Instrumental music returns to International Street

BeeastFarmer

They were playing George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue down International Street this morning! I always loved this piece. For those who don't know, it was used in Fantasia 2000 for the sequence that involved a busy city and also appeared in Woody Allen's Manhattan and Gremlins 2 and really fits this part of the park rather well. (Plus, I am a sucker for classical music, as well as classic rock, both of which I love hearing in the park. Contemporary pop can take a long walk off a short pier for all I'm concerned :D )

• Like 10

The long-awaited return of instrumental music to International Street did what jcgoble3, freaks76 and others have tried and failed to do. I spent a good deal of time there this weekend, enjoying the atmosphere without power walking to the next ride.

Jonathan, there are KIC members who can vouch for that statement's accuracy, should you need verification.

• Like 11

Yesterday I actually heard a couple songs that I heard at Kings Dominion on International Street! In fact, the very first one I heard upon arrival at the park was "Romantic Flight" from How to Train Your Dragon, (which I heard at Kings Dominion while walking out after closing) and it was so cool that the very first song I heard at Kings Island for the 2017 season was one of my favorite movie soundtracks!! :D Also, when I was on my way out of the park, I heard Dimitri Tiomkin's "The High and the Mighty," which, fun fact, was the soundtrack that played on the very first WindSeeker cycle that I cleared. :) 

I agree wholeheartedly that the instrumental music makes walking up or down International Street soooo much more relaxing...and I hope it carries on to many future seasons!

• Like 14

As I have discussed it with one of the people who created the new playlist for I-Street (he put in a lot of hours of work on it), I can guarantee you it isn't just "the same as KD's", although it may have some overlap of individual songs. 

Some of my best time the past couple days was spent sitting by the fountains chatting with friends and enjoying the ambiance. 

It looks like Oakley (or as I like to call him, Stumpy) has been doing a little bit of renovations in between Beast's upper and lower queues:

IMG_2031.JPG

I was on the fence about getting the drink plan, although it is the first year I even considered buying it thanks to the disposable option. I did, and I already have used it at least seven times. It is definitely going to be worth it for me!

• Like 17

As I have discussed it with one of the people who created the new playlist for I-Street (he put in a lot of hours of work on it), I can guarantee you it isn't just "the same as KD's", although it may have some overlap of individual songs. 
Some of my best time the past couple days was spent sitting by the fountains chatting with friends and enjoying the ambiance. 
It looks like Oakley (or as I like to call him, Stumpy) has been doing a little bit of renovations in between Beast's upper and lower queues:

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.460d5214faf8599ee92e9d8bf792a81a.JPG
I was on the fence about getting the drink plan, although it is the first year I even considered buying it thanks to the disposable option. I did, and I already have used it at least seven times. It is definitely going to be worth it for me!

MagentaLizard, please pass along many thanks to the creators of the IS playlist! One of the highlights of my visit on Friday! Probably the whole season!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 9

This deserves its own topic, so I split it off from the 2017 Kings Island discussion thread.

Instrumental music on International Street helps create a bold front gate statement at KI. Expectations are set high from the moment guests enter the park - as they should be.

• Like 11

When I walked into the park yesterday, I couldn't stop getting chills up my spine from the music. That instrumental music fits International Street so well! (Especially since the pop music never sent chills up my spine) I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but wow! What a wonderful way to start a Kings Island adventure!!

• Like 10

I actually (and very politely) stopped by Mr. Scheid and his entourage in Coney Mall and said "Guys, the music on International Street: Huge WIN! Excellent move! Love it!" and the gentleman who was with him, who was wearing a polo shirt and had brown hair (I didn't read his name tag) took off his sunglasses, looked me in the eye and said "Thank you! Welcome back!"

Huge win! So very glad to have it back! I heard John Williams' Theme from E.T.: The Extraterrestrial while looking at Wayne's glass creations, and I was transformed back to when I was a kid, blown away by the majesty of it all. Awesome. Just awesome. A million times :wub:

• Like 18

Yesss! KD is my home CF park so I've had this since 2014, and I'm super excited this is at KI now! Now all the area needs is some more flowers and trees and it could complete with KDs International Street.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Finally, finally, finally!  I'm so excited to hear this!  I didn't get to make it out this past weekend at all, so I kind of missed this pleasant surprise!  I'm hoping to make it out sometime this weekend and I'm looking forward to experiencing this myself.

• Like 5

Is it bad that I actually said "oh heck yes" to myself when I saw this topic?

I don't know why, but whenever I hear a song at Kings Island, I will ALWAYS associate that song with Kings Island. And seeing as how I've been waiting for the return of this atmospheric orchestra, I certainly can't wait for my visit at the beginning of June.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Rainstormdx said:

Is it bad that I actually said "oh heck yes" to myself when I saw this topic?

Not at all. I was pumped to hear George Gershwin playing right near the Eiffel Tower. An amusement park, for me, is all about escapism. Hearing the same crappy songs you hear at Walmart isn't escapism. 

Now I'm just worried how long the international music will stay. Forever, I hope!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, KingsMills79 said:

I also grew up with KI as my home park in the late 70's.

Does the new IS soundtrack sound like the old Parisian/accordian music from back in the day or is "classical-crossover" like the masterpieces? 

There's both orchastra and the European accordion/violin (?) music from what I could  tell Friday.

• Like 2

I drive my co-workers up the wall each weekend because I play the "International Street Soundtrack-Kings Dominion Music" by Busch Dominion on YouTube.  I'm hoping an adept YouTuber can do something of a like manner with the IS Soundtrack for KI.  Sounds like KI's version is much longer.  I'm looking forward to my next visit already.

• Like 3

The lights in the Royal Fountains came on briefly on Saturday night, and it blended beautifully with the Rhapsody in Blue playing over I-Street. Then they suddenly cut off, only to be lit by the spots atop International Restaurant-ish place thingy (don't know what that is called now). Someone told me there's an electric beam that is supposed to cut out the lights in case someone tries jumping into the fountains, and that the Canada geese keep moving around in it.  If true... smart! If not, well, anyway the music is gorgeous!

• Like 5

I'm beyond ecstatic to hear classical music on IS again. Icing on the cake would be if Khachaturian's Sabre dance has also made it's way to the playlist. It's amazing what you can remember from your childhood, and I can definitely remember this from the KI of the 80s. 

• Like 4

From what I could hear, this is what I could come up with.

"End Credits" from ET The Extra Terrestrial- John Williams

Main Title/ The Winton Flyer from The Reivers- John Williams

Theme to Born on the Fourth of July- John Williams

"Prologue" from Hook- John Williams 

Fanfare for the Common Man- Aaron Copland

Ride of the Valkyries- Richard Wagner

Fascination- Billy Vaughn

Theme to Eragon- Patrick Doyle

Main Theme from The Cider House Rules- Rachel Portman

"Gabriel's Oboe" from The Mission- Ennio Morricone

Theme to The High and the Mighty- Dimitri Tiomkin

Lohengrin Prelude Act III- Richard Wagner/ Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic

The Sons of Katie Elder Theme- Elmer Bernstein

An American in Paris- George Gershwin (Performed by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra 1959)

Rhapsody in Blue- George Gershwin (Performed by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra 1959)

"Morning Routine" from Rio- John Powell

"Romantic Flight" from How to Train your Dragon- John Powell

"Homeland" from Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron- Hans Zimmer

Spanish Gypsy Dance/ España Cañi- The Manhattan Pops

Hörnli Hütte Marsch- Peter Zinsli

Eins, Zwei, Saufen (German drinking song) instrumental- Unknown

"Speak Softly Love" from The Godfather- David Davidson; Written by Nino Rota

"The Sunny Vista Motel" from Bedtime Stories- Rupert Gregson-Williams

Overture from Wonderland- Jason Howland

La Vie En Rose- Mantovani and his Orchestra

"Gusty Garden Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy- Mahito Yokota

"River Crossing" from True Grit- Carter Burwell

"Aquarium" from Carnival of the Animals- Camille Saint Saëns

Ending to the Forrest Gump theme- Alan Silvestri

There are a few pieces I am missing, but I will update this.

EDIT: Another song identified from the playlist.

• Like 7

^ I tossed those into a playlist on Spotify, Not all of them are there though due to the fact that some of the songs do not show up on Spotify at all. (Sadly...)

I did a replacement for the Ending to the Forrest Gump theme, since I couldn't find that one.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1254863967/playlist/2z3PRJVrDOY0db5mBVVDee

• Like 2