How was your ride on Mystic Timbers?

malem

On 5/7/2017 at 10:07 AM, Avalon12 said:

I've got a question for those of you lucky ones who have ridden Mystic Timbers--I read that there are no bins for bag storage so a locker is necessary. Do they allow any kind of bags on the ride. My roommate and I have season passes and we were planning on leaving our normal stuff in the car until after our ride, but I have one of those tiny wallet bags (I can attach a picture if that would help) or I could procure (god forbid) a...fanny pack...for putting things like my glasses and wallet in. Do any of you know if I could get away with one of these? 

Fanny packs are okay, we usually have people move it to the side of their body so it doesn't get in the way of the restraint. tiny wallet bags, we've never really denied someone to ride with it so it should be good!

Coaster Studios has a series that parodies new and old coasters as well as enthusiasts' reaction to them.  The target this time: Mystic Timbers.  If you know anything about these parodies, you'd know that they often tear apart new rides, but for Mystic Timbers they mainly just have some fun with The Shed.  A lot of these are pretty funny, and are obviously not intended to be taken seriously.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Sometime over the weekend they put anti-skid plating on the stairs to and from the Mystic Timbers station. While I never actually slipped, I was always worried about it when the steps were wet, so I find it comforting. 

I saw the anti-skid plates and got so happy. I have been running up the stairs before and fell face 1st before.  The stairs down the exit are also slippery and going down to help people I have almost ate many times

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 10:14 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

Coaster Studios has a series that parodies new and old coasters as well as enthusiasts' reaction to them.  The target this time: Mystic Timbers.  If you know anything about these parodies, you'd know that they often tear apart new rides, but for Mystic Timbers they mainly just have some fun with The Shed.  A lot of these are pretty funny, and are obviously not intended to be taken seriously.

Apparently every person featured in the video was required to have at least one zit ;-)

• Like 4

I recently rode in the front row and it was incredible! I don't know if this is the case in most wooden roller coasters, but I felt so close to the track and the scenery looked so much better. I don't know which song it was that played (I don't know much music after like 1900) but I got to appreciate the CGI much more than when I rode in the penultimate row :lol:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first ride on MT last Sunday. I got off all smiles. That is one of the best build outs that KI has had in a very long time. Like many, I was very happy to see that KI seems to be going back to theming rides and areas. This is one of the pieces of my child hood that I miss about KI. I got snakes in the shed, with Cars as the song. 

• Like 1

I always wondered how they know exactly who the 1 millionth rider is on these rides.  Do they literally keep track of every single person who rides, or is it more of an estimated guess?  Was this person really the millionth person to sit down on a Mystic Timbers train?  Maybe someone can explain how this works, cause I've always been curious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voicetek said:

I always wondered how they know exactly who the 1 millionth rider is on these rides.  Do they literally keep track of every single person who rides, or is it more of an estimated guess?  Was this person really the millionth person to sit down on a Mystic Timbers train?  Maybe someone can explain how this works, cause I've always been curious.

IIUC, there is a button in the drive box that the driver presses for each empty seat as the train is being dispatched. The computer also counts the number of trains dispatched. The number of riders is then calculated as (number of trains dispatched) × (number of seats per train) − (number of times empty seat button was pressed).

The real question is how they determine which individual rider on the train is the millionth. In reality, they're all riding simultaneously, so aren't they really all the co-millionth riders?

jcgoble3, co-two-millionth rider on Banshee ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"John Voigt of Cincinnati, OH scored the one millionth ride on the new Mystic Timbers roller coaster this evening. He was awarded a souvenir piece of wood from the ride, tote bag, front of the line passes, tickets to Halloween Haunt and a large sign proclaiming him as the coaster’s one millionth rider." -KI's Facebook post about it

• Like 4

The shed may not have immediately blown me or others away (although I enjoyed it I left it more confused than anything the first time), but the more often I go through, the more impressed I am by the depth of detail there is inside. 

Yesterday was my 40th visit of the season (not including Media Day) and I've rode Mystic Timbers at least dozens of times. I always look around and enjoy myself when sitting in the shed. Still, after all that time, I discovered two new-to-me things inside the shed. One is relatively minor, and the other is pretty major. 

One of the rusted signs on the wall is for parking at Los Angeles college. I can't make out the entire text of the sign due to rust and low light. 

The major thing I noticed has to do with the Miami River Lumber sign that is projected below the screen on the right. I had noticed it was a projection and had occasionally wondered about that a little. Yesterday, because I was riding near the front instead of the back like usual, I saw why. When the monsters start flowing across the right screen, small associated silhouettes briefly travel in front of the sign. I first noticed The Bat shadows flapping across, and on a subsequent ride saw snake shadows slither around. However, I was unable to "find" the tree on my half-dozen rides yesterday so I am not sure what the sign does in that ending. I suspect it may be bug shadows, but I can't say for sure. 

• Like 5

One thing I hope they do with the shed is do some minor changes every  year to keep it fresh.  Even after a few re-rides, it kind of loses its impact.  It's a nice little touch of added character for the ride, but it definitely would benefit with some variety.  

• Like 1

First rides on any coaster are unique and odd experiences. You may have a general idea of what to expect depending on the type of coaster. However, Mystic was different for me as it was my first GCI. I was underwhelmed my first ride due to the length of the ride but very very impressed by the ejector airtime and the fact it seems to haul ass throughout the whole ride. The curved drop was a very odd feeling but very fun, to say the least. The more and more I ride Mystic the more I start to fall for its uniqueness. Mystic isn't as good as Diamondback or Banshee but very close at the moment, but as I ride it more I hope that changes.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:51 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

Sometime over the weekend they put anti-skid plating on the stairs to and from the Mystic Timbers station. While I never actually slipped, I was always worried about it when the steps were wet, so I find it comforting. 

I never noticed that. Very good to hear.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:58 PM, MDMC01 said:

As for the most common songs I've heard, it's been "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Maneater". The other two songs, "Cars" and "Can't take my eyes off of you", have been very rare for me; I've heard them maybe once or twice each.

I've ridden it once. The song was "Maneater" - didn't realize that changed too. The ride itself was too rough and too short for my liking. I'll hit it again I'm sure, but I was a bit disappointed the first time.

Well, I rode Mystic Timbers once again about a week ago, and since it was a few months between my rides, I'll share my thoughts on my now updated opinion.

Mystic Timbers has gotten a bit rougher since my first ride in April- not by a lot, but it did actually feel like a classical wooden coaster instead of being smoother than Banshee this time. It didn't cause me any actual pain or anything though, and overall I actually thought it added to the ride a bit. The airtime and forces of all types (positive and lateral) also actually felt a bit stronger. It also helps that the trees around the ride have now grown in, so the "wooded" feeling is enhanced more as well. The shed is better on re-rides when you know what to expect and thus can look for all the hidden little secrets. Mystic Timbers, IMO, has gotten BETTER since its debut. Also I have gotten 2 of the 3 endings on my 3 rides, Bats twice and Snakes once.

Now I just need to get a night ride- it'll need to be super epic to surpass Beast as my favorite coaster overall, mainly because that ride gives super epic night rides, but Mystic Timbers does give the better ride during the daylight, especially if it's sunny and hot out (Beast is more fun IMO when the air is cooler). However, no matter how that ends up, I still think this was a great addition and it makes KI's wooden coaster lineup incredibly strong overall.

• Like 1

I don't usually watch video reviews, but I did enjoy yours. 

I think the reason you didn't "get" that we're meant to be going back in time is that we aren't meant to? The Miami River Lumber Company was supposed to have opened in the early 80s and closed very soon after: one day according to the woman from Holovis. If we were meant to be transported back to that time, presumably the insides of the shed would look new? It looks like it has aged quite a bit. 

I take issue with the "one day" part of the story, because it looks like it was used for a longer length of time before being abandoned. But I don't see anything to suggest there was no period of abandonment though. Your video is the first I have heard any suggestion that we're meant to be actually transported back to the 80s. 

The story as I see it is that there is something supernatural or alien in the woods that the lumber company chose. Cutting in the woods disturbed the creature and it frightened all the workers away so the mill was forced to close. Some government agency learned of the presence and took over monitoring the site and keeping people away from it, Men in Black if you will, because it doesn't make sense for the owners of a failed mill to be continuing to employ full time security and modern video surveillance (multiple cameras in the woods) on the site thirty five years later. We circumvent security with the intention of exploring, and end up meeting the creature in the shed. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 6:35 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

I think the reason you didn't "get" that we're meant to be going back in time is that we aren't meant to? The Miami River Lumber Company was supposed to have opened in the early 80s and closed very soon after: one day according to the woman from Holovis. If we were meant to be transported back to that time, presumably the insides of the shed would look new?

Yeah, "transported back to the 80's" was a bad way for me to phrase that. What I meant is that all the technology we're seeing/using is supposed to be from the 1980's (the trucks, the radio, etc.), and that was what didn't click with me until I thought about it.

I like your "government agency" approach to it, too; you're right that security cameras don't make sense as part of the mill. 

Either way, I'm glad you liked the video. I'm thinking about making some more, so hopefully they'll improve from here... :)

• Like 1

I finally rode Mystic Timbers for the first time on Sat. (I wanted to wait till the "new coaster" lines died down and with the small crowd on Sat. it was time.)I actually rode 3 times in roghly an hour.

For my first ride after talking in line I was advised that my first ride should be front row so that is what I did and it was great, from the time you leave the station it was all go, even the lift hill had some "story lines" to keep you involved so never a dull moment. Front row was great.

For my second ride I rode back row ,it was awesome getting pulled over the first drop and through the rest of the ride.

For my third ride I sat in the middle (row 6),another awesome ride.

I think one of my favorite surprise elements of the ride was the little "fake tilt" near the end of the ride.(Reminds me of King Cobra's similar element.)

I think this will be on my must do list from now on.(with a reasonable line)

Later,

Mark

P.S. I got bat, snake, bat.

• Like 5