Mystic Timbers Shed Music

Tien Shinhan

When I rode Mystic Timbers on Passholder Preview Day, my friend noticed in the shed the radio played "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Taylor. I later saw Coaster Studios Mystic Timbers rider cam POV with Alec Reynolds and OhioColts and the people in the comments section pointed out that "Maneater" by Hall and Oates played. Links to songs below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvLNRO41o64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqy2N1jM2tU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNZ1dV9KfQ

I'd like to ask does anyone else know the other songs that play on the shed radio.

I understand why they chose these songs as they're from the early 80's (which is strange because the truck out front is from the early 60's) when the Miami Valley Lumber Company was abandoned, but I question there use since it doesn't fit in well with the sheds dark and menacing atmosphere. Don't get me wrong I love Mystic Timbers, but I question the music they chose at the end. Below is a song from 1979 that in my opinion at least would have fit the overall atmosphere better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5AJHijgag

Do you agree with me? Do you disagree with me? Do you think there is an even more menacing song from the late 70's early 80's that you think is better.

MAYBE SOME SPOILERS... I'm on my phone and don't know how to hide text.

What's really the story with the Miami Valley Railroad? Like I was surprised to hear the music selections in videos, because I didn't get the vibe they were going for sort of. Maybe the song is more pleasant than sawblades or something. 

I hope I have the story 100 percent correct.

The Miami River Lumber Company was opened in 1983. The lumber company was open for one day when everyone ran out of the sawmill (shed.) They wrecked the truck on the way and never came back. You are now exploring the site that was abandoned years ago and seeing what happened in the shed.

• Like 12

The first two I believe are originals of the songs, that last one in the Coaster Studios POV I don't believe is the original of that song, couldn't find that cover when I looked for it. Think there might have been one more that was an instrumental riff (you've probably all heard it and would know it instantly but I don't know the name of that song) but I can't be sure.

I want to see them add Never Gonna Give You Up just so there can actually be a Rickroll in the shed. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell or We Built This City by Starship I could see working with that ambiance a bit too, especially the former.

LOVE that radio though! It makes the ride so much fun and I like how it adds a bit of happy in the dark shed, it feels so unnatural and out of place and makes the atmosphere so much more unsettling.

• Like 3

I believe the reason for the music being from the 80s is to show that the shed was a part of the facility where folks would listen to music. As nature takes back over it may turn the radio on and that's what plays. As you enter the shed there is a glitch in the audio...so I'd think that continues forward through the shed.

• Like 2

I know, @upstop and that would make a little more sense to go with the other four, but it most definitely was not a disco version of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You.

I think it would be fun if there was something disco tho, because while I think it was supposed to be officially "dead" by 1984, I enjoy the disco holdovers that I remember from my childhood. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, upstop said:

This version was made in 1982. 

We're playing that in the West Side Community Band at our concert this Sunday as part of a Jersey Boys medley.  I get a solo matching the first verse, which, I get to play around with the melody a bit (aka ad lib). B) 

• Like 2

I don't know how to do spoilers tag. But this may have spoilers of the story plot.

The story goes is there abandoned lumber mill. Your are two kids who snuck past the security officer post.  You are on mission to find the shed but the officer doesn't want you too. You hot wire the truck in hopes of getting away from the officer and he tell you not to go in the shed. But at the end you still make it in the shed. 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2017 at 0:37 AM, MaestroJr said:

On First Rider night, we all started clapping and dancing when "man eater" came on in the shed! Did anybody notice the old Coke machine that glitches up? 

YES we did the same, we were probably in the same train but we quickly got out of beat and it sounded bad:lol:

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, KatieF said:

MAYBE SOME SPOILERS... I'm on my phone and don't know how to hide text.

What's really the story with the Miami Valley Railroad? Like I was surprised to hear the music selections in videos, because I didn't get the vibe they were going for sort of. Maybe the song is more pleasant than sawblades or something. 

The music is supposed to be ironic. The song cars by Gary Newman is played in the shed. I know this because I heard it when I rode it. The song is about how he feels safe when in his car.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know, Chris, did not know this... do you know what time the night version comes on

(as I haven't really noticed a difference between those endings in day and night- for example, I've gotten the snake both during the day and at night, and I haven't noticed a significant difference (except maybe the door on the screen staying open or closed?))

• 4 years later...

I know people will probably skip over this topic, but do you ever hear the songs they play in the shed for Mystic Timbers at a grocery store? If not a grocery store, then where? I've heard Total eclipse of the heart several times in the Giant Eagle I used to work at. What's funny too is I'll randomly go home and re-listen to it to connect me to the moment of being on Mystic Timbers. Does anyone have these moments?

it’s more than the music that’s out of place.  

It’s  great to have better theming than Paramount that is somewhat coherent with Rivertown (lumber company) and having themed trains. 

However 60s truck does not belong in the steam train era!     They should have went for model T era truck and train theme. 

Also how much effort would it take tj change that music for Winterfest and even Haunt?    Small touches matter. 

14 hours ago, super7 said:

it’s more than the music that’s out of place.  

It’s  great to have better theming than Paramount that is somewhat coherent with Rivertown (lumber company) and having themed trains. 

However 60s truck does not belong in the steam train era!     They should have went for model T era truck and train theme. 

Also how much effort would it take tj change that music for Winterfest and even Haunt?    Small touches matter. 

Agree with the change at haunt. To not do it is super lazy considering it’s screens. The Christmas trim is also illogical. It’s beautiful swags with cotton,  wheat and flickering lanterns… in an abandoned lumber mill. Where are the glitchy c9 bulbs and faded creepy blow molds I can give them a pass on the truck in that the whole “period” theming and story is long gone. Id be happy with a “reclaimed urban exporter, outdoor adventure outfitter theme that uses a vintage train to transport their white water raft riders to the head waters. Even age the train so it looks old instead of shiny and new. They just repainted the arcade building which further muddies the story. Is everything old and abandoned, period new, or just clueless theme park architecture? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Agree with the change at haunt. To not do it is super lazy considering it’s screens. 

The reason that screens were selected in the first place was so that they could be changed for Halloween and Christmas. Not sure why the park never followed through on that.

• Like 1