How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

Finally got to ride MT last Friday (June 9).  Better than I thought it would be.  Very, very clever theming.  Best queue since Adventure Express - actual thought put into it, not just aluminum railings sunk into cement.  I really like how it interacts with its surroundings.  Not to mention the coaster itself is amazing.  Non-stop, constant changes in direction, and easy on the body.  I'm going to go so far to say that it's almost too good.  Kings Island didn't seem to "need" this ride, it's almost like a gift.  Personally, if I could have imagined what I would have liked to have them build, it would have been something just like this.  

Installs like this are what put Kings Island on the map.  Outstanding job, Kings Island!!!

• Like 8

The ride was down for a little today, i waited outside by the truck and got to hear a lot of the radio station tracks it does, i think its really cool touch to have the radio quality music and old KI advertising playing on it. Really is a bummer though to have the cool ambient music in the line being mashed up with the FunTV audio though, takes me out of the atmosphere 

• Like 5

The ride was down for a little today, i waited outside by the truck and got to hear a lot of the radio station tracks it does, i think its really cool touch to have the radio quality music and old KI advertising playing on it. Really is a bummer though to have the cool ambient music in the line being mashed up with the FunTV audio though, takes me out of the atmosphere 

Make sure to let the park know this. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

This is a little random, but here it goes. If they ever decide to put new music in the shed, my request would be to play Michael Jackson song, Beat it. I think it fits the theme because two times they warn you don't go in the shed. What do you guys think? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

^^ Mr. T will be dead to me if they do that.   :P   But I suppose I could survive with some preemptive ibuprofen.   

I don't want to to change a thing. I would not add Beat it if I was in charge of the shed. 

• Like 4

Here are my thoughts...

The ride experience itself is pretty amazing. I've been on several GCI's and this is absolutely the best - and yes - this includes comparing it to the almighty Thunderhead.

I have mixed feelings on the shed. The first time I rode it (I got the tree) I thought it was incredibly stupid, but I had heard that they worked on the timing so I gave it another chance a few days later. This was a big improvement and the screen in front is kind of a neat jump scare at this point. On the other hand, I feel like a lot more could have been done with the waiting area. I get the point of it, but I think the vast majority of riders just find it confusing. 

Over all, what a great addition!!

• Like 1

I rode it a few times yesterday. The ride was a lot of fun, it was a nice addition to the park. I don't think they should have advertised the shed quite as heavily. I guess I didn't really get it, it seemed like it was just random CGI monsters popping out on the screen. The ride itself was great though.

• Like 1

I thought it was outstanding, and blew away my expectations going in.  Got a few night rides in, even one close to midnight.  After it's been running all day and the speed it maintained was amazing, as the train was ripping it up to the shed.  The POV does not do it justice at all. Coasters like this with an speedy, out control feeling combined with ejector air are my favorite. There were even some excellent laterals in the far turnaround. 

Tough for me to really rank coasters, but it's in my top tier along with Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, and Boulder Dash.  My 2nd tier would be the likes of Phoenix, Shivering Timbers, GE Comet, Raven, and Legend, and I'd pick this in a second over those. Might just be because my last ride near midnight was just plain insane in terms of speed. Hope it's even breaking-in in a little and yields that through the year. 

As for the Shed.. Meh. 

My favorite ride in the park, with Beast at night being my favorite "Experience" still. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The more I ride Mystic Timbers, the more I like it.  The more I like it, the more curious I get about it.  The more curious I get, the more things I find.  On YouTube, there is the official soundtrack to the ride.  From that, I found a recording that someone did of the audio from the truck.  Holy smokes, they went all out in the theming details of this ride!  A Coast-to-Coast style radio call in show, inferences to the blonde headed ghost in the blue dress and her mischevious ways, and on an on.  Way more detail than I had ever picked up on.  This, in turn, makes the shed make much more sense.

It seems that the park is really giving what many of us want:  An actual themed coaster.  Good music on I-Street.  Winterfest.  Food--they are working on it. ;)  Color me impressed.

• Like 7

I had pretty high expectations, and quite honestly I think Mystic Timbers exceeded them. I loved the theme. The entrance just gives a gloomy feel to it with the truck and a person warning you not to enter. As for the ride, I absolutely loved it. All the airtime and felt out of control, and I especially enjoyed it at night. It irks me, however, when I look at POV videos on Youtube and the comments are always something like "We waited 8 months for this!?"

• Like 6

My wife and I decided to ride out to KI for a few hours Friday night.  Great decision!  Although it was rather humid, the lines were non-existent.  Mystic Timbers had about a 10 minute wait all evening, so we took advantage of that and rode it a couple times while we were there.

We FINALLY got to experience Mystic Timbers at night with our first true night ride.  We got to ride it a month or two ago at dusk, but it wasn't quite dark yet.  However, this time it was completely dark and it was amazing!  I still think The Beast is my favorite night ride, but Mystic Timbers is right up there with it.  The way the track twists and turns is so much more unexpected at night since you can't really see the track all that well - it makes it even more exciting!

Let's talk about the shed - about 98% of the time we ride we get the "Bats" ending.  Does it seem that they play that ending the most, or do we have just really sucky luck?  The other 2% we've gotten the snakes.  We've never ever seen the Tree ending.  We even went one weekday afternoon and decided to ride it over and over to try to catch the different endings.  However we had no luck.  Just a bunch of bats over and over with the occasional snake.  We're hoping to catch the tree ending at some point this season.  I guess we'll keep trying!

Mystic Timbers is a great coaster though.  I love how fast and smooth it is, and the way it tosses you around is fantastic.  I also love the interaction with White Water Canyon and the smell of the water as you get further back into the woods.  All in all it's just a great experience!

• Like 2

I first rode MT on Saturday May 20th. It was a great ride. We went right for MT for the first ride of the day. I am a sucker for really tall and really faster coaster but this was pretty sweet. TBH i'm more excited for what Mean Streak is turning into.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voicetek said:

Let's talk about the shed - about 98% of the time we ride we get the "Bats" ending.  Does it seem that they play that ending the most, or do we have just really sucky luck?  The other 2% we've gotten the snakes.  We've never ever seen the Tree ending.  We even went one weekday afternoon and decided to ride it over and over to try to catch the different endings.  However we had no luck.  Just a bunch of bats over and over with the occasional snake.  We're hoping to catch the tree ending at some point this season.  I guess we'll keep trying!

Interesting. I've had the snake almost every time (which is about half a dozen times). I've only seen The Bat once, and never the tree.

• Like 1

I had friends recently say they rode something like 11 times and never got to see the tree, on the same day I rode three times and got the tree twice.  I had been under the impression they increased the tree frequency because I've gotten it so often lately! 

I would have to say over the entire season so far, I've gotten bats more often than the others. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I had friends recently say they rode something like 11 times and never got to see the tree, on the same day I rode three times and got the tree twice.  I had been under the impression they increased the tree frequency because I've gotten it so often lately! 

I would have to say over the entire season so far, I've gotten bats more often than the others. 

For me I'd say it's the snakes although I have rode Mystic Timbers about 12 times and have only gotten the tree twice I believe. 

• Like 1

I got the tree twice last week on the four rides I had.

Something I have been chewing on:  The teaser video tells the story about the truck running away from the mystery.  But it had ALOT of the medusa-like vines.  Like, vines everywhere.  Engulfing just about everything at the park.  Yet on the actual coaster, the vines are pretty scarce.  Yes, there are some, but not very medusa-like.  Anybody reading this post have any thoughts?

• Like 2

I feel like I have had a pretty even distribution of songs throughout all my rides this season. However, it also seems like I will hit the same one more than the others over my rides within a day or week, before changing to a different one.

Riding at the end of the night a couple times, when the train I was on was held in the shed while the ride ops locked all the belts on the previous (now empty) train, I discovered what happens when you're in there long enough for an entire song to play. There is a "winding down" sound, a pause, and then it starts back up again! :)

• Like 3

I was at Kings Island last week (2nd visit this season), and even though I've already commented about MT, I really wanted to again.  It is just so good.  From beginning to end.  I swear, somehow, you are virtually lifted out of your seat the entire ride.  I've never ridden anything that engages you from beginning to end the way it does.  The terrain, the trees, the traversing of WWC, the theme, just everything...it has almost ruined me for everything else in the park.  Like I said before, it's almost too good.  It's not the tallest, longest, fastest, or most thrilling (debatable, though), but I think it is the most fun ride in the park.  

• Like 1