Mystic Timbers Shed aging (Warning Shed Spoiler)

MaestroJr

My opinion is that Mystic Timbers is a terrific coaster but the shed is also a nice touch, but do you guys think that Mystic Timbers shed will receive regular maintenance and care for the long run or do you think it may go the way of Adventure Express. And also do you think that losing the shed to any technical problems will make Mystic Timbers any less appealing?                     

I would actually go the route of saying not only the shed will be kept up as this will be a top ride for MANY years to come, and also say that we could see improvements to the shed as more and more technology is available. I'm fine with whatever route they go as long as it doesn't kill capacity.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FoF is still kicking so I think the lighting and video snippets will stick around for a while. These don't seem to be too expensive to replace over time. Would love for them to add things like air nozzles, foggers, and water sprayers. The shed seems like it will be very flexible and easily updated in the future.

One thing I believe is worth noting is that the projector screens in the shed can certainly be changed. Canada's Wonderland does it with WMG (goes from the dragon movie to zombies for Halloween Haunt) so for Winterfest or Haunt or any events where Timbers runs they could easily customize it. I'd love to see zombies or some guy with a chainsaw for Haunt!

• Like 2

In addition to Oakley, Diamondback, and The Bat, I think that The Beast (in the form of a groundhog maybe?) and Banshee, maybe Firehawk or some aliens from FoF, need to make appearances too. Maybe special for Haunt or something. 

One complaint I have is that if you're in or near the front of the train, you can often see the front screen doing its thing for the previous train before you even enter the shed. Also, I feel like there isn't enough randomness between the shows (or just too few options so far). Out of 16 rides now, I've gotten bats the vast majority of the time, the tree three times, and the snakes maybe five times. Tonight I could see that the prior train had bats and we still had bats too.

• Like 6

Spoiler below.

Of the three times I rode, I got snakes every time. As @Magenta Lizard suggested, it could be fun to include other park characters - maybe Bubba from Adventure Express, or have a throwback to the Demon from Screamin' Demon.

Something small I think could make the shed a little more realistic would be having the projected doors at the end stay shut until the scene begins. They currently swing in the "wind", which makes it obvious it's a screen. Keeping them shut could help them pass off as actual doors, and make the big event more unexpected.

• Like 6

My 12yr old son and I rode this past weekend. Loved the ride (very re-rideable and smooth compared to Thunderhead) and theming of the shed, but could have done without the screens which I feel are a distraction from the other cool stuff in the shed like props, flickering lights, etc..  My son even said the animations were pretty cheesy, but perhaps they'll improve.

I was wondering "will they change the shed according to the season?" like during Haunt will they make it more scary or during Winter fest will they play Christmas music  in place of the 80's music. Along with this I came to a realization, since The Shed its self is digital they could change something in it!

On 4/16/2017 at 9:39 PM, TheBEASTunchained said:

The tree (Oakley) seems to be a rare occurance for some reason.....

I only saw it once out of 20 rides on Thursday. Strange. 

my rides where exactly the same of my 18 rides I only got tree once and snakes the most

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mystic.Timber1 said:

I was wondering "will they change the shed according to the season?" like during Haunt will they make it more scary or during Winter fest will they play Christmas music  in place of the 80's music. Along with this I came to a realization, since The Shed its self is digital they could change something in it!

I like that idea as well.  I found myself defending this to a lot of other folks in the park for this reason.

I do have my doubts that they will run this at Winterfest, but I could be wrong

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

I like that idea as well.  I found myself defending this to a lot of other folks in the park for this reason.

I do have my doubts that they will run this at Winterfest, but I could be wrong

My friend KIGhostguy said that they will be running MT during Winter Fest

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mystic.Timber1 said:

I would love to see this as well. Like maybe add "I Put a Spell on You" during Haunt or stuff liek "Last Christmas" for Winterfest music wise. Coudl also ad some christmas lights or stuff.

• Like 1

While in line for MT I got a text from a friend that said, "Want to know what's in the shed? #Disappointment" - and I have to admit, it was very AE-like for us. I'm optimistic though - there's plenty of technology and opportunity there - as a prior poster mentioned, foggers, misters, other lighting - maybe it's just not yet finished. :-)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rhyano said:

It's finished, and also maybe your friend was expecting a little too much? This is Cedar Fair, not Seaworld or Universal.

So much space... so much opportunity... just fogging it would add a bunch - esp if done near the entrance so the following train can't see in so easily...

• Like 4

Some fog would be nice, just a very faint layer will do so you can still see the screen or making it timed to the monster somehow.  I think most of all I would like to see is more vines and fake plants in the shed to make it look like even more that nature is taking over.

• Like 1

I think fog and mist look great on any rollercoaster. A lot of the disappointment with the shed comes with all the expectations that were built up by the ad campaign. I think people were expecting something physical, like a drop or a scary looking tree with glowing red eyes. In retrospect, it actually makes sense to do what they did because it allows for updating the experience without re-designing that part of the ride. 

• Like 2

So, I finally got to ride MT tonight.  My wife and I took a short trip out there this evening after work just to ride it.  Since it was our first ride, we weren't sure what to expect.  However, when we got to the shed, our ride stopped.  Not sure if it was a loading issue or what, but we just sat in the shed for a few minutes.  Since we weren't sure what we were supposed to experience, we never were quite sure if what was happening was normal, or if there was an issue.  After a while, of course, we figured something wasn't right.  Finally, we heard the music kick on and then our train traveled forward and then stopped again.  Again, nothing was happening.  I saw the screen with the swinging doors, but nothing for at least a minute or so.  Then all of a sudden, we saw animations of bats come up on the side screen and then a large bat on the main screen in front of us.  Then our train rolled through the exit.  It was weird and a little distracting since we seemed to be experiencing some technical issues. 

So here's what we thought:  I wish there was fog.  For some reason I was under the impression that there was fog.  Was there supposed to be, or is this ride just void of fog?  Another thing, it would have been cool if the saw blades hanging on the wall would've started spinning by themselves.  I was kind of waiting for them to, but nothing.  Also, what's up with the wall on the right side? A couple of girls behind us starting freaking out because they thought something was going to pop up from behind the wall. Of course, nothing happened.  The big wall just seemed out of place and distracting cause it did lead you to believe that something was behind it.  Finally, I wasn't too impressed with the animated projections.  If you've read any of my past posts you'll know that I despise the use of screens in dark rides and prefer physical props.  Since I know now that the animations in the shed change, then that makes a little more sense.  I can understand WHY they did it, but I still don't have to like it B).

One final thing we discussed was the upkeep on the shed.  I really hope the shed doesn't turn into the whole "Boocifer projection on fog" thing.  I do hope they keep up with the maintenance and keep everything functioning like it's supposed to.  I'd also hate to see the shed go the way of the final Adventure Express tunnel and get no love whatsoever year after year.

My thoughts on the ride are mixed.  I absolutely loved the coaster itself, but was underwhelmed by the shed.  I guess that's to be expected after months and months of hype and build up.  KI was just asking for guests to be let down after a hashtag campaign that lasted for 7-8 months.  Although the shed does offer a somewhat unique ending to a sweet coaster, I don't think it was worth all the hype.  I think KI could've done themselves a favor and hyped up the actual ride instead.  The shed could've just been a bonus and, had we not known, we might've been pleasantly surprised by the theming of it.  Oh well.  We got a great coaster out of the whole thing and that's what's important.  I'm looking forward to many more rides on it this season.

• Like 2

I agree with most about the train and its position of where you sit and how much you see.

It would be nice for the train to pull up a few more feet and then stay there until the front screen is mostly done.

If in front you see beginning but not end, if in back you see end not beginning.

Hoping they read this and can adjust the placement of the train for the Shed.

• Like 1

I was actually super impressed with the shed, but I knew what was going to be in it before I rode it. I had a little trouble seeing the first screen of you're towards the back of the car, so I truthfully can't tell you what was on it. 

I think the shed is cool because you can play with it over the years. If the screens start to get the Boocifer effect and not work, I think some old parlor tricks of something moving by itself or other ghostly activity would be super neat and would add to the creepy sawmill vibe. It wouldn't be monster themed, but it'd be neat. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, forgive me for being pessimistic, but I feel like we really should document all the elements of the shed so we know when things change.  I've heard some rumors of people talking about "easter eggs" if you know what to look for, and I'm curious if anyone has noticed something that most might miss.  

Theming tends to deteriorate.  Whether it is Adventure Express (the spears used to pop out!), Tomb Raider (the eyes used to flash!), or whatever.

Spoilers ahead!

The 3 video endings all appear to be timed for different parts of the train.  So depending on where you are sitting, the ending you see the most of is probably the one timed for your seat location.  If you are sitting in the front and get the tree ending, you are not going to see the tree pretty much at all.

I have yet to hear anyone definitely say what is different between daytime and nighttime endings.

The vintage Coke machine not only lights up, but it also moves.  I don't think I picked up on that until maybe my 7th or 8th ride.  

There is black light paint high up above you which is revealed when the lights flash as the train begins to move.  As far as I could tell, it all said something like "It's in the shed".  

The voice warning just outside the pre-shed (transfer block) glitches when it says "do not go into the shed".  At first I thought this was not on purpose, but it seems to do it every time.  

What else have other noticed?  Of the above details, am I off the mark on some of them?