believe there was ever security cam footage on the TV's near the woodshed queues (where FunTV is now), was there?

As I've said before, I love Mystic Timbers and I'm glad finally we have a GCI in the park! Having ridden in all three trains, I like each train in a different way; Green is my favorite color, Blue is the color of water, and orange is a friendly guy trying his best to get you to the end, all while enjoying a raucous ride in the woods. All and all, I'll say this: there's a reason why MT is in my Top 3 (coasters at KI)! :D

• Like 3

I must be mistaken, I guess I didn't notice the TVs in the woodshed area on gold pass night or on opening day. Could've sworn they were security footage, but could definitely see that maybe they were just turned off and I passed them by. I really just hate that they went through so much work to build up the story and now we have some mediocre pop songs playing over the theme music. It was really only noticeable near the screen in my experience but still killed the mood.

That all being said, don't get me wrong. I love this ride. I love that they themed it like they did. And I honestly enjoy the shed a ton, I think it's a lot of fun. But there are improvements that could be made very easily.

• Like 3

^You have to think about the GP though. I have friends and family that would much rather play Banshee Shuffle than watch TV screens with people in the woods. Overall, Kings Island did a good job appealing to both enthusiasts and those who just want to ride MT for the thrills and not for the story

• Like 3

Story? I just equated the whole deal with hill hopping in Southwest Ohio and going on one of those storied roads like Weir Road or Hill Street. 

Yes, there is a Hill Street. I saw this Huge! white owl in the middle of the road one night in 1982 when I was hill hopping with my cousin.

• Like 2

I finally got to ride Mystic Timbers and wow! I loved every bit of it. We even rode WWC to get a better look at it. The shed was even neat. Mostly because it keeps you out of the sun. Unlike Firehawk....... 

Unlike Firehawk is right. As much as I enjoy Firehawk on the sunny days it feels like I'm on a rotisserie especially when you're on your back going up the lift hill. On another note- I'm stoked I'll finally be able to form an opinion of Mystic Timbers as I will be riding it for the first time on Friday.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 6:46 PM, jdawg1998 said:

"THAT ALL CLEAR SENDS YOU GUYS OUT OF HERE, ENJOY YOUR RIDE ON MYSTIC TIMBERS!!!!" and after we've "survived" the shed all you hear is "WELCOME BACK RIDERS HOW WAS THAT RIIIIIIIIDE?!"

No offense to the employees as I 'm sure they are told to say this, but PLEASE stop asking my how my ride was!  It gets very old very quickly. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Coca-ColaParking said:

My ride was a bit disappointing. Could not quite get the click I needed to ride. I've lost quite a bit of weight, but I guess not quite enough yet! Gonna try again for every ten pounds I lose until I can fit. Had high hopes....

Best of luck to you!!

• Like 1

I've been on it about 20 times and its amazing each time, one of the most airtime filled rides out there, honestly I think its an easy second or even first place at the park. I don't think there is one it of straight track besides the break run and station  

• Like 1